W.O.W. Memorial Day Challenge 2010~Join us

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • This is Week 1 of our new challenge!!! Its time to get shaped up for Summer!!

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back!
  • I'm Jeni. I've been a WEEDer since the challenges began about 3 years ago (maybe longer) Ive had my good challenges and bad ones, but it always comes down to WEED. I don't lose weight very fast, but the scale is only one judge of how healthy I am.
    I usually post my official w/i's with the weeks new thread. Every monday We start a new thread.

Week 1: 142

I have 2 kids and a hubby who are great. I work a crazy schedule, 12 hour days 4am-4pm. But the way my schedule works I have a four day weekend every other weekend. (I also only have to work 15-16 days a month)

W~I usually drink 64-100 oz of water in a day. It depends on my workout and how much sodium I eat.

E~I am a runner. I run anywhere from 2-3.75 miles per workout day. I am pretty vigorous with my workouts. Right now I workout most days. After work I do 35 minutes of cardio. Days off I workout anywhere from 1-2.5 hours. For this challenge I am going to do interval traininig both running and on the elliptical. I did this from July through Dec. and I went from a 10/12 to a 6/8.

E~ I am a calorie counter. Depending on the day and the intensity of my workout I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 calories. I dont eat carbs or starches in the evening for dinner. I always make sure I get some carbs and protein in after my workouts.

D Usually surrounds housework or to keep motivated at work. I remind myself that the scale shouldn't determine How I feel about myself or what I eat for the day.

I am not happy with my scale movement. (Its up from my Feb low of 134.) I can whine pretty good about it, but I'm just going to keep on journaling this week and see what im eating that is making the scale go up. It could be the sodium from the ham I ate yesterday I don't know.

W 100 oz
    E 25 minutes interval run/60 minute class~35 minute interval on elliptical/10 row/15 weights
    E1400 cals
    D journal.
  • Good brisk morning coming from Michigan. It is supposed to be 70 here today, but we are off to a slow start. I am on spring break and trying to work outside. Hope it warms up soon.

I teach 4th grade, have 2 children, 21 and 23, and have lost 75 pounds over the last 2 years. I want to lose about 30 more and have really been struggling with that. I eat right and work out almost everyday. I have recently bought an activity monitor called a Gruve. It tracks calories burned and tells me how much I should eat. Hopefully it is going to help.

TOM started yesterday so my beginning weight is a bit inflated.
    Week 1 178.6

I would like to see the 160's by the end of this challenge, but that probably won't happen. I would take low 170's though for sure.
  • Is this possible? Only 8 weeks until Memorial Day? Unbelieveable. My goal for this challenge, 269 or less. Today's weight 278.

Week 1: 278
    W- at least 24 oz daily
    E- 33 points or less
    E- Exercise at least 20 minutes 5X week, currently doing WATP
    D-Today's There's no time like the present to get started.
  • Oh I would like to join you on this. I like the Acronym(sp)

W- Water, my best friend since I have started to stray away from diet soda and orange juice, I want to keep on with my 8-10 glasses a day and maybe work it up to 12-13 a day, I have an active job and stopping for the restroom is impossible, soooo its best not to overdo it on work days lol

E- I love to exercise! I am playing Tennis 2-3 times a week, jogging/running 2-3 time a week, hiking once a week and then the gym/volleyball/swim/dance on the extra day. I keep pretty active so this isn't too much of an issue.

E-Here is the fun part. NOT. I am doing the Atkins program right now and am quite happy with it. I am recovering from an ED of 8 years so I am trying to get used to healthy eating patterns. Everyday is a challenge but I am getting there.

D- I am going to use the "D" section to write my daily affirmation so todays : "It's time to start believing that everything I want from life is on its way... Life is my creation"

I am hoping to get down to 140 by the Memorial Day, or a few days sooner since I will be visiting the boyfriend. I have already lost 4 pounds this month, which is great. I am so happy. I am starting "BC" again in a few days and am really really hoping it does not mess up with my weight. I am sure it will but am hoping with my amount of exercise and diet it doesn't mess up too much.
  • I'm ON BOARD! Welcome LtsGrl and PinkPrincess! I'm been pretty much part of the challenge's that Jeni has been organizing since January 2. Since the first challenge, I've lost about 15 lbs. Last challenge I only lost 3 lbs., however, but I was not nearly as focused on my daily WEED as I should have been. I'm planning to change that with the Memorial Day Challenge. My biggest changes will be to incorporate more exercise and drink more water. I have a tendency to stress eat and exercise and journaling my food intake goes a long way to keep my off that path.

Mindy - I did not realize you were a teacher. I have the utmost respect for teachers.

A little about me - I work full time, have 6 kids (3 of my own and 3 step-kids), a wonderful husband and a fair amount of financial stress right now because we are trying to sell a now vacant house that I owned before my marriage. Have "extras" of some things is good - but having an "extra" house that is no longer rented - not good. I'm hoping that I can post on this board in the next few weeks that we are down to 1 house! For today:

W: 48 oz.
    E: 30 minutes walking or elliptical
    E: 1200 calories
    D: Focus on all the good in my life
  • pinkprincess! and LtsGirl

Janette~I'll keep my fingers crossed that you sell your house soon.

