munchies

• I've had the most horrible case of munchies/cravings the last week. I don't know if it's due to TOM coming soon or if this is normal at times. Everything I've given up is everything I want to eat now. I haven't had fast food in over a month now and really really want it. Chocolate, cookies, brownies, etc.

How do you get over your cravings? Do you just ignore them and they go away?
  • I allow myself a smal treat! maybe two cookies, then im satisfied! if you keep denying you will only want more, and stuff yourself with tons of junk!
  • Eat something to satisfy the craving. If you deprive yourself you'll end up eating more later. And this is a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. You can't totally cut anything out, you'll go crazy!! Enjoy!
  • ^^^ agree completely and what ever you allow yourself to eat. take slow bites to enjoy the food dont gorge it down...that always helps me if I want to cheat
  • So I had my hubby get McD's last night because I had really been craving fast food. I had two double cheese burgers..I probably should have only had one but this is a live and learn deal for me. I was really suprised when it wasn't as satisfiying as it used to be. It was good but I feel like now I could leave it or take it and not care either way.

I am glad that I "caved" because I feel like I can go stronge again and not have any set backs.
  • Haha, every girl gets those munchies!

So this is what I do! I make a healthy version of cookies/brownies/sweet snacks just before it's the TOM and even if I go crazy, I don't feel so bad!

I love love love this recipe: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipe...tecookies.html They're clean (I'm trying to eat as clean as possible, no processed, white foods or flour, no preservatives or additives).

I also love making a treat like Tofu Creme Brule (that recipe is from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook) with some homemade apple cider or oat tea (steamed oats w/ cinnamon makes a great tea--this recipe is from the same cookbook).

Just be prepared and you won't feel gross or bad about it afterwards!
  • I'm with mandy--I make yummy substitutes! Oven-baked fries made with fresh potatoes, lean burgers with all the fixin's, fruit and soy milk "shakes," white-chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies made with whole wheat...although, when I want chocolate, I eat chocolate. Good chocolate: the $3 per bar stuff. One square is enough to keep me happy.
  • When I'm craving chocolate, I'll have a cup of hot cocoa. It's got a rich flavor, is only 110 calories a cup, and the liquid fills me up so I'm not wanting more.
  • If theres something that I'm really craving I allow myself to have it. So long as its just an every once in a while thing than its ok. Depriving myself would make me totally break down and end up messing up my diet.
  • If im really craving something, I have it. Enough to satisfy the craving but not enough to sabotage my efforts.

Usually friday nights i treat myself to a dinner out and a beer/wine. Tonight was pad thai....last week was papaya salad (I dont know whats up with me and Thai food but its yummy).

A few treats here and there let me keep going on my journey, otherwise if I feel restricted or deprived I dont stick to it.