June Chat

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • its high time
    I am going to have to get back on track. I have been having the occasional low carb beer. Ok, apparently not so occasional, have gone thru 12 in a week, although my husband had a few of them. Wasn't keeping close track, never have more than 2 in night. But I am sure I am not exercising enough, or sticking to my eating plan either, so I have gained some weight. My sugars have been fine, probably thanks to the metformin.

Back on track, starting tonight.
    Thanks to all of you, you inspire me to keep on track. Don't know why I am having so much difficulty with it right now.
  • We got and more but then we need it too as our grass was starting to turn yellow (so we watered ours a couple of days ago). We picked up some great deals on perennial flowers and bushes and got them planted over the last two days (great exercise btw). Now this cool wet weather is perfect for them; it helps them to get a good start, they say.

Made some nice homemade veggie soup (using leftovers) for lunch and a nice chicken breast roasted dinner with lots of veggies -- yum! Am doing well and managed to keep to my NO JUNKIE JUNE CHALLENGE this time; I kept to my servings and only have one day left ... yeah!!!

MAD ~ you can get light beer so it won't be so bad on the calorie count ... of course, I have some on rare occasions for medicinal purposes only!

RUTH ~ ya that is early for here; I can eat my spinach, salad onions, and lettuce right now; the beans are now emerging. I wonder if I just pinch off some of the baby spinach if they will keep growing like lettuce does ... anybody know?

Hope you all are having a good week; take care ... Rosebud
  • Just pick the outside leaves, Rosebud, and the plants will keep on producing as long as the weather stays cool.

We've had so much rain, I'm growing moss between my toes! It does look like major improvement over the weekend though with 90ºF predicted for Sunday! Such crazy stuff. It's cool this morning - the furnace just turned on.

My green peas are done - I just made a batch of green pea soup which is yummy but probably pretty high carb. I may make some of that cucumber soup with mint and dill to have when the heat hits. Food over the next week will be a bit tricky because of the Canada Day/July 4 celebrations around here - think BBQ, BBQ, birthday party and an elegant houseboat party watching fireworks over the lake!

Happy weekend to us all - a bit early but we can start today.
  • DH and DD went blueberry picking yesterday, so I'm in blueberry heaven! Fortunately they are a low-sugar, low-GL fruit.. but even so they can be easy to overeat.

I was out in my front garden Saturday when a man in a pickup truck came by, and asked if I wanted to buy some produce. Come to find out, he has an arrangement with a local organic farmer and every Saturday he loads up the truck and drives to various neighborhoods to sell the produce. I stocked up on tomatoes and peaches and corn (a moderate-carb, high-fiber treat). I love summer! It's so easy to eat healthily.
  • I too have been able to eat pretty much only local and fresh produce. Its wonderful this time of year. Have been sticking to plan and not having beer. THe low carb beer is also a light beer, but definitely was affecting my weight loss, in fact I was gaining a bit, that has come off again now.
    My daughter is coming for a visit this weekend (the older one) and the younger one just had her prom. They youths were just lovely, of course mine was the prettiest off all!
    Glad school is done for the summer, like having her around!
  • THANKS RUTH ~ yes, with being in southern Ontario, you can put things in so much earlier than us; and a wider range of flowers too. Now they are predicting hotter temps for our weekend too; but the spinach is on the northwest side garden (beside my salad garden which is doing very well), so it may stick around for awhile yet.

I love blueberries too; for awhile there, blueberry pie was fast becoming my favorite pie. Good thing we don't eat pie too often though; only on special occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Our blueberries come later than yours; we don't get them until August but DH and I plan to go get some more this year. I have been eating them all winter in various baked dishes like blueberry fruit crumble; and I even made some on top of the stove (the filling without the crust).

At least at some BBQ's, you can have some meat. They are having some BBQ's by our lakes as well, but the lunch menu is hamburgers and macaroni salad, I think. Not sure what they are planning for the dinner BBQ; they didn't say -- would be nice to have ribs or something like that but it is expensive; and the dinner BBQ is free from what the paper says. The lunch BBQ is a fundraiser.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. Hope you all have a great CANADA DAY!