Taste buds

• Do you find that food just tastes better now? Yesterday for lunch I had some sushi that had smoked salmon with avocado It just tasted like heaven! Before going out for lunch might mean going to a chinese buffet and shoving it in and walking out so stuffed I thought I was going to be sick! Now I ate my sushi slowing enjoying it and ate to where I just didn't feel hungry anymore.

I just ate a mango for my snack and I really enjoyed the flower and juiciness of it it. May be now I am focusing on quality more then quantity. I feel like my taste buds have just opened up and I'm really nothing the wonderful flavor of food.
  • I know what you mean, I am noticing flavor more in my food. Yesterday I had tomatos, onion, and avocado on green pepper wedges and I just could not believe how delicious it tasted. I just had baked eggplant, diced tomatoes, and a little tomato sauce with a sprinkling of chs and noticed that it was really good too.
  • Yep. You especially start to notice how fast food has NO flavor to it, it pretty much tastes all the same. I love veggies...I can't get enough of them. I could eat squash, cucumbers and tomatos everyday and never get sick of them! Mmmmmm...
  • Oh yes, I'm TOTALLY noticing this, too! I guess all the mindless stuffing my face never left me really savoring anything. Yesterday I bought a local peach at a farm market, and it was the best peach I have ever had in my life. Granted, it WAS a really good peach, but I don't know if I would have fully appreciated it before like I did now. I am REALLY enjoying the taste of everything and actually the act of eating MUCH more. Who knew??!!
  • Honestly, no. When I did South Beach, yes, definitely. For me I guess giving up carbs makes other things taste so much sweeter.

But I can say that I no longer crave food, and that's something. And fatty fast food no longer tastes as good as it used to. I supposed if I hadn't had the SBD experience of "Oh my goodness, that apple tastes like sugar!" I'd think that yes, food tastes better now. But this time it's not that food tastes better as much as I just don't need it any more.
  • I also quit smoking a few months before I started the healthy eating, so for me it's doubly so. I eat raw sugar snap peas now and they are sooo delicious, all the fresh veggies are. And cheese, omg, I used to eat tons and tons of cheese, but I never enjoyed it nearly as much as I enjoy the small amounts I now eat. Chicken always just tasted like whatever fatty sauce I covered it in and I could not stand it plain because it was too bland. Now I LOVE a nice plain chicken breast. I now know what chicken tastes like. Food is amazing to me now, not just something to stop my tummy rumblings.
  • I also stopped smoking in November and started my diet in April. Those two things really improved my tasting abilities. I love the way food tastes, and I notice how salty some foods really are! Before, when I just stuffed my face full, I could never taste salt or anything else. Now, I can pick out distinct flavors and I love it. I've grown especially fond of chicken santa fe salads with black beans, rice and jalapeno-raspberry vinaigrette.