EMOTIONAL EATING: How to heal ...

You're on Page 5 of 5
Go to
  • This is one of my biggest setbacks, emotional eating! Usually I end up eating all the wrong kinds of food, then I go over my calorie limit that makes me feel like I'm failing. Vicious cycle!
  • Quote:
    This is one of my biggest setbacks, emotional eating! Usually I end up eating all the wrong kinds of food, then I go over my calorie limit that makes me feel like I'm failing. Vicious cycle!
    Yes, this is a common issue for many people, but I do believe you can manage it better with practice. I slipped up twice last month (both were stress/emotion induced) but I just kept going and did well for the rest of the month. I think that is key; push away those negative thoughts and say the opposite of whatever you are thinking. In this case: I AM A SUCCESS or I CAN SUCCEED!!!

I don't fret if I am over by a small amount but on those days that it is more, I try to learn from it and do better the next day. I look for strategies in what food choices I make (continue on or I may cut back just a tad); plus change how I RESPOND to the stress; and look for ways to get that stress out of my life permanently (if possible), or at least lessen it by some degree. There are solutions but we just have to be creative and look for them.

Those solutions can help us get out of the cycle ...

MORE TIPS: I try to change my focus when I am stressed or upset. Lately I have been going for walks and pushing myself to go a bit further each time. I noticed that this is helping me overcome some kinds of stresses. I pray and encourage myself as I am going along and that helps some too.

AS FOR FOOD CHOICES: here's one that really helps me a lot these days -- it is better to eat a sandwich or a bowl of cereal than a bag of junkies. The calorie and nutritional differences are huge; plus you will feel a lot more satisfied and you'll have no guilt to deal with later on.
  • I have been finding some great songs about loving ourselves on Youtube.com over the last while. Here's one that is really upbeat and fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YUfy58Gac4

You're worth more than GOLD by Britt Nicole

I really like this one as it talks about never giving up and reminding ourselves that we are indeed OVERCOMERS sung by Mandisa ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29olPjFbqg

EDIT2ADD: I have a bunch of encouraging songs that I turn to that give my spirit a lift whenever I am under stress or just need boost. I like to listen to my favorites each night before I go to bed too, and I often find myself singing them in my sleep when I wake up during the night. The songs that I have been sharing in this thread & the PRAYER WARRIOR's Thread are my favorites, and help me the most. I find they help me focus on the positive, esp when I feel that I am being oppressed by some person or situation. I sing along with them and I am filled with GOD's Love and Peace once again.
  • Thank You!
    Rosebud, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, ideas, and journey with us! I have been struggling to get back on board with weight loss for years now, and ~ since I do have a very strong faith ~ I know that the only way I am going to do this is with God's help. The information you have shared is going to be so helpful to me on my journey toward a healthier self..... inside and out. I appreciate you taking the time to share and type out all of the information that is helpful to you. It will be helpful to me and many others!
  • BELEIVEinME -- THANKS, I am so glad that the things I have learned through this WL journey will help others too. I'm still working hard at it; just came back from my walk.
  • This is a great thread. I love the Bible passages that others posted.

I would like to meet more Christians who share my faith, I am Episcopal. I go to my local church, although I have thought about trying a different church.

It's so nice to get to know all of you.

Take care,

Amy
  • AMY -- Thanks, glad you like the thread. Why don't you join us over in the new October 2013 CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS Thread; that is our monthly Christian Chat thread in this forum where our regulars hang out too ...

I am still using a lot of these tips each day to help me avoid emotional eating. Lately, I have used de-stressing techniques and they have help a lot. 1) keeping negative & toxic people out of your life; 2) going to bed earlier; 3) reading and saying positive scriptures; 4) reading praise Psalms; 5) singing and listening to positive music; 6) relaxation techniques 7) and clearing the mind of negative thoughts by repeating the name of JESUS like a mantra and/or singing a song about him; this really helps me the most.
  • I'm posting here for 2 reasons today:

First, our dear friend Rosebud has passed away this weekend after battling so strongly and optimistically with cancer. Because of this, I wanted to boost this thread so more could see it--her wisdom, knowledge, and spiritual insight is overwhelmingly apparent throughout this thread. She shared so much of herself, her faith, and God's word here and I wanted everyone to get another opportunity to be reminded of her wisdom and her leading us in God's word for strength against our emotional responses and our habits.

God blessed you, Rosebud (Dianne), and blessed us with you! I'll be needing your advice very much through these days of knowing you've gone ahead to be with our Savior. I'll be looking forward to the day I get to meet you in person.
  • So sorry to hear about Dianne. I book marked this some time ago, it is a great thread. Thanks for sharing the news, ronni62.