Veggies!!

• Ok I'm really trying to do good with eating my veggies but Im so picky and am getting bored with the same old things. I tried an idea I saw in another thread with zucchini and ranch seasoning and it was totally awesome!! I'm open to try anything right now!! Suggestions???
  • My favourite at the moment is brussel sprouts. Cut them up into fine strips/pieces. I usually start at the round end and cut until I've reached the core. Steam the brussel sprouts for a few minutes till tender. While the brussel sprouts are steaming, saute some leaks (all of the white and a bit of the green) in a pan until tender. Add cooked sprouts and saute for another minute or two.

I some times add some prosciutto or bacon pieces to the leaks. Cook bacon/prosciutto till 2/3 done drain off a bit of the fat. Add leaks and saute, then and the sprouts and cook a minute or two more.

So yummy either way!
  • I've never tried either!! Probably because I wouldn't have known what to do with them if I had bought them! Lol I'll definately have to try it!!
  • One of my favs lately is to get the steamable package of fresh green beans. (Wal Mart carries them. I know they are expensive, but I am at the point in life where anything that helps me save time is a big plus for me!) I steam them according to the package and put them in a dish. I spray with generous amount of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray and then sprinkle with garlic powder (NOT garlic salt), then toss. Oh my gosh, they are delicious!! I could eat an entire serving if I allowed myself.

Another fav is blanched asparagus. I will eat it warm, but prefer it cold. Bring water to boiling. Add asparagus and let lightly boil for about 2 minutes. Immediately drain and soak in cold water (I usually empty the pan and run it under cold water to cool it down, then fill with cold water and put the asparagus back in) or ice water. Drain and eat or refrigerate. Don't boil it too long or it will get mushy and I think the mushiness is why some people don't like asparagus.

If anyone has a good technique for roasting asparagus, I would be interested in seeing it!
  • Roasting asparagus- for the lowest calories you can just use cooking spray and any spice blend (lemon pepper, garlic, etc). I use parchment paper because then it is a no clean up situation- just toss the paper. Since it is so low in calories I do like to put it in a big bag with a splash of soy, dash of garlic powder, maybe Splenda or even half teaspoon brown sugar, and a few drips of balsamic vinegar or orange juice. Add just a bit of olive oil to lubricate. When roasting keep the spear well separated so that they are in fact roasting and not steaming. My yellow lab and I fight over the spears.
  • Broccoli served with marinara sauce is INCREDIBLE!
    Also, I love greek seasonings over corn, chickpeas, and lima beans - YUMMY and FILLING!
  • I forgot, but Annie's mentioning of green beans reminded me of my favourite green bean recipe:

Ingredients

* 1 lb green beans
    * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    * 2 teaspoons sugar or Splenda sugar substitute
    * 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
    * 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    * 1 tablespoon canola oil
    * 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    * 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

Directions

1 .Rinse and drain green beans;trim off and discard stem ends.
    2. Cut green beans into 2- to 3-inch lengths.
    3. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, chili flakes, and white pepper.
    4. Set a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat.
    5.When pan is hot, add green beans and 1/4 cup water.
    6. Cover and cook, stirring once, until beans are bright green and slightly crunchy to bite, 3 to 4 minutes.
    7. Uncover and cook until any remaining water has evaporated.
    8. Add oil, garlic, and ginger to pan stir until green beans and garlic are slightly browned, 1to 2 minutes.
    9. Stir soy mixture and add to pan; bring to a boil and stir until most of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce thickens and coats the beans, 2 to 3 minutes.
    10. Pour into serving dish.
    11. Serve hot or cold.

ETA: A comment on my previous post. Brussel sprouts are also super yummy roasted. I just chop of the core then in half. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. In the oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes or until the start looking nice and crispy and enjoy.... If you are so motivated you can give them a stir half way through. I usually don't. I also roast broccoli and cauliflower in the same manner. Equally as yummy!
  • Roasting asparagus

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a shallow roasting pan toss the asparagus with a slight drizzle of olive (a little goes a long long way here) and salt/pepper. Spread out the asparagus in one single layer and roast for 10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Serve as is or with a light drizzle of sherry vinegar.
  • I love vegetables! These recipe ideas sound so great.

One thing that I like to do for a quick meal is use fresh spinach instead of pasta in a standard pasta and sauce. I just prepare what I would normally put on pasta and pour it hot over a plate of fresh spinach. The spinach begins to wilt with the heat. It is quick and good and I don't miss the pasta.