IP Chat - Week of March 15 - 21st

You're on Page 27 of 34
Go to

• I finally got my weight tracker ! So inspiring to me .
  • Quote: For those who are wondering how much protein you need in a day - here's How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Your Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Your Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day
    Thanks - that really helps. my perspective. I track all my nutrients on my "Lose It" app on my phone, rather than keep a written record. It is so much easier for me. My protein has averaged between 90 and 103 each week. So I'm right in the range.

Even though I don't cheat I've averaged between 39 and 48 with my carbs. How does anyone get into Ketosis if you follow the diet?
  • Has anyone tried using a waffle iron to make the orange pancakes/crepes?
  • Quote: I just asked my coach if I could strat doing some weights to help with all the weight I had already loss. She told me no .She siad just to keep doing my walking ( 3 to 4 miles ) a day until I reach my goal then start strength excercise to firm up . She said I wont loose as fast if I start now and that I would possibly gain . I really want to start toning up . I have lost over 50 lbs and Im nervous Im just going to end up being flabby . I have 30 more lbs to loose . Any thoughts?
    Welcome to the forum! I have been keeping up on the posts and I have wanted to tell you how wonderful you are doing. I bet your husband is going to be so surprised and excited when he sees you. Please let us know how that goes.

I would stay with the walking like your coach has recommended and if you want to add strength training try yoga or the resistance bands a few times a week. We are all different and the walking seems to be working well for you. It seems the people lifting weights are losing at a slower pace. I think your coaches fear is that if you start lifting weights you will build muscle since we are eating high quality protein and the scale will make it seem like you are gaining weight. I know we all take advice off this forum but only your coach gets to see you in person and really is the best person to advise you. In the end, you are the one to make the choice though.

Again, welcome aboard and 50 pounds lost is terrific!
  • Quote:

I finally got my weight tracker ! So inspiring to me .
    54 lbs! WOOHOO!!!

You should be inspired! You are an inspiration to others too. How tall are you? We are about the same weight right now.
  • Quote: Thanks - that really helps. my perspective. I track all my nutrients on my "Lose It" app on my phone, rather than keep a written record. It is so much easier for me. My protein has averaged between 90 and 103 each week. So I'm right in the range.

Even though I don't cheat I've averaged between 39 and 48 with my carbs. How does anyone get into Ketosis if you follow the diet?
    Chelle, Are you really hungry between meals? That could be a sign you are out of ketosis. Do you have dry mouth or icky breath? One way to check your breath is to lick your wrist and then smell it. That is a good judge of wether you are in ketosis or not? You can buy the ketostix if you want to be sure but they can become an obsession. I think the amount of water we drink dilutes our urine too so depending on when you do the ketostix might not show much color. Don't get too hung up on that.

I think we are all different and some of us can tolerate more carbs and still be in ketosis. If you don't feel like you are in ketosis, try eating the lower carb veggies.
  • Quote: Chelle, Are you really hungry between meals? That could be a sign you are out of ketosis. Do you have dry mouth or icky breath? One way to check your breath is to lick your wrist and then smell it. That is a good judge of wether you are in ketosis or not? You can buy the ketostix if you want to be sure but they can become an obsession. I think the amount of water we drink dilutes our urine too so depending on when you do the ketostix might not show much color. Don't get too hung up on that.

I think we are all different and some of us can tolerate more carbs and still be in ketosis. If you don't feel like you are in ketosis, try eating the lower carb veggies.

No, not hungry between meals; yes, dry mouth; I brush my teeth a lot so I don't know about the bad breath, but I'll try your test; I have Ketostix and I just started tested myself yesterday, 1st thing in the morning and before bed. I'm always between neutral and trace, but one of the posts said you have to be around 25 to 40 to be in Ketosis. I do eat lower carb veggies. I'm really careful. Even when I was on Adkins I never really got into ketosis.

I'm not too hung up on the ketosis thing, because I am steadly losing, slowly, but losing.
  • Quote: No, not hungry between meals; yes, dry mouth; I brush my teeth a lot so I don't know about the bad breath, but I'll try your test; I have Ketostix and I just started tested myself yesterday, 1st thing in the morning and before bed. I'm always between neutral and trace, but one of the posts said you have to be around 25 to 40 to be in Ketosis. I do eat lower carb veggies. I'm really careful. Even when I was on Adkins I never really got into ketosis.

