Why am I the black sheep??

• And not just in weight loss... in everything. I'm the "weirdo" in my family.

EVERYONE in my family except the teen boys involved in sports/the ones that got the "skinny" gene from my Grandpa is extremely overweight. It's hard... because I"m trying to eat healthy here... and then all we get put out for dinner is a small salad, and HUGE amounts of barbeque chicken w/noodles (special family recipe), Red Baron pizza, and of course... desert.

I ate one piece of pizza, like... half a spoonful of the noodles... and a big thing of salad. Everyone else had like... five pieces of pizza, HUGE spoonfuls of the noodles, and quite a bit of the dessert. And this is after lunch which was brisket, devilled eggs (anyone know the calorie count of these btw?), corn with LOTS of butter and spices, fruit salad (with 12 year old berries none-the-less... , and chocolate cake. I ate small portions of all of that.

And yet... despite my small portions... I'm still probably over my limit for today.

But... like I said... it's not just food. I want to be a Vet... and do rescue work. I'm a strong believer in alternative methods of finding a way to cure an animal. I think that... for one example... equine chiropractors do an AMAZING job with what they do. But... who cares what I think? They're nut jobs. And who cares if it really does calm down a horse if it has a friend like a goat in with it? People who go out and buy a goat for a horse is a nut job.

Me training my dog to "come" when I call her to... I'm a nut job as well.

Urgh... it just... it annoys me.

It's nothing that I'd say "you aren't allowed to be in my family anymore", but when I'm constantly having to correct them on things they really know nothing about, but I'm wrong because I'm only 17, that... I'm sorry... gets me kind of upset.

So... I usually just ignore them. And do my own thing. And... I always seem to prove them wrong with a lot of things... but... of course... just beginner's luck.

I dunno. I'm tired of eating hardly anything at any meal... and then being hungry... because everything made is extremely high in calories. I'm hungry... but "kitchen is closed"... so I can't even go in and have one apple or orange to fill me up. I guess maybe that's why I'm annoyed right now...
  • im in the same boat.. and what i've started to do is say "F you" and cook my own meal, i dont associate with my family anymore. Its easier for me to be Happy and healthy AWAY from them.
  • Yeah... except my Grandma doesn't let anyone use her kitchen except her. And I'm here tomorrow and Monday as well. *sigh*

I'm grabbing a lot of the veggies when we have them... except... corn and mashed (packaged) potatoes aren't much when it comes to veggies... and that's all we had at lunch. >.<

Just finished counting everything up: 1,950

URGH... It was the pizza that really got me over the edge. 400 calories a PIECE???? Good grief!!!
  • Hey,
    Funny, I feel the same way right now...
    My relatives are (for the most part) not overweight, it's just my immediate family.

My dad eats what he wants when he wants, large portions, lots of meat, he's so anti-vegetarian and whole foods, he refuses to try tofu, or comments when I have fake meat saying how it's tastless, etc. He doesn't care at all about the environment, always leaving the car idling and buying inorganic

My sister isn't too bad. But she has no self control when it comes to eating. We go out to eat, she get her own thing, and I get my own thing. She'll always pick off my plate, since I tend to stop eating when I'm full, leaving food on my plate that she eats. She also leaves her computer on all the time when she's not on it, and her fan too

My brother...ugh...he's disgusting...he sits in his room all day playing video games. Of course, he'll take the occasional TV break. All he eats is coco puffs, processed inorganic chicken nuggets, and pizza. He showers maybe once or twice every 2 weeks. He wears the same outfits everyday, and always makes jokes about vegetarianism too- and not even funny ones! (Like, my dad asks me "Where do you want to go for your bday dinner?" and he'll say; "She wants to go to steah heaven"). And he leaves his light, TV, and X box on all the time!

My mom isn't that bad, she'll eat healthy, tries to buy organic, but she just eats a lot. And a lot of sweets too, then will deny it and ownder why she isn't thin.

Then there's me, the eco-geek vegetarian hippie who's into being healthy and fit. I'm very far left, and very anal about recycling and reducing waste.
    How the heck do I fit in to this family???

My mom also always comments about "how little I eat"- I eat normal. Everyone else in my family just eats too much. Especially her, and it's gross.

Anyway, about the 'closed kitchen' thing, we don't do that, but to keep them from eating my health foods, I've become a hoarder...Im pretty sure it's mentally unhealth, but oh well.
    I have a bag where I keep a couple granola bars, and fruit (typically 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 pear, and/or 1 asian pear), then I have a mason jar filled with mixed nuts in my room, my own secret shelf on a cabinet where I keep my soups,, beans, and brown rice, and a refridgerator shelf for my soy cheese, tofurkey, wheat germ, no corn syrup jelly, peanut butter, etc.

Just keep going with dieting, I know how hard it is too lose weight in an unhealthy family, they always comment on what you eat and how you're so 'thin' when you do and you're not (at least not yet)
    Just ignore them, that's what I did, and still do :P

Sorry about my rant XP
    We went to a hibachi grill today, and I was forced to watch them cook my veggies and noodles in butter and oil. And then eat it o.e
  • so what your saying is your grandma wont let you go in and make a sandwich? If you have spare money, go else where to get something to eat, one thing we do is buy non perishable things and hide them in our room.(we live with my parents, Jared is finishing school, too hard to pay rent..etc)
  • ahha sounds like the 3 of us are in the same boat...

my mom eats like that too and deny's it.. my dad just doesnt eat.. its all messed up..

