Chili recipe

• Does anyone have a great low-carb chili recipe they would be willing to share?

Debbie
  • There's a good one in Protein Power that my DH loves...his exact words are "now this is chili!" Its at home - I'll post it when I'm there unless someone beats me to it. (Its called Ranch Chili)
  • Thanks Raychel, can't wait!

Debbie
  • I was checking recipes for some ideas and saw this request. I have my Protein Power book right here and will post the chili. I haven't tried it yet, but I sure plan to. It looks great.

RANCH CHILI WITH CHEESE (serves 2)

3 T. peanut oil
    1 lb. beef chuck, minced or ground once
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 T. chili powder
    1/2 tsp. crushed dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp. cayene pepper
    1/2 cup Contadina tomato puree
    1/2 cup strong leftover black coffee or canned beef broth
    1 t. masa harina or cornmeal, optional
    3 T. grated cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the beef and brown it, then add the onion, garlic and all the seasonings. Stir and cook until well mixed and the onions are limp. Transfer to a covered saucepan and add the tomato puree and coffee. Cover and simmer the chili for an hour, adding a little water if it becomes dry. The chili should be thick and soupy. Add the masa and simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve in bowls sprinkled with cheese.

Per serving: 10 grams carbohydrate, 56 grams protein

*You can add chopped green bell peppers to this chili - 1 medium pepper, added along with the onions; will contribute a little less than 2 additional grams of carbs. You may want to delete the cornmeal in that case to keep the dish under 10 grams.
  • Thanks blizlady - I use London Broil in this recipe and canola oil. Its yummy!