Squash Gratin (a version of butternut squash "mac" & cheese)

• I have had great success, I mean GREAT success, Beachifying a Martha Stewart recipe for butternut squash mac & cheese (I double the ricotta, use lowfat cheese, no breadcrumbs - or whole wheat - and high fiber, low GI elbows.) The other day I decided to tweak it and replace the macaroni with spaghetti squash. The result was amazing! It was so sweet, like a dessert almost... I added a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar to it on the plates, which melded perfectly with the sweetness...

Anyway, here's what I came up with:

Squash Gratin

• 1 ¾ c skim milk
    • 1 veggie bouillon cube (or use less milk and a broth)
    • 2 c lowfat cottage cheese, pureed (or ricotta, I just had cottage cheese)
    • 1 cup packed butternut squash
    • ~2 cups spaghetti squash (half of one), cooked
    • ½ c. lowfat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    • ~ ½ c. parmesan cheese, shredded, divided

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat the milk with the bouillon cube. Add the cooked butternut squash and mix thoroughly (alternatively, cook raw butternut squash cubes in the milk & bouillon/broth as Martha Stewart does - I just find it tedious to cut up a butternut squash). Add cheeses (half of the parmesan, save the rest for on top). Mix with the spaghetti squash, making sure all the strands are separated and coated. Spread in a baking dish, oiled. Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top. Bake ~1 ¼ hrs, until browning on top and bubbling merrily. If desired, zap under the broiler for carmelized gratin goodness.

Try serving with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar if desired.

The numbers, according to Sparkpeople:
    6 Servings
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 185.1
    Total Fat 4.9 g
    Saturated Fat 3.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.4 g
    Cholesterol 16.2 mg
    Sodium 572.7 mg
    Potassium 429.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
    Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
    Sugars 1.6 g
    Protein 19.7 g
    Vitamin A 79.0 %
    Vitamin B-12 16.8 %
    Vitamin B-6 10.9 %
    Vitamin C 17.3 %
    Vitamin D 8.3 %
    Vitamin E 1.1 %
    Calcium 33.8 %
    Copper 4.3 %
    Folate 7.4 %
    Iron 4.2 %
    Magnesium 9.9 %
    Manganese 7.5 %
    Niacin 5.6 %
    Pantothenic Acid 8.8 %
    Phosphorus 33.0 %
    Riboflavin 19.2 %
    Selenium 19.1 %
    Thiamin 7.3 %
    Zinc 8.3 %
  • This sounds like something I'll enjoy. Thanks for sharing it with us, Emma!
    I'm going to make it over the weekend.
  • Yum.......that sounds good!
  • I made this yesterday, and it is very good, although I wouldn't consider it a version of macaroni and cheese. It would make a lovely side dish for a holiday dinner.
  • I agree, not like a pasta dish any more! It was almost squash overload, very sweet. But good

For the traditional mac & cheese, I use suitable elbows (12-16 oz; I just add what seems right depending on how saucy I want the end result). The pasta absorbs a lot of liquid during the baking time, so start quite liquid-y.

This is great comfort food! I made it recently for an aunt recuperating from surgery and it was a big hit.