How far can you stretch a chicken?

• I tend to think I'm pretty good at making food go far - thrifty Scottish upbringing - but I just wondered how far others could stretch it.

I've just roasted one this afternoon. It's only a small one, I think it would only do 3 meals total, and I've had one already. I'll boil the carcase for soup - any favourite recipes would be welcome - but what else could I do?

Ta.
  • I usually have roast chicken the first night, chicken salad with the rest of the meat, and then make soup with the carcass. If there were giblets and a neck inside I save those up and boil them for my dogs food.

I've also taken a whole chicken and cut the whole thing in half, bbq one half and back when I ate them, I would make chicken and dumplings with the other half.

Just me and DH here now so I can take one breast side and make stir fry, the other breast side and blacken, cut it into strips and put it on top of a big green salad. Then I like to take the legs and thighs and coat them with almond meal and parmesean cheese, lay them on a small baking sheet with a little evoo on it and drizzle a bit more over the top and bake for 35 minutes at 400. The other night I did this with crushed walnuts.

Also when I roast a whole chicken I stick a peeled onion, an orange or an apple inside while roasting, keeps it moist and gives a little flavor.
  • I can get 3 meals out of a chicken, First cut the chicken up into parts.

Breasts- Chicken Parmesan
    Thighs and legs-Oven fried chicken
    Wing and everything else-chicken noodle soup
  • Is it a rubber chicken or just really flexible?
  • Quote: Is it a rubber chicken or just really flexible?