Skin...

• I'm curious how many people are planning or hoping to have some kind of cosmetic surgery to remove excess skin when they are done?
    The thought of having all this excess skin haunts me! It may sound ridiculous to some people, but I am confident now, and I have thought of some random scenarios that freak me out LOL. I'm single, and right now I have no anxiety about getting naked with whoever I might be dating at the moment (yes, I know I am fat, but I also know that whoever I am with is just freaking happy to get me naked and that they are obviously attracted to me... they like the big chest, butt, whatever). But... if I looked great IN clothes... (a normal/healthy weight), but had all this skin hanging off me... it literally makes me want to cry, just thinking about it. And I doubt I would ever be able to afford any kind of surgery to fix it, unless my insurance could be convinced it was necessary.
  • I plan on having a tummy tuck when all is said and done. Of course, I am going to wait until I'm done having kids (which is what is recommended). I have some loose skin, stretch marks from being overweight as well as having my daughter, and I know that not all that skin is going to tighten.

I figured after all the work I've done with personal training, eating right, doing everything I'm supposed to do, that if there is an imperfection like extra skin, I owe it to myself to take care of it.

Of course, when you find that right person, they will love you for you - I wouldn't worry about the extra skin. I have quite a bit right now and my hubby still finds me attractive. You have nothing to worry about.
  • When I first started this journey I thought, no way. However, for the last 2 months the excess skin has been getting more and more noticable. Thanks to another thread here, I lovingly refer to it as my elephant skin now. My legs look exactly like elephant legs with wrinkly, droopy excess skin on my inner thighs. I have decided that once I get to goal and stay there for a year, I would consider it, but like you, I don't think I could really afford to do to much. My priority would be to get my bat wings taken care of. I would love to be wearing some sleeveless shirts this summer, but have been stuck wearing 3/4 sleeve tops to cover them. Next would be a tummy tuck. Of course my DH would like for me to get the girls lifted, but since he is the only one who sees them I figure a push up bra will have to do.
  • I really don't know how I feel about the whole thing. I'm hoping it won't be a huge issue for me and I'm not really that concerned about a little bit of excess skin here and there. I really just don't think I can justify anything until I've had children, which won't be for a long time.
  • I have given it some thought, in particular about having a tummy tuck to remove the apron I currently have and also a boob lift because the more I lose the saggier and more deflated they look.
    Hubby has said that if I reach the point where I decide that I need it he will support me in going for it, but I really don't know.
    For one thing, I've only had surgery once before (gallbladder removal), and I was and still am terrified of surgery so that puts me off.
    But you know what puts me off the most, the thought that if I did go for it I wouldn't be able to exercise for several weeks and would be sat here at home feeling sorry for myself, and probably end up doing what I've worked myself out of doing over the last 12 months, comfort eating. The thought of anything stopping me carrying on this new healthy lifestyle fills me with fear...
    And finally, when dressed I actually feel pretty good about myself nowadays. I've still got a way to go to goal and things are still improving all the time. So for now I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, get to goal and then give it some time to see if things still keep improving. 12 months ago I never thought I'd look like I do now, so who knows how I'll look in another 12.
  • I will have to say no, from the perspective of we aren't very rich. If we had more money I might consider it. But I would wait until I was sure I was done having kids.
    I also would always worry about gaining weight and having it end up being for nothing, you know what I mean? I would have to maintain several years to prove to myself that I could do it before I decided to have the surgery.
  • When I first started I was all about surgery to fix my extra skin. Now? It's really not as bad as I thought. The more I maintain the better I look as far as the extra skin goes. My body isn't going to be perfect by any means but I'm very happy with myself as a whole
  • Yaaaa about that.... I plan on a tummy tuck, hahaa && if my arms dont fix themselves theyre gonna get an attitude adjustment from the plastic surgeon as well. I also.see new hooters in my future.
  • Honest to god, I am so delighted with the body I have now that my moments of annoyance at my loose skin are nothing in comparison. It just really doesn't matter compared to being able to fit into size 10 pants.

Though, to be fair, I am already pretty firmly hitched. Were I dating, I might mind more.
  • I'm pretty confident that the loose skin issues I have will get better over time. I want to maintain for at least a year or two and then see how the skin issues compare before deciding on surgery or not.

I think once your body fat is low enough and you've gained muscle, the skin appearance improves dramatically.
  • I am considering upper arm surgery some day. I may never do it but I have gone from "no way" to " maybe". I hate my upper arms and would love to be able to wear short sleeves without skin (and fat) from my upper arms hanging below my sleeves.
  • Please keep in mind that this is serious surgery, even though it has a cute name like "tummy tuck" or "boob lift." And, keep in mind that you are trading some saggy skin for scars, and that you may need further surgery down the line to fix the scarring.

That said, some people are really happy with the results and glad they did it. It's up to you--it is expensive, and you should make sure you have a highly recommended cosmetic surgeon. They are not all the same.

First, lose the weight. Then, keep it off for a couple of years. Then decide whether you want to have loose skin removed. That's my 2 cents.

Jay
  • There have been other posts about surgery and skin in other areas of the forum, if you have the time to look for them. I think maybe in the "maintainers" or "looking good" areas. I know one of the moderators has had surgery, so I'm sure if you take the time to read, you'll find more good information.

Me, personally, would have a breast reduction now if $6,000 would fall into my lap. And after I lose it, I would consider a tummy tuck, though I know that's a more major surgery.
  • I am actually saving money for surgery. I can't afford it, so it's going to be a ways in the future once I've kept the weight off for a while.
    I remember how unhappy I was with all the extra skin the last time the weight came off, but I lost the weight for the wrong reasons and I wasn't committed to it. This time the loss is for ME and ONLY me, and the surgery will be too.
  • Oo, thanks, I didn't think of looking at those groups