It's All In My Head - Quantity of Food and Eating Habits

• I have recently noticed an interesting trend in my behavior and am just curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar in their own tendencies.

When the house is packed to the brim with a wide variety of foods -- junk food, healthy food, snack foods, meal foods, etc. -- I eat much healthier than when it starts to get "low", which is relative in and of itself as we rarely run actually low on food around here. And the kicker is I also eat less without even thinking about it.

It seems while, for a lot of people, the key is to keep contraband out of the house entirely the key for me is having lots of options and whether that includes contraband or not, it really doesn't matter. I actually find having the "junk" in the house makes me want it less as long as I have lots of other options.
  • I'm similar, we were always low income growing up, so having a lot of food in the house was a real emotional sign of luxury. When food's low, I find I'll engage in hoarding mentality, eating off the kids plates, eating more....it's like it's the last food I'll see. Whereas when there's a lot of food, I pick what sounds good (the healthy option) and don't think about it as much. I think it's a safety issue for me.