I'm not too hung up on the ketosis thing, because I am steadly losing, slowly, but losing.
    I never see higher than trace or small on the ketostix. I think that is good enough because that means you are peeing out ketones. I too am losing slower than others, 1.5 - 2.5 pounds a week. I am happy with the scale going down. I usually have a restricted protein everyday too. I also drink coffee with splenda in the morning and may even have 2 more splenda packets during the day. I keep thinking I should drop the restricteds, caffeine and the splenda and I may have a quicker loss but have not forced myself to that point yet. I think 2 lbs a week is still alot if you look at 2 lbs of butter! I think my skin tightens up better with a slower loss too. I am going to talk to my coach about the caffeine, it doesn't mean I will stop though. If it takes me a little longer to reach my goal I am okay with that too.
  • I just tried the oatmeal this morning for the first time. It was okay. I have terrible heartburn now though. Has anyone else experienced this? I added cinnamon to the oatmeal but I add lots of cinnamon to the vanilla and butterscotch puddings too. This is the first time I have had heartburn after an IP packet though.
  • Quote: I never see higher than trace or small on the ketostix. I think that is good enough because that means you are peeing out ketones. I too am losing slower than others, 1.5 - 2.5 pounds a week. I am happy with the scale going down. I usually have a restricted protein everyday too. I also drink coffee with splenda in the morning and may even have 2 more splenda packets during the day. I keep thinking I should drop the restricteds, caffeine and the splenda and I may have a quicker loss but have not forced myself to that point yet. I think 2 lbs a week is still alot if you look at 2 lbs of butter! I think my skin tightens up better with a slower loss too. I am going to talk to my coach about the caffeine, it doesn't mean I will stop though. If it takes me a little longer to reach my goal I am okay with that too.

I also have coffee in the am with splenda. The only other thing I use splenda for is I put 1 packet in the chocolate pudding.

I don't think anyone ever closed the last thread (I don't know how) but I did respond to your last post to me. I started the potassium, but I'm still retaining. And even though I make sure I have 1 - 2 tsp. of olive oil a day, I'm constipated again. I took Cleansemore (natural laxative) last night and it hasn't helped.

I have a high school reunion the end of April and I was hoping to speed things up. I'm going to start walking tomorrow morning.
  • Quote: I just tried the oatmeal this morning for the first time. It was okay. I have terrible heartburn now though. Has anyone else experienced this? I added cinnamon to the oatmeal but I add lots of cinnamon to the vanilla and butterscotch puddings too. This is the first time I have had heartburn after an IP packet though.
    One time I made the oatmeal and it came out great. The other 2 times it came out like cement. I put cinnamon in it too. No, heartburn though, but I should have with the cement.
  • Coffee
    QUOTE=Chaplains wifey;3210526]Can I get the coffee / cappuchino receipe?[/QUOTE]

Mystical Mamma's:[

COFFEE AMAZING: 6 -7 oz cold water into shaker, packet of pudding mix, shake shake shake, pour into big mug heat in micro for 1 min, pour hot coffee over (I have a kuerig, so I make it right on top which makes it so frothy it's incredible) then I sprinkle a little cinnamon on top (that was my idea)! It is soooooooo yummy. Yesterday I did choc pudding with hazlenut k cup flavored coffee. Today I did the vanilla pudding and had butter toffee flavored k cup coffee. I've also used 1/2 pudding with each cup, so I could have 2 cups!

h t t p : //

meilssakay.smugmug.com/Other/IP-COFFEE-with-Pudding/DSC0019/815414044_dEwup-Ti.jpg
  • Quote: I also have coffee in the am with splenda. The only other thing I use splenda for is I put 1 packet in the chocolate pudding.

I don't think anyone ever closed the last thread (I don't know how) but I did respond to your last post to me. I started the potassium, but I'm still retaining. And even though I make sure I have 1 - 2 tsp. of olive oil a day, I'm constipated again. I took Cleansemore (natural laxative) last night and it hasn't helped.

I have a high school reunion the end of April and I was hoping to speed things up. I'm going to start walking tomorrow morning.
    Do you take the antioxidants sold by your coach? That is what my coach gave me for the water retention too. She also recommended drinking green tea, be careful of the caffeine. I can't drink the green tea without splenda so I stay away from it. I do take the 2 potassiums though and feel so much better. Weren't you going to have some tests run to make sure your kidneys were working okay? I also have tried to be really careful with the salt. I think I was eating salt for headaches and it was the low potassium giving me the headache. The salt and sodium play a big part in water retention. I sit at a desk all day and my ankles are still swollen at the end of the day. I think the walking will help with the water retention too because it improves your circulation. You may want to get a massage too.

She also told me to take all 4 of the calcium/mag supplements because I had backed off to 2 for the constipation. She also recommended I had a bar or the crisps each day to have something that is not liquid as my protein. She also said I should eat lettuce at dinner as well but I just am too full so I only eat lettuce at lunch. I still end up drinking from the calcium citrate bottle but not as often. The walking should help with this too.

Are you having any restricted items? You could try a week without them and see if you lose quicker. It seems to be working for some of the others. Or just have a restricted every other day.

Keep working at it and I am sure you will look great for your class reunion!
  • Quote: One time I made the oatmeal and it came out great. The other 2 times it came out like cement. I put cinnamon in it too. No, heartburn though, but I should have with the cement.
    I just took some maalox and it doesn't seem to be stopping the heartburn. I wonder if the oatmeal wasn't enough food for me to take my supplements? Have you tried the cold cereal? I had it yesterday and really enjoyed it.
  • I see lots of people chatting about counting carbs/protein. I really didn't want to COUNT things anymore... if I'm sticking to the plan, do I still need to count?