barley-asparagus "risotto" DELICIOUS

• I got this from a weight watchers book and it's SO GOOD. I was a little skeptical of it because of the barley, but holy heck it's delicious. And really filling!!

ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 cup uncooked barley (it calls for the quick-cook kind, I used regular and partly pre-cooked it)
    3 cups fat-free chicken or veggie brother
    1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces (I did 1 inch)
    1/4 cup sliced fresh chives
    1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    a little salt&pepper
    2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (USE FRESH!!!)

Warm oil, saute onions until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in barley and cook, stirring, about 1 more minute.

Add broth, cover and simmer over low heat for 8 minutes; stir in asparagus and simmer 2 minutes more (I simmered a LOT longer to get the asparagus cooked to how I want it, and to evaporate the liquid because I improvised with regular barley). Remove from heat, stir in chives and vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spring with cheese and serve.

1 cup per serving, 6 servings.

It is SO good. I thought it would need a ton of cheese but I only sprinkled a little in my bowl and mixed it in, and it got all creamy with the broth. Oh man. Try it, asparagus is in season!
  • Oooh gonna write this one down! Thanks!
  • We just bought some aspergrass this morning. It's on sale here right now for $1.50/lb. It usually goes lower, but I wanted to make sure I got some for Robert for Easter dinner. I'll have to show him this recipe and see if he'd like ne to make it. I don't like aspergrass, but maybe I would cooked this way. I keep trying new veg. Thanks so much!

Barb
  • We had this for dinner tonight. I actually ate the aspergrass. Still not at the top of my list for veggies, but it was definitely palatable. The recipe is AWESOME! I added 8 oz. of raw mushrooms and used the quick cooking barley. I will definitely make it again. Tomorrow night is turkey burgers and we'll have the barley risotto for a side dish.

thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Barb