Alright...I'm getting tired of buying new clothes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Never thought I'd say it, since I love shopping, but I'm getting pretty tired of buying brand new clothes and having them be tents on me a month later. I swear, once you're smaller, a 5lb difference will put you in a whole different size. I practically got a new wardrobe when I hit 140lbs. Size mediums and a few smalls, mostly 4's and 6's in jeans and dresses. I have ONE pair of jeans from that shopping trip that don't look ridiculously big now.

I'm definitely maintaining, I'm not trying to lose anymore, and I'll be upping my calories more, so I'm not going anywhere size wise. But I'm a poor college kid, I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe all over again

Anyways, this is a legitimate complaint. I'm annoyed, lol. For those of you who are close-ish to goal and can't wait to go shopping, take my advice...WAIT! Those last 5, 10, 15lbs are going to make a huge difference and then you'll be left with brand new clothes that are too big and no wardrobe money left, lol.
  • Quote:
    For those of you who are close-ish to goal and can't wait to go shopping, take my advice...WAIT! Those last 5, 10, 15lbs are going to make a huge difference and then you'll be left with brand new clothes that are too big and no wardrobe money left, lol.
    Haha. I understand your dilemma and I'm happy that you've got it.

This is good advice. It IS amazing what a difference 5 lbs makes when you're small. Yup, I bought things close to goal that now swim on me. Oh well. A few good pieces I did have tailored though.

About those last 5 lbs - that's why when we see posts here about people who have lost some weight speaking about how they still have large tummies or large whatevers and I say, "wait till you get to goal. the last 10 lbs of, 5 lbs off makes a HUGE difference". Because is does. It DOES.

Also, when I used to hear of others, slim others that is, complaining about gaining 5 lbs and didn't have a clue as to how they could possibly do so - this is why. When I go up 5 lbs, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY feel it. My clothes don't fit me the same way and I AM uncomfortable.

I love reading your posts mkendrick of your hard work paying off.
  • I am sorry about your wardrobe dilemma. I look forward to having that problem.
  • I'm at the opposite end of my journey, and I'm going to take your advice. As I lose, I'm not going on a shopping spree every time I can squeeze into a lower size. I'm going to use belts and wear my shirts loose. I need to cut back on the amount of clothes I accumulate anyway. I bet that I could get by with one pair of well fitting jeans and one pair that are a little big. Along with a couple pair of dress pants, etc.

It's not an issue yet, I have a closet full of clothes that are just a little bit too small.
  • I'm nowhere near goal but I'm already tired of clothes shopping. I don't buy myself a whole new wardrobe at each size, but as I get smaller I do need a couple pairs of pants, a few shirts that fit, etc. Oh, and recently I had to get all new bras. I feel like I'm constantly looking for something that I feel I have to have. This weekend it was a pair of padded bike shorts (flattering...). It is nice to be getting smaller, but the shopping gets expensive!
  • I love going down a size!
  • I know exactly how you feel.

I resisted shopping for a long time. I wore baggy clothes during the late winter and belted my pants. It got to the point where I could take off my pants without undoing the belt, which was at the last hole. Then I went shopping.

Part of the frustration with shopping is I think that I am bigger than I am. It never occurred to me to try on smaller sizes b/c I never thought I could wear them. So I'd buy something that was already a little loose & then too weeks later, I'd be swimming in them.

Now, I try on a size I think I am and bring a smaller size in the dressing room. There is vanity sizing at the stores I shop (Old Navy, Express, Gap), so I am wearing numbers that are smaller than my real size. Also, these cheaper clothes have stretchy fabrics so they can go up a whole size simply by wearing them once. I now have the courage to buy something a little tight in the store.

I suggest that people do thrift shopping & hand me downs as a way of building their wardrobe. My favorite purchase is a $4 Express dress that looks fantastic and is good for work and for a dressy night out. What nice about thrift stores is they often raise money for good causes. So you are giving and getting at the same time.

A couple of weeks ago, I did something I've never done before. I donated my beautiful, but too big clothes to my thrift store. I remember having an internal debate about keeping the clothes. What if I gain the weight back and I'll have nothing to wear?

And then I decided that I am NOT gaining the weight back. That is not an option. So I donated the clothes.

• I figured some people have been there, haha.