I got in the rest of my workout. 35 elliptical/10 row/ 15 weights. Here is my gripe about todays workout~2 of the machines I needed to use were being used as either a leaning post or a chair. (with no workout going on). I could've just asked if they were done, but I didn't. Its just a pet peeve of mine, either workout or move! After I was done with the row machine the man next to me asked how many cals I burned. (not a normal question that I get asked) I told him I just try to get in 10 min/2000 meters I don't use the calories burned tool. I very rarely get asked about my workouts. Usually its by women who want to know where to start.
  • I'm getting ready to take Mak to her first pre-swim team class!! She will learn drills and skills used in swim team. She is so excited!! I'm going to have to quit running and start swimming just to keep up with her

A part of me wants to work out when she is done, but her class is an hour long and I am afraid she wont have the stamina to play at busy town after she is done.
  • Good morning everyone.

Scale was down to 140 today. I'm still not happy, but its better than 142.

Workday today. I didn't sleep well last night and my tummy hurts today. I can make it through 12 hours though.

So I journaled all my food yesterday and I was suprised that I ended up with just about 1700 cals. I found a lot of extra cals. in my coffee creamer, and salad that I didn't expect. Since this is a typical off work day I'm really suprised. I'm going to work on cutting down those cals on Wed. and see how I do.

Today will be no problem keeping my cals in check since I work.

W 64 oz
    E probably nothing. Tues is a normal off day, but I may try to get in 30 minutes after Tommy's swim lesson
    E 1200 cals~This will be no problem since I eat only what I pack during the day then dinner.
    D decide where to cut back on my normal day of food.
  • Morning, I am Mavis, was doing great here last year, but have lost my way and am back up almost to my starting weight! I am 43, married to a wonderful man with 2 sons, both away at college. My plan this challenge is to get as close as I can to the 130's. The first 5-10 should come off relatively quickly, but then it slows down to a trickle.

W Try to get 100 oz a day, 3 of the humongous cup I keep at my desk plus an extra glass at home
    E Was doing great with this, but again have lost my way, getting back to crunches and 30 minutes minimum of cardio, want to get back to running, we'll see how the knees feel, may be a fair amount of walking too
    E Atkins worked best for me, guess I need to go back there
    D Depression. Working my way thru it, keep at it!!
  • jcatron243~ how was the swim class? Did you end up working out afterwards?

Yesterday went well for me, minus the water part, had a fair amount but not even the minimum 8 glasses. I did however manage to drink diet soda which is a big No-No! Need to cut that habit real quick before it gets worse.

One thing that I am proud of, I bought my niece a lot of chocolates for Easter (variety pack) and had to take out the ones with almonds in them (she's too young lol) and they have been sitting in a little box on my shelf and I still have not had one, thats huge for me.

Another would be that I am keeping up with my workouts, did 2 sessions of tennis yesterday and some ab work.

Today's WEED:

W- Drink 8 glasses and zero Diet Coke
    E- Walk, abs and arms
    E- Atkins
    D- I am in love with what we are not what we should be (my BF is in the Military, hence LTsGirl lol and he's leaving soon for Afghan so I'm really getting mushy gushy lol)
  • LtsGrl - Great job resisting those chocolates! That's a huge victory. It must be very difficult to have your bf leaving - but just think how great you'll look when he returns. Do you know when that will be yet?

Mothermavis - I see your determination - you go girl!

Jeni - are you feeling better?

I did pretty well with my eating yesterday - I think about 1300 calories. Am doing well today with eating and plan to go on a walk now. It's beautiful where I live today. Water was not close to enough yesterday but am trying to improve today.

W: 64 oz.
    E: 30 minutes walking
    E: 1200 calories
    D: Stay focused on my goals!
  • Mom~ Thats exactly what I am thinking! i am going to meet up with him on his midtour in Ireland or Italy, something like that sooooo I want him to be like Whoa! He leaves end of July so he is going to be back same time next year....oh gosh that is so far away. I think that working and going to school full time will keep me busy and time will fly!
  • Quote: Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking.
    Bummer.

8 weeks till Memorial Day? How is the time getting in?

My goal for Memorial Day is 8-10 lbs. down. Really, I want the 10. That's doable, right? Just a smidge over a lb. a week.

So far today all is well. It's 4pm and I've had 755 cals so far. Am getting hungry and am having a babybel cheese round at the moment so I guess that brings the cal count up to 825. Am perplexed as to what to have for dinner.

Took a mile and half dog walk, played 20 minutes of Wii bowling (lol) and have been washing windows all day. Does swatting wasps count as exercise?
  • count me in, first WEED challenge. This is a great goal date for me because it will be my 2 year wedding anniversary (also the time of my highest weight) and I will be getting together with the family for my brother's graduation.

Week 1
    Weight: 153, BF ~28.1 (scale)
    Goal for challenge: 147, BF ~25%

W - Water! I do an awful job keeping hydrated at work, especially running around the ER. No number goal for now, just make an effort to drink ANY amount of water as often as possible.

E - Triathlon training, goal of 4-6 workouts, minimum 1 swim, 1 bike, 1 run, and 1 weight training day (p90x right now). Brick workout every other week, including this week

E - keep logging the food diary. Trying to get within 20% of my calorie, carbs, fat, protein goals.

D - avoid the snack cabinet at work, no more cookies! Food is fuel, not comfort.