Carb confusion

• I am not on a low carb plan or anything of the sort but I am wondering what is a decent of amount of carbs I should be taking in each day to lose weight? When I Google, I see like 40 and 50 grams but on my daily thing on sparkpeople, it shows my target range as 217-314 and I normally take in less than 180 and most of that seems to be from fruits and veggies. Am I really taking in almost 4 times the amount I should be or what?
  • Is what you're doing working? If so, I really wouldn't worry about it.

To lose weight on a reduced-carb plan, if you were on one, you would likely have to take your carbs lower, but that's not your plan. The amount you "should" be taking in is the one that feels best for your body and gives you the results you are looking for. I wouldn't worry much about what any calculator or Google search tells you that you "should" be eating.
  • Okay, I always seem to let those pesky calculators get to me every time hehe. I think what I have been doing has been working for me and now, with your wonderful help, I should do even better since I can correctly measure and calculate my foods
  • I say that I try to stick to a 40% carb/ 30% prot/ 30% fat plan, but my reality is much closer to 50% of my calories from carbs, somewhere around 255-300 per day I think? I tend to count the total cals and don't worry so much about the carbs.
  • My tracker, DietPower, suggests 200g for my height and current weight. I'm currently on about 90g, as I re-carb up from low-carb. From oats/veggies/fruit. I'll probably aim for about 120g-150g.
  • Quote: I say that I try to stick to a 40% carb/ 30% prot/ 30% fat plan, but my reality is much closer to 50% of my calories from carbs, somewhere around 255-300 per day I think? I tend to count the total cals and don't worry so much about the carbs.
    When I check out my sparkpeople data chart thing, it shows for today that 52% of my calories are from carbs so does that seem about right or should I try to lower it?
  • This calculator gives you macronutrient percentages for different diets, and the amount that would be in grams based on your caloric intake.
  • Thanks
  • If carbs made you gain fat by just eating them, then counting carbs would make sense. People lose weight on high carb diets and they lose weight on low carb diets but the one thing that is similar is they are all eating reduced calories.
  • Quote: When I check out my sparkpeople data chart thing, it shows for today that 52% of my calories are from carbs so does that seem about right or should I try to lower it?
    Is that how you've lost your 155 + pounds, if so - than it seems about right!

I always say that for me, it matters where my calories come from - well it also matters where the tons of CARBS that I consume are coming from - and since they're coming from fruits and veggies - that's fine. Just fine. And I believe this is the case with you as well.

Not all carbs are alike - there's the refined ones (phooey) and the un-refined ones (yay!). Makes all the difference in the world.

Forget those calculators. Please. Pretty please.
  • Robin, thank you for being you. Yes, I lost what I have by not stressing over carbs so I will forget the dang calculators and try to stop stressing
  • I take in under 200 grams of carbs per day but it's ALL from fruits/veggies and the odd whole grain. I figure if I've lost weight thus far with all these carbs I am probably good to go
  • I agree with some of the other posters about going with what works for you. I try to keep my carbs around 50-55% and mostly complex carbs, but I have PCOS and suffer from insulin resistance, so it's important that I do this.

I've heard people say for me to go even lower, but I've had good energy (after the initial sugar withdrawal slump) & have lost weight at this level, so I will stick with it until it no longer works for me. If my energy dips again or I stop losing weight and there are no other factors, then I might consider tweaking it.

It's also not really how many carbs you eat, but what kind they are. If they are "complex" carbs, like wheat instead of white, or items like whole fruit instead of juice, then it's probably OK to have a decent amount of carbs (as long as your body cooperates).

I think one of the most important things is to try to group meals & snacks. Try to have a carb, a protein, & a fat. The carbs will give you a quick boost of energy, while the protein helps build muscle & keep your energy going, and the fat will help you feel full.
  • What Robin said.
  • Thanks everyone!