It's not that I dislike the fact that I'm in smaller clothes or that I dislike shopping for new clothes. My entire life, since about 5th grade up I've been a size 10-14. One summer I got down to a 9 just because I was outside working, and I felt tiny. I'd been a 12 at American Eagle for as long as I can remember since their jeans fit best on me. Well when I had to buy 6's, I couldn't possibly imagine going lower than that. Well, at this point, I need 2's at American Eagle (yes, vanity sizing, but still...went from a 12 to a 2 in the same brand). I have a pair of 4's that have about 3 inches of gape around my waist right after they come out of the dryer.

So it's definitely a bittersweet situation. Heck yes I'm excited to be so small, I far exceeded my expectations. I jumped for joy when I fit in those old 9's that I had. But, it is frustrating because i have no clothes that fit my new body and no money left for clothes

I suppose it'll be a slow process, and fortunately, I have no problem with buying clothes from TJMaxx, trade in stores, etc.
  • I'm totally with you in the poor student boat. I would try to just think of it as having some extra time to really think about the kind of clothes you want to be wearing, and extra incentive to find the best deals.

Also, possibly looking for an inexpensive tailor to get things altered so that you can continue wearing all of your new clothes? I'm only just getting to the point where things are not fitting as well, but having a cheap tailor is a lifesaver and has allowed me to keep wearing most of my favorites. Probably not a good idea for jeans, but it's great for skirts, blouses, dresses, etc.

And seriously, annoying as the not fitting is, it's a way better feeling for things to not fit because they're too big than because they're too small...
  • Thrift stores thrift stores thrift stores. I haven't bought anything new in months. It's just not worth it.

The nice thing about thrift stores is that you can afford to experiment: all my "rules" about what sort of clothes work for my body are useless now, and I find that when a shirt is $1 I am a lot more willing to buy a style I usually avoid and then take it home and think about it. I'm learning new rules for whenever I can actually buy new clothes.
  • I have been through a zillion sizes ~seems like anyways from 20's to 3/4's.
    I always shop thrift stores~yard sales~ And even go to those places where they give clothing to those in need~usually churches do that.....And would just take my too big of clothes back to them & they didn't mind! As always I wash everything used I get before wearing but I have spent hardly anything~I also would buy drawstring skirts/Pants So they would fit for several sizes & Since leggings are back in style they work fabulous on a fitting for a few sizes! Also shirt to big ~get a stretch belt(there back in style too~wear it long with a pair of leggings & place the stretch belt around it for a cute look!)
    I aint buying much new Unless its on clearence(which I have done~have not bought anything over 4.99~And that was 2 dresses ~That has lasted me through several sizes and still fit) Until I am for sure I am not losing one more pound ~LOL ~I refuse to get a whole new wardrobe ~Actually the yard sales & thrift stores are best anyways if u can get to one that carries your sizes! Jeans for 50 cents to a dollar ~name brands Like new~Make u never wanna buy new ever again ~OR AT LEAST MAKE ME~LOL
    Lori259(THE PENNY PINCHER)
  • shmead~LOL I just read your post after I posted ~I TOTALLY AGREE!
  • I'm totally looking forward to having your problem lol I think I'm actually going to go out and but a full new wardrobe of size 8 uk to motivate me and when i get there just start to maintain... I'm the complete opposite though I WAS losing weight but then slacked and put it all back on plus more, so now my old size 16s don't fit but it's ok coz I'm back on track and lost 6lbs since friday (it's sunday night now) and I'm doing the couch to 5k challenge too starting tomorrow... this little comment turned out to be longer than it was intentionally supposed to be XD
  • I hear you, I'm not even at goal, but in the last month my body composition has changed so much that I really do need new clothes and definitely bras and underwear. I can't afford to go out every time I drop 10 lbs and buy new so I'm stuck wearing the big stuff for now and not looking my best, when I get to where my clothes fall off I'll just have to buy stuff. I could see how when you're smaller 5 lbs makes a huge difference.
  • I hear you on this one, except I am still pretty far from my goal. I have been above a size 18/20 all my adult/young adult life up until this year. I never understood how people complained about 5 pounds, but now I am starting to see that it is true that the smaller you become the quicker it is to loose a size or gain a size. I have been holding off on buying a lot of new clothes...just trying to buy a few things here and there to get buy for now....but I had to go shopping yesterday and when I did I realized I completely missed a whole size. I have been wearing pants that have been two sizes too big because I couldn't fathom that I would have lost that many clothing sizes in the course of loosing 15lbs. I remember when it took almost 30lbs to really loose a size when I was in the larger sizes. This is crazy!!! But in a good way if I can manage to find some good deals on clothing along the way....