True Inspirations

• I walk at a local golf course often. It is a two mile walk among trees, flowers, squirrels and other walker/joggers. The path is a bark dust like trail all around the course.

After the first month of MRC, I added exercise. I would walk the High school track, or the course. Well I started out very small. 1 mile took me 45 minutes to do in the beginning. Since April (when I started) I have cut my time down to a 16 or 14 minute mile. I have started to jog the straight aways and walk the curves.

In the beginning when I did the golf course it was nice because there was a beginning and an ending. Not multiple times around. So that was a nice deviation.

So one time I was coming to the last quarter mile and this old women with grey white hair was shuffling in front of me. She was ahead of me and I couldn't get around her for nothing! I was annoyed with my body! I was also annoyed by her and her shuffling! I was hot and ready for the walk to end. Finally she sat on a bench and I passed her! I was feeling so much better. She must have gotten up from her short rest because she passed me going UP hill towards my finish!
    I was so impressed with her I couldn't get over it.
    The worst part was that when I was finished I thought she was too! But she turned around and went back the other way!! I have told this story many times thinking how impressive she was!

Well, today I was finishing my walk and there she was!! GRANNY! But this time she was going the opposite way. I stopped my ipod and went after her and yelled miss miss!! She turned around looking on the ground as if I had stopped her to tell her she dropped something. I told her the story of how I had so desperately wanted to pass her that day, and that I couldn't! I told her I had lost 42 lbs now and that she is on my mind telling myself that if she could do it so could I. She was so cute! She talked about how she trys to get everyone out to walk with her because she says its hard to be active at her age! She says she walks 6 miles a day! ( I was thinking shoot I only do 1 or 2 miles...... I need to get with it) She also said ya know if I want to see any weight loss I have to do 8 miles a day!! WOW! She is AWESOME!

So she is my inspiration! She makes me want this more than ever! I want to be like her when I am her age!
  • What an inspiration!! I have been in an exercise RUT (meaning I haven't been doing much at all...I'll walk my dog for a mile 2-3 days a week), and this is the story I needed to get me motivated again! If Granny can do it, we all can!! Thanks for sharing
  • That's awesome!
  • That'a amazing... My 97 year old Great Aunt is my inspriation. She walks 5 miles a day. She recently had hip replacement surgery and in 3 weeks she had done rehab and was back to walking every morning.. She's out there with her 4 wheel walker walking around her complex.

I hope 1 day I can get to 5 miles.. I am not an exerciser, so it's always work to me. I need to make it a part of my life... Cheers to Granny!!