~The plank challenge~

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I've decided to do the plank 5 minutes a day. For my stomic. I'll take breaks when I can't take it. But does anyone want to do this with me? For our stomachs?

(I mean in 1 minute sets)

Please note what Lyria said:

Quote:
    ...don't forget that your stomach muscles are like any other muscle in your body - they need rest to heal and thus increase in strength. You dont need to work them every day, in fact its far better for them if you do it 3, maybe 4 times a week.
  • I didn't know what you were talking about at first... you mean your stomach? Planks are were you leave your forearm flat on the ground and hold up your body with your feet right? I think I described that correctly.
  • Kelli - yes, that's the plank. I can't do it for 5 min... I have sucky upper body strength, but I need to be doing this for my back anyway... so yeah, I'll join you. Work on it every day.... the best thing you can do is try to do it every day and work up to gradually adding on time. If you can do the plank for 5 min a day you're a rockstar in my book!
  • I effin' hate the plank! Props to you for doing it for 5 minutes. I'll have to work up to that eventually.

You can try planking on the side too, it's a bit weirder for core strength.
  • I will join. My trainer makes me hold them for a 1 min at a time. But I can try to do it longer.
  • I figured thats what it was and that is a toughie! I had to do it in an aerobics class in college. I will try to start doing it, but no way for 5 mintues right now!
  • I'm in! I'm going to start at 1 minute and work my way up. I'll do side planks too.
  • How do you do a side plank?
  • Planks and side planks are diff tough! I try to do them during commercial breaks on TV
  • Awesome guys!
    I know I can't do 5 minutes straight. What I mean is 5 sets of 1 minutes, one after the other. I have to work up to more then that. That's super strength if I could!

Thank you all: shortandfluffy, Feral, Jess7286, Kayhm0711, and tiffany0809 for undertaking this pain in the butt challenge, and anyone else who joins. Planks suck, but at least in an effective way.

freedomreins- I found video instructions for a sideplank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqzrb67Dwf8

and heres one for the plank:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xs5m...eature=related
  • Planks are difficult but not impossible. My trainer has me do 3 for about 30 seconds. I haven't done one in a while, but it feels great to complete them.
  • Ok, I'm in! I need to work on my abs so this would be perfect. I'm not sure if I can do 5 minutes a day, but I will do the best I can!! Great idea snow!
  • Whew! 5 min is a LONG plank! Good luck - I will work on getting my 30 seconds up to 3-4 min.
  • i'm in! its gonna take me forever but i will definitely try!
  • i'm definitely in!! i'm up for any challenge that will firm up my stomach!