If you were going to help your children cook something...

• What would it be? Do your kids (any age) like to help out in the kitchen? Do you find that getting them involved in cooking healthy foods helps them to be more interested in eating them? Do your kids like to make fun things with vegetables?
  • I don't have kids, but often babysit my little brothers. They normally eat nothing but cereal, french fries, ramen noodles, and chicken nuggets. When I come over, they want to cook something. I let them pick what they want and take them to the store to get the ingredients. The youngest is 11, his current favorite is pad thai with tofu. They both like tofu scramble, and love to cook anything in the wok. The oldest likes sweets, so we've been experimenting with lower calorie/fat baking.

They do tend to enjoy dinner more if they get to put their hands in it. By far, their favorite thing that we've ever done is make pizza, they really enjoyed making the dough.

Cleaning up, on the other hand, is left to me.
  • My youngest absolutely loves to cook. He's 6 and helps me more often in the kitchen then my husband . We make all kinds of goodies like stir fry, tacos and chili (both with turkey meat) and spaghetti with a chopped salad, which he gets to make because he loves using the peeler for the cucumber plus he sneaks a few pieces for himself. My oldest (8) only wants to be involved occasionally.

I do find that my 6 year old likes a wider variety of food thought. There are very few things he doesn't like and I'm proud to say he would much rather have a piece of fruit than a junk food treat. My oldest unfortunately would rather live off the white food group....pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. He eats veggies daily but not by his choice .
  • What would it be?

I just have her help with something that is going on for dinner. At the very least, wash the produce.

Do your kids (any age) like to help out in the kitchen?

Yes, most of the time. She's 6, and likes to wash, mix, stir, push the button on appliances like the blender, tear apart (like bread or lettuce), spread with a knife, measure stuff out, put veggies or fruit on wooden skewers.

She's just learning to use a sharp knife with supervision. A little paring knife.

Do you find that getting them involved in cooking healthy foods helps them to be more interested in eating them?

We grow produce in the garden and eat it. She also helps with shopping. She likes it best when I allow her to pick a "special ingredient" and she makes up what she's going to do with it.

Do your kids like to make fun things with vegetables?

I would not call grapes with mayo "fun" to me, but she enjoys the experiments and so long as she eats what she's making I don't mind.

A.