Maintainers weekly chat - July 5 - July 11

You're on Page 3 of 7
Go to
  • Shannon and Susan you both look terrific! And did you know that burn patients are (or at were least when my DH was one) given beer to both rehydrate and as a mild painkiller?

The weather deteriorated over the last hour and all the nasty rain clouds and the wind are back. Sigh. We lost a small tree in yesterday's wind, though it's still being held up by its neighbors, just at a weird angle.
  • What lovely maintainers we have!
  • Shannon and Susan you both look great!You are an inspiration for me to do more running. Thanks for posting the pictures, it is nice to have a mental image of you.

to all
    Rabbit
  • Yay for Shannon and Susan for their races.

It hit 100 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. I was one wet guy when I returned from my walk.
  • personal energy audit
    Just did an interesting quiz online from the Oprah newsletter. Link here

http://http://www.oprah.com/health/T...s-Energy-Audit

I scored 11 out of 20 which indicates that I have a fairly large energy deficit happening.

I eat when I'm . Can't change my job but I can change how I spend my spare time.

I'm not totally back to TV in the evening but DH turns it on every night and I have succumbed several times since I've been back from the dog sit.

Reading perks me up and TV makes me even more tired! I didn't realize how much this is true until I had a long break (13 days) from TV.

I'm going to have to detach from DH in the evenings. We have dinner together almost every night and do spend some time together on the weekends so that will have to be enough for him. Once the weather cools a bit (with all factors it'll be mosty over 42C all week here) we can resume biking too.

I'm hoping he'll start turning the TV off. It's an addiction his whole family shares and they are all obese. I'll have to lead the way .

Dagmar
  • Dagmar, the link as you originally posted has an extra "http://" in it.

I took the "quiz" and got 6 out of 20. Didn't care much for the quiz, though.

Hey, beer as a recovery drink! What a great idea! Wish I'd known that before I gave up drinking... Do you think that if I took up running it would be OK for me to drink beer?

Jay
  • Good morning everyone.

I so jealous about you to race ... I want to do a race too , maybe next summer .

Well today is a going to be long day for my a have to take my little baby to the sikckids hospital to have some ultrasounds. Praying to God everything to be OK.

This week have been so far so good ....
  • Good morning... I am home sick today. Haven't been able to keep anything down since yesterday afternoon. Most unpleasant - don't think food poisoning, DSS had similar symptoms on Sunday so likely some kind of stomach bug. I've been pretty settled for a couple of hours and am hungry, but afraid... Ick.

wfonseca - I hope things go well with your testing today.
  • Morning all, it is sad but true. My 5 day weekend is over. Of course, if I hadn’t had holiday/vacation time scheduled I’d have been able to use sick time. But alas, I had a good weekend regardless of my throat so I’m ok wasting my vacation time. I am getting better. I did a moderate 30 minute elliptical workout this morning. I thought 72 hours on antibiotics was enough to make it safe. DD and DGS have left and my house is quiet again.

Allison, I bet you’re excited about the new kitty. It is so neat that you will have had this kitty from day 1. I’d love to have had pics of my dogs from day 1. Bring a camera next time. We need pics. And I think it’s better to shorten hair a little at a time (sorry Becky – no chop off). When I’ve cut too much, then I feel ugly, then I eat because if I feel ugly I might as well go the whole way. Yes, I do snowball.

Shannon, sounds like you had a busy weekend. Good job on your food choices (heck, including the brandy) since Ben and Jerry didn’t darken your doorway.

Michele, maybe someday your DD’s jealousy will turn into working into what you’ve accomplished. Eventually they wise up that moms aren’t so bad. I don’t envy your trip from Houston to the fireworks. I’d have been asleep as the fireworks burst in the sky.

Dagmar, ok, I don’t get the emergency diet for the hernia. You and I will be OP for our trips to the Midwest. I’m going to Minnesota in 3 weeks and I want the bad choices I made for the last week to be eradicated from my mind. I will join you on the 10 week quest as then I’d have made good choices with my bad influencing inlaws and parents.

Jessica, I’m thinking trying to find a perfect exercise bra is exercise in itself. No heat wave here. Today is our first attempt at hitting 90 degrees. Go thermometer go!

Ward, I loved dude ranches. The horses are tame and Jackson Hole is truly amazing. Take the gondola trip to the top and the view is beautiful. I’m a skier and when I went there a few summers ago and took that gondola, I looked back down the run and just shuddered. It looked scarier than any black diamond I’d skied.

Wfonseca, welcome to the thread. I’m very visual as well. I have to log my calories and see my progress. I’m thinking lack of weight loss progress is why I’m struggling in making the transition to maintenance. I’m staying steady but my old choices rear their ugly head occasionally.

