amusement park rides revisited: Cedar Point

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm 5'6 and 265 lbs for starters.

I'm going on a mini vaca to cedar point in august. at the VERY END of august (leaving in the wee horus of the morning on the 27th, staying for 3 days. )

So I'm pushing it to the very end so I can lose as much weight as I possibly can by then.

I've busted out some google fu and some people had trouble riding rides there, some rides, not all, of course.

some you can't have a waist bigger than 38 inches! HOLY COW! Maybe next summer.

ANyhow, anyone here go to cedar point specifically, what is your height/weight and what kind of problem/which rides were problem, if any?

Need to know just how low I need to go, and if I can't get there, we may change our vaca plans, which i REALLY don't want to do.

Here's to serious motivation!
  • I go to Cedar Point basically every summer. I'm going on the 17th and 18th actually of this month! When I use to with my mom when she was a little heavier, she was between 240-230 at 5'2, she was able to ride some of the smaller coasters but she said it was a tight fit. She doesn't like coasters much anyways. But I've seen some pretty big people get on them. They have "test" seats before you even get in line to see if you'll fit the seats and belts. I've never had a problem though, we're the same height.
  • I went last summer. At the time I was about 225 and 5'6". I was able to ride every coaster, but there were a couple ( I cannot remember the names anymore) that if my waist was one inch bigger I would not have been able to ride. My waist was definitely larger than 38 inches, it was about 45. I talked about it last summer, Here is the link
  • Update: Went to Cedar Point this weekend, had no trouble on most of the rides. On Millenium Force I ALMOST couldn't get my belt buckled. The girl working just came over and man handled it into locking, but I couldn't get it myself. On the Top Thrill Dragster, I had to get off cause I couldn't buckle my belt. Was a little embarrasing but whatever. It just sucked because I saw women much heavier than me get on the ride, but because I have large thighs, where as they carried their weight in their stomach, my lap belt wouldn't buckle. Oh well.
  • thanks!
  • please tell me they don't measure your waist?
  • I don't know about Cedar Point but at my near highest weight I got turned away from a ride at Great America in Gurnee.... god, seriously one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.
  • no theyd ont' measure your waist but there are test seats
  • Sorry this is totally off topic Lottie, but Starfish, I was almost turned away at Great America in Gurnee as well. I couldn't get the Batman to buckle. It had nothing to do with my giant waist though, it was my boobs. Ugh. Horrid things. That and the Raging Bull. RB was due to my waist size though. How embarrassing to almost not fit with your friends and your boyfriend sitting next to you. I can't imagine getting turned away . I love coasters.
  • Wow. That's all I can say. My fear is to have that happen at an airline, I wouldn't even think about trying to squeeze onto a ride. I'm assuming that's cause I'm old and you all are young though LOL.
  • Paula I'm equally worried I would have to ask for a seatbelt extender. Ughhh. I haven't flown in years. I'm still heavier now than I was the last time I flew.
  • I've had to fly a few times, the belt fits me fine, but my hips definitely fluff a bit over the armrests, so humiliating, I'm all hips. I'm taking the train cross country next month to avoid it. You can spread your big fat butt all over in a train
  • I checked out cedar points ride weight/height guidelines. Looks like I won't be going until next year. No way I can lose 65 lbs in 3.5 months.

kennywood I can do though.
  • We just got back from Cedar Point and I was able to fit on every ride! I am so proud of myself. Going to Cedar Point was my motivation to loose about 25 pounds so that I could ride.
    I"m including my measurements to help others who may be going in the future. I am 5' 2" and weigh 199...although probably more after eating yummy food for a week. My chest measures 47 inches and my waist is 50.
    I will say that if I was much larger it would have been hard to get into the seats. The seatbelts were fully exteneded to get them on me.

My sister who is a little larger needed to be manhandled a little bit to get the seatbelt on. The tightest one for us was wicked Twister. In fact one guy from our group who isn't too big but has a big gut wasn't able to fit on that ride.
  • This is one of the reasons I decided to finally lose weight too. I wanted to be able to go on the rides with my DS when he was old enough, and also to not feel like a behemoth on the kiddie rides with him. Once I got on a kiddie roller coaster with him and while I fit I felt physically ill because the bar was right against my stomach and it was like being punched in the gut the entire ride. I'm happy to report that this summer all is well...we have a Cedar Fair owned park here in Toronto and I've had no problem fitting on any rides at 5'6" and about 210lbs.