Lime Thai Peanut Noodles

• I am using this board as a blog of sorts just to keep track of recipes I liked and didn't. Hope no one minds!

We had this last night. This was a featured recipe on the shrinking on a budget (dot com) website. It was delish! I followed the instructions for picky eaters and my kids really liked it. Now they plan to tell everyone at school that they ate thai food!.. LOL... BTW the picture she has on the site doesn't do it justice. Her pic is sort of well... bland and it was quite pretty.

Citrus-Thai Peanut Noodles

Point Value: 6

Serves 6

Ingredients
    3/4 pound Barilla Plus spaghetti or linguine
    2 cups (about 9 ounces) broccoli florets
    2 cups (about 6 ounces) red bell pepper, sliced
    2 cups (about 6 ounces) fresh or frozen sugar snap peas, trimmed
    1/2 cup reduced fat creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup water + 1 Tablespoon
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon lime zest
    1 scallion (green onion), cut into pieces
    3/4 inch fresh ginger, finely grated
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup shelled unsalted dry roasted peanuts

Directions
    Cook pasta in salted water until barely al dente. Drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, steam broccoli for 3 minutes in a medium saucepan fitted with
    a steamer basket (see below for option). Add snow peas and sugar snap peas and
    steam for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat when finished.

Toast peanuts until fragrant, around 3 minutes. Set aside. Chop when cooled.

Combine peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, lime juice, scallion, ginger, sugar,
    and red pepper flakes in a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Taste for
    seasoning. Adjust accordingly.

In a large serving bowl (or you can just use the pasta or steamer pan), mix pasta with
    3/4 cup peanut sauce, stirring thoroughly to combine. Top with veggies and pour
    remaining sauce over everything. Serve with roasted peanuts on top.

Cooking Tips:

If you don't have a steamer or a pot with a steamer basket, just get can get creative. Use a colander whose bottom will fit in a pot. The colander should not touch the bottom of the pot.. Fill the pot with enough water so that is just barely reaches the bottom of the colander. Once the water comes to a boil, add vegetables and place a loose fitting lid on top of the colander to
    cover. If your lid is more fitted over the colander, position it so that one side hangs over the colander just enough to let the steam escape.

Start with 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes and the recommended amount of water and lime juice. Blend and taste test the sauce before adding more red pepper flakes (see tip below for picky eater). If sauce is too thick, add more water. If flat tasting, add more lime juice and ginger.

Picky Eater Tips:

Be sure and follow above tip for judiciously adding red pepper flakes and taste testing before adding more. I will take out some sauce for my 9 year old, then add more red pepper flakes, ginger and lime to suit the tastes of the rest of the family and blend again. You might also want
    to serve the peanut noodles plain with the vegetables on the side for the uber picky eater. Call them peanut butter noodles and they'll be a hit

Shrinkingonabudget.com
  • Okay I am so trying this...it sounds great
  • So I made this last night...I also ran the numbers and I used low fat peanut butter, super high fiber pasta and the rest...it was really good but the points for Momentum is 9 per serving and for points plus it's higher so be careful

But it was really good!!!
  • My mouth is drooling.