Shannon, I’d have loved to see a pic of a 70 minute micro’ed corndog. Great job on your race. You look so fresh in your post race pic.

Becky, I’m thinking of my marshmallows left from the 4th and now I need to go buy toothpicks. Dingy humor always makes me smile. So are you training for any new swim races?

Pat, I hope your DH feels better. I’m jealous of your strawberries. Ours are struggling again this year. DH put in a drip system last year and I don’t like it. I don’t think ours get enough water. Yesterday he was thinking so too. So he plans to modify. YEAH! Then maybe I can have lots of berries like you. I love(d) freezing mine and making protein smoothies with them in past years…

Sznn and Shannon, wow on the number of people in your races. I’m a bit claustrophobic and that would have freaked me out.

I’m with Dagmar – why do people not neuter or spay their pets??? I’m frustrated by Dagmar’s client as well.

Sznn, you look great with your beer. I think doing the race proved you’re a true athlete – not the beer.

Gary, it’s good you were willing to be the guinea pig for science on beer vs. 5K vs. weight loss.

Bill, see your walk was multi-purpose in the heat. You got your shower while walking. Since you were one wet guy…

No Jay. The beer answer is no. Just do the running. (Of course that is if I’m reading into why you gave up drinking right).

Wfonseca, I hope your baby is fine and do you have an easier name for me to refer to you with? Pretty please????

Shannon, I hope you feel better.

Yeah, I’m caught up. Busy, busy thread these days!!!!
    Marie
  • Quote: No Jay. The beer answer is no. Just do the running. (Of course that is if I’m reading into why you gave up drinking right).
    Rats!

Jay
  • Shannon - try to stay hydrated. That's how I ended up in the hospital.
  • What a morning...I took DS to the DMV for his second attempt at the written test. They open an hour later on Wednesdays. DH said to get there at least a half hour before they open, so we were there at 8:30. Already there were over 30 people in line! By the time they opened at 9 AM, there were at least 40 people behind us! But we got to the counter within 15 minutes of them opening, waited 5 minutes to be cleared for the test. DS took the test and they graded it (he passed!) and we were out of there before 10:15. Not too shabby. But as soon as we sat down, I opened my Kindle and it said it needed to be charged. Thankfully it allowed me to read a chapter so I wasn't totally bored.

wfonseca~I hope everything goes well with your baby. What seems to be the trouble? And welcome to the tread!
  • Thankfully DH is feeling much better today. He slept all of yesterday morning. Had milkshake (or what we used to call a frappe in MA. Frappe=milk, syrup, ice cream; milkshake = milk, syrup) to which I added a scoop of protein powder (he never noticed ). He ate no dinner, and then we drove into Anchorage for a memorial service for his friend's stepmom. At the receptioin after, DH ate a plate(!) of watermelon, which in retrospect was better than my 2 brownies. Then he had a bowl of cereal when we got home about 10. Cereal again this morning and he's now packing for a road trip....

I went and had my blood drawn this morning for an appt next week. Only took her 3 tries - the record is 9! I have somehow injured my left knee on the outside, kind of messed up a tendon I think. Not always painful, but certain activties, like stairs, cause it to sort of pop and hurt. Plus I slept wrong I think, anyway I have a knot under my left shoulder blade. I'm sitting periodically with a tennis ball behind it trying to get it to release. It does for a bit, then knots up again. I'll keep working at it. Anyway both those things are keeping me out of the gym today. Hopefully I can get in a bike ride so at least I have some activity.

Another sunny day - that's 3 in a row! - but with a breeze. The clouds come and go, and there have been showers predicted all week, but none have shown up yet. I have my laundry hung out on the clothesline.
  • Oh Pat -you poor thing, your blood drawing story gave me the heeby jeebies...i do not have prominent veins in my arms and they frequently take a few stabs at it (pun intended).

Summer finally arrived it is 88F in the shade right now. I went for a 'run' last night - did more of a walk/run - too hot for me.
    Marie - summer show up at your house too??

Shannon - hope you feel better soon, i am trying to fight off a summer cold that is going around at work - no thanks, too nice out to be sick.

Best go water my planters - they look thirsty.
  • wfonseca Sick Kids' is a great hospital! Hope your baby's tests all come out ok.

Jay I would say yes to the beer if you take up running.

Allison Good job on the written driving test for your son!

As for blood draws I have to go first thing in the morning. If I go after work they can stick me and stick me and not get a thing. One of the techs got quite scared after sticking me at least 7 times in one arm and 12 (!!!) times in the other.

And I bruise quite spectacularly so when I came back the next morning she was horrified!

I am now going to go and huddle with my A/C again. Even my eyeballs felt hot by the end of today.

Have a great evening all!

Dagmar