Help!! On a plateau and can't get off

• Help! I need some advice from those of you who have experienced this and triumphed over it. I have reached a plateau and can not get my weight loss moving again.

I started in Jan 2002 and have been losing steadily since then. I have lost 76.5 lbs and have about 50 - 55 lbs left until I reach my goal. I have been doing cardio (walking outside, treadmill, stationary bike) 5 - 6 times per week for 45 - 60 minutes each day. I also just bought a mountain bike and will begin riding several time each week. I do weight training 2 - 3 times per week for 30 - 45 minutes each session. I'm eating a low-fat diet...balanced meals and very healthy. I am also watching my sugar intake as there are diabetics in my family.

I need some advice on what to do about this plateau. I can't seem to get any more weight to come off. I know that the scales are not the most important aspect of measuring success, but they should be moving at least a little with as much effort as I'm putting into it.

I am desperate for advice. I will accept any and all suggestions. Thanks, you guys.

----------
    Start 1/2002
    270/193.5/140
  • Sounds to me like you are doing everything right.I wish you the best of luck and you can do it.You have accomplished so much already.I'm sorry i don't have any advice to give you other than to keep your chin up and you will make it. If you need someone to talk to feel free to email me.
  • Try very hard to remember that all that exercise is adding lean muscle mass, and muscle weighs more than fat. I know it's difficult to see the scale stay the same, but you are making progress. Notice how clothes fit you differently than they did before. Keep your head up, your back straight, and your eyes on your goals! You're doing a great job!
  • Gee... it sounds like you are doing SUPER !!!!!

Just remember one thing.... There is more than one way to get off of a plateau. You DON'T want to fall off of it.

By that I mean don't get frustrated and fall off into the food again. When you look at a stall with new eyes sometimes it is not all that bad.
    Be extra grateful for how far you have come. Many of us hit plateaus and say... "to heck with this... if I am not going to lose more weight then I am not depriving myself anymore." Don't fall into that trap.

Losing weight s l o w l y is better than gaining at any speed.

You may want to watch your carb count too. White flour and pasta turn into sugar in your body. Many fruits are high carbs also. Stick to berries (strawberries,blueberries, blackberries, etc)and stay away from bananas and watermelons and apples... all the sweet fruits. If you eat bread drop the white bread and only eat 100% whole wheat or rye.

Otherwise just hang in there. You are doing SUPER !!!