Hi! New and ... nervous

• Hi all!

So. I'm 40 years old with two energetic kids (6 and 4), a full-time management job (read: STRESS) and the world's best husband. Oh, and about 45 extra pounds, too.

Medically, there are a lot of issues. Right now I take medication for high blood pressure, depression, asthma. Due to side effects, I had to go off my cholesterol medication. I'm a banana peel away from diabetes too.

Here's the thing. According to my doctor, losing weight (diet/exercise) will likely correct my blood pressure, cholesterol and pre-diabetes. Probably do wonders for my mental health, too.

I just feel so overwhelmed with my life already that I'm nervous about trying to start exercising (I have ZERO energy and have never been an athlete) and changing my eating habits. But I know I need to do it. My brother passed away earlier this year rather suddenly and we don't know what happened. I need to get it in gear so I can be healthy and strong for my kids and husband.

Really looking forward to making the first steps (starting on South Beach tomorrow morning and taping shows from FitTV to try out early morning each day?), but nervous as all get out about my ability to actually do it.

I've read around the forums and think this is a great community to guide me. Hope I eventually have something helpful to add for others, too!!!

Julie
  • Hi Julie and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
    Michelle
  • Welcome!
  • Welcome! Those sounds like great first steps. If they end up being overwhelming as you seem to be worried they will, don't give up! Think about even smaller steps -- we can help you with ideas!
  • Hi Julie,

First of all welcome! I'm new too. I can understand you being nervous because anytime we start a challenge in life we tend to fear the unknown, but you've already made the first step towards taking control of your life!
    As for a lack of engergy and changing your eating habits start with small steps. for excercise maybe start with a short walk around the block every morning. Walking is low impact and it's enjoyable and free! Your eating habits can start small too. For example: Drink diet soda instead of regular (you'll get used to the taste), or better yet drink tea with Speanda and a hint of lemon (sooo good!), and boost your fruit intake by making smoothies!. I keep tons of fresh fruit in the fridge so I'll reach for that instead of chips.
    Good luck and keep us all posted. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say you can do it!!

Hugs,
    Teri
  • Welcome!

Dhani
  • Hi and welcome! Im a nervous newbie too! I read your post and I have to say you sound like an incredibly strong lady so don't doubt your ability to see your plans through! Good luck! x
  • Hello and welcome, Julie! I am glad you are joining us.

I am not an athlete either, but I exercise six days a week. I started out by walking and then have moved on to other things, including running. I can't say that I love to exercise, but I love what it has done for me (including giving me more energy) and it is part of my routine now. Sometimes, my body actually craves it.

I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
  • Thanks for the warm welcome! I knew I was in the right place.

The doctor recommends South Beach for me, and I've done it before with success. I lost ~20 pounds, then hit a major life crisis and went back to my old habits. Time to get back on track.

Looking forward to learning from and sharing with all of you!!

Julie
  • JULIE ~ sounds like you have a great plan already; walking is the best exercise and it's free; the shows will help too. Just take one step and one day at a time ...
  • Welcome to the Forum!

I think you already took the first step, you realized how important it is to work on a life style change!

You mention you feel like you don't have any energy... Try starting to exercise a little bit (like adding 20 min walks to your daily routine). Also, I noticed that laying off the junk food (chips, fries, processed sugary stuff) really helped me feel more energetic...

Good luck!
  • Welcome
    Welcome Julie and we are really glad you are here. I am a newbie also and I set myself smalls goals for July and I would recommend that for you also, set small goals.. Good luck and keep us filled in on your progress

Quote: Hi all!

So. I'm 40 years old with two energetic kids (6 and 4), a full-time management job (read: STRESS) and the world's best husband. Oh, and about 45 extra pounds, too.

Medically, there are a lot of issues. Right now I take medication for high blood pressure, depression, asthma. Due to side effects, I had to go off my cholesterol medication. I'm a banana peel away from diabetes too.

Here's the thing. According to my doctor, losing weight (diet/exercise) will likely correct my blood pressure, cholesterol and pre-diabetes. Probably do wonders for my mental health, too.

I just feel so overwhelmed with my life already that I'm nervous about trying to start exercising (I have ZERO energy and have never been an athlete) and changing my eating habits. But I know I need to do it. My brother passed away earlier this year rather suddenly and we don't know what happened. I need to get it in gear so I can be healthy and strong for my kids and husband.

Really looking forward to making the first steps (starting on South Beach tomorrow morning and taping shows from FitTV to try out early morning each day?), but nervous as all get out about my ability to actually do it.

I've read around the forums and think this is a great community to guide me. Hope I eventually have something helpful to add for others, too!!!

Julie