Zucchini Hashbrowns

• Ingredients:

1.5 pounds or 4 cups of coarsely shredded zucchini
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
    6 tbsp Parmesan cheese
    cooking spray

Directions:
    • Combine zucchini with salt in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze to press out moisture.
    • Stir in eggs and cheese.
    • Fry in skillet over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides. I use cooking spray but the original recipe calls for butter.
    The first time I made these was a side dish but from then on it was a great alternative to eggs for PH1 breakfast. I have refrigerated them for several days and microwaved them as needed. They are not as good as right out of the pan but still tasty. You could add garlic, onion, or pepper to taste.

BTW - I don't usually like cooked zucchini at all, unless it is in quick bread, but I can happily eat it this way.
  • Made a variation of these for breakfast today with added onion, garlic, red chili flakes & black pepper. I call them zucchini pancakes!

Crappy iPhone pic is attached.

• We tried these tonight and they were a hit. I didn't have the parmesan but will definitely use that next time. Lots of zucchini right now so next time will be soon.

Hmm, I wonder how I could use shredded dehydrated zucchini for this recipe.
  • Finally made these today...I had completely forgotten about them. I think I need to squeeze them harder next time to get all the moisture out (I had to drain the pan a couple of times), but they were still very yummy.
  • I made these this morning and it was delish. I am in Ph 2 so I added 1 Japanese Sweet Potato to one large zucchini, 1/4 onion and let it sweat. Didn't get all the moisture out though so now I know. Added the cheese and egg to it with some black pepper. It made 8 pretty decent sized patties! Next time, I may also throw some green pepper in the processor and grate it in the mixture too!
  • Just wanted to share how much we enjoy these. We have a large garden with many zucchinis to use. I shred them, freeze it in 4 c. quantities for various recipes. The advantage in using the frozen squash is that, when thawing it zucchini naturally releases its water. Just squeeze dry and use as above without having to do the salting phase. My husband requests these often. Thanks for sharing! Linda