BUT just gotta keep going.. The way i think of it is..(what really got me wanting to lose weight) i dont want to be like them.. ever. So im making it so im not.

*HUG Keep on truckin!
  • I can feel you there. My family likes to have family parties for birthdays and things like that and everyone, bar like two people, fill up their plate with food. One night they got all fried food; fried chicken, fried clams, fried scallops, french fries, everything of that sort. I ordered something else separately from them, so I was pretty okay that night. It's okay to indulge every once in a while, it really is, just as long as it's not a habit!
    You've said that your count this week has been low so I think that the past couple of days aren't that bad right now, actually.
    You're most definitely not a nut job, Serbrider, that all actually sounds pretty cool, this kid at my school who's ambition was to become a drug dealer in New Jersey was a nut job.
  • bunny- lol, how can you aspire ot be a drug dealer??

lucid- yeah, it's kinda sad when you think about it, it's almost slightly dysfunctional...and they just make me want to get out of the house and go off to college so much sometimes, and I've still got 2 years left of high school!

Also, being a vet is cool! I wanted to be one for a while, but now I'm not so sure what i want to be...maybe own my own healthy, organic cafe :3
    But not get overweight from it! ;D
  • Quote: but when I'm constantly having to correct them on things they really know nothing about, but I'm wrong because I'm only 17, that... I'm sorry... gets me kind of upset.
    I thought this when I was 17 too - and when I was 22 and maybe even when I was 32.

I don't remember when I learned that "correcting people on things they really know nothing about," rarely works out well. When I did it when I was 17, my family reacted as if I didn't know anything because I was only 17. When I did it at 22, it was because "look at miss fancy pants, thinks she knows everything 'cause she graduated from college." And the graduate degree didn't help any more either. And because the degrees were in psychology, I was often accused of telling them they were crazy (well if the crazy shoe fits....).

I don't like being corrected either, and most of the time "knowledge" is in the eye of the beholder. Most of what we think of as knowledge is really theory or opinion, though almost everyone with an opinion, thinks of it as knowledge, not opinion. It can be really hard to look at what you think you "know" and acknowledge that most of it's really only a guess (maybe an educated guess, but still a guess).

At 17, it's pretty normal to feel odd, and also normal to think you've got most of the answers. You think you see clearly, and everyone else is deluded (friends, family, "experts and authorities...").

Your experience is normal and it's very real to you, but your family's experience is very real to them too (this sort of reminds me of the post you had about your friend, where I had a pretty similar response. You're not very good at getting in other people's shoes yet - and that's pretty normal too), and you're feeling that no one understand you (and that's true. Very few people will ever understand you - and you will also never understand most people).

To some degree everyone is a black sheep, and no one "fits in." You'd probably be surprised at how many people in your family and in your life feel like the odd duck too. To a large degree, everyone is on their own. You can look at "how easy" some folks have it (and you can also look at how much worse some other people have it - the fact is you're probably in the middle with almost everyone else).

I'm not trying to criticise or be condescending. Your post is SO normal, it makes me feel 17 again just to read it.
  • I'm the food police at my house which makes things awkward because everyone thinks I'm going to berate them endlessly about the food choices they make. Most of the time I just tell them to have some fruit or veggies instead of anything fried!

Dhani
  • Quote: bunny- lol, how can you aspire ot be a drug dealer??
    Haha, I'm not sure. I think he's gotten into some more productive stuff now, I hope.
  • My grandma won't let me go in and make my own meals. At least not now with all the other cousins around. Hopefully I'll be able to when I live here next year. (that's another sad twist in the tale)

Kaplods... sorry... that didn't quite come out how I meant it to. I rarely correct them. Only when what they're saying is so off-track it's ridiculous. I'm not going to argue about them with things that they know. And they do know a lot. I'm not all that smart about the things they know about. But when they're telling me that cheap dog food (Purina Dog Chow or Ol' Roy) is better than the expensive kind... they are sadly VERY mistaken. My dog lost a TON of weight on that stuff... and lost her beautiful black coat. She was later switched over to a higher quality food. Still cheaply PRICED... but far better made.

Or when they're telling me that sweet feed is good for horses and donkeys... umm... no. That was something proved incorrect like... 20 years ago. It can actually cause major issues in their digestive systems, hooves, etc.

Or when they act like dogs just come out of the womb knowing 50 different commands... and that if you teach them a new one... you're crazy... um... yeah. No. That's not how it happens.

Now... as for oil spills, business, current events... don't ask me. I don't have a clue. But when they look at me like an idiot, when I have 50 DIFFERENT sources (scientific primarily) to back up my claim... and they have their "theory"... yet I'm the one who's incorrect... umm... huh?

It's that kind of thing I get annoyed at. Not just an "I'm smarter than you..." kind of thing.

And part of it is that I was raised that... if you don't eat the food prepared for you... it's being rude and disrespectful. And that's hard... because I don't want to be rude and disrespectful. I would just go into town and get my own food... but... like I said... I don't want to be rude and disrespectful.

Oh well... I weigh tomorrow morning. I'll see then how much this weekend has so far set me back by.