How do you eat your fiber?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I see a lot of recommendations for 20-3o grams of fiber every day. I am wondering what sources everyone gets their fiber from? I usually eat shredded wheat or whole grain toast for breakfast. I only eat bread once per day but I have two Ryvita flat bread wafers with tuna for lunch and/or a big bowl of veggies. Dinner sometimes includes brown rice or sweet potato among other things. With all this food, I almost always fall short of my fiber intake on a 1400 calorie diet. Aside from bread, what fiber sources do you eat regularly to achieve a high fiber diet?

Thanks as always for the suggestions

Amanda
  • I have at least 2-3 servings of beans every day - refried beans, chick pea crunchies, black beans in my salads, etc. I also really like dense veggies like cabbage, broccoli, etc. The other bonus is those foods really keep me full.
  • I like to put All Bran Buds into my yogurt Gives it a nice crunch. When fresh berries are available I use vanilla yogurt, berries and all bran.
  • Veggies have lots of fiber in them also- cauliflower is something I eat all the time and is full of fiber! Peas and apples (with peel) have a good amount of fiber... Definitely there are tons of foods out there with fiber- it doesn't just come from breads and grains

Here are some good links:

http://www.mamashealth.com/nutrition/fibersource.asp

Here's a cute picture that I used when I started trying to eat more fiber:

http://healthydiet123.webs.com/fiber-facts-1.jpg

I generally get at least 20 grams a day.
  • Beans are a great source of fiber too.
    I eat well, lots of veggies, beans and my steel cut oats every day but I still need to supplement. Fiber Choice (sugar free chewables) are what I use.
  • When I know I will fall short on a certain day, I have a Xtreme Wellness tortilla as part of one of my meals. It has 12 grams of fiber, 0 grams of sugar, 0 fat, and 71 calories. I prefer to get my fiber from fruits and veggies and whole grains, but this is a good alternative when I know I won't reach at least 25 grams.
  • I've been known to hit 90 grams of fiber in a day and I don't eat much bread

Lots and lots of veggies, fruit and beans mostly.
  • 1 cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber and is only 60-65 calories.
  • Vegetables, fruits, and cocoa comprise the majority of the fiber I get. The cocoa goes in my post-workout chocolate milk (made with cocoa, nonfat milk, and Splenda), or my post-dinner hot chocolate (same recipe heated up, with the addition of some cinnamon or vanilla). I don't eat a lot of bread or beans--once or twice a week, but they do add fiber when I eat them.

Typically I get 35 to 50 grams of fiber per day just from my veg / fruit / cocoa intake.
  • I have been focusing on eating more veggies.

I get a LOT of fiber from my breakfast. I do an egg and cheese wrap, and I use Mission Carb Balance wraps. There is 20 (or 21?) grams of fiber in one wrap.

I occassionally have a Fiber One bar (or half of one), but they aren't the best things in the world (carbs, calories, and Trans fat).

I sometimes eat refried beans.
  • Great ideas, thanks very much I think I need to start eating beans. Do you buy canned beans or cook them from their dried form? I like kidney beans in chili but that is the only time I eat them. Time to scout out some recipes.
  • putting a teaspoon of flaxseed in my shake
  • Quote: I've been known to hit 90 grams of fiber in a day and I don't eat much bread

Lots and lots of veggies, fruit and beans mostly.
    Same here!

Quote: putting a teaspoon of flaxseed in my shake
    Hey, I love flax, but really, a tablespoon of ground flax has less than 2 grams of fiber! http://www.fitbit.com/foods/Flax+Seed/20386
  • A few of my friends have been questioning my fiber intake since I've started eating primally (there's a link in my sig). I entered my food in fitday.com yesterday just to see how I was doing. 57 gms. (you can see what I ate through the link in my profile).
    I'm glad you asked. Now I can remember to tell my friends.
  • I eat beans every day. For instance, I ate 2 salads today (1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch). Breakfast salad had chickpeas in it and lunch salad had black beans. Both of those were canned but I do make fresh beans as well. Tonight I'm thinking I will make black eyed peas which I love and they are quick cooking so I can easily make them from dried beans.

Last week, I made ethiopian style lentils, recipe here:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...n-lentils.html
    Lentils are quick cooking so I made them from dried lentils.

I also made a chili type recipe with the following:
    1 can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 28 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
    1 bell pepper, diced
    chili seasoning

For both of those, I served over rice for my husband and served over green beans for myself.