Decided South Beach

• August 12 will mark 2 Years since learning I'm Type II Diabetic. I wasn't officially Diagnosed until early October 2008. My Physician told me all Type II's are IR, Insulin Resistant. After much thought, I believe the South Beach Diet is tailored for my specific needs. I would be concerned to progress onto Phase II and Phase III, as my Body doesn't Metabolize Carbs well. Is it a must that we advance, or can we stay at Phase I?
  • Butter Butt! The South Beach Diet is a great plan for diabetics, and it's even recommended that diabetics skip Phase 1 completely and start with Phase II to get the added nutrients your body needs.
  • Since you have not had any sugar in a couple of years, then you've basically already done phase one. It's just a "detox from sugars" period, and not a diet that one should really live on for life, whereas phases 2 and 3 are.

SB is about complex carbs instead of simple carbs which "play nice" with your BS by digesting slowly.

Have you read the book yet? It has a much better explaination of how this way of eating will affect your body.

You might also want to do some research on the benefits of adding chia seeds
    to your diet
    (I sip them all day long in drinks). They are supposed to really help control BS.
  • to South Beach. It is a great plan for diabetics and can really help keep things under control. My DW is diabetic and now that she eats pretty much the way I do her numbers are going down a bit and she has been able to decrease two of her meds.

Ruth can tell you more specifics but I also think that it is recommended that diabetics start with Phase II.

This is a great forum for support and information. You will see some threads that really can help you stay on track. The Chicks here are friendly and always willing to offer ideas and suggestions for whatever questions you have.

Have you read the book yet? It's a great place to start and really helps you understand the thinking behind this plan.
  • Thank you for the warm welcome,Cottagebythesea I checked the Book out at Library,but haven't had time to really get absorbed in the Book.Finalizing last minute details for School.What I have read thus far doesn't mention Diabetics skip Phase I.
  • Femmecreole,
    I have eaten Sugar since Diabetes (Chocaholic),but do try my best to steer clear.I read SB is good Carbs,I guess from Vegetables and good Fats.Thank you for the links.I'm reading the Book,and hopefully as soon as I can get everything settled for School,I can Read in entirety.I want to buy it.I've heard a few things about Chia Seeds and want to buy,yet Money is limited,so haven't bought (yet).

CyndiM,
    I really need control!If Phase II is recommended,then why didn't Dr. Agatston not mention/suggest?I started considering SB after happening upon a wonderful website designed by an ND.He said,"If you need more dietary support than this webpage provides,the popular diet that is closest to this IR diet is The South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston, M.D.".I spoke with this ND on Telephone,and he told me his Therapeutic Diet for IR is based closely to SB.
  • Welcome!
  • Quote: CyndiM,
    I really need control!If Phase II is recommended,then why didn't Dr. Agatston not mention/suggest?
    He does in the last two books of his I have read.
  • Thank you Lexxiss!

Murphmitch,
    I must be reading his first Book.How many SB Books has Dr. Agatston written???
  • The most current is SBD Supercharged. There are minor food changes between the two books which is why alot of us refer to the updated food list in the stickys above.
  • Lexxiss,
    The Public Library in Town doesn't have SBD Supercharged.I'll have to check with another PL nearby.

NB: Why are a couple of my replies in 1 post?