Just signed up for a 5K!!

• Well, I just signed up for my first 5K. I am a non-runner, but need to get my butt in gear. I figured that the best kind of motivation is to actually sign up for a race....eeeek! The race is in the middle of April. I think that 3 months should be enough time for me to train up for it. Any tips or ideas/plans for my training would be VERY welcome! wish me luck!!!
  • I recommend the Couch to 5k program. You can download free podcasts, by an ipod add or google it on Cool Running. It is what got me running so if I can do it, anyone can!
  • Yep Couch to 5k, if it increases too fast for you just do over a week... Good luck...

Join the Running through January thread for more motivation...
  • woooohooo!
  • Good for you! Another vote for C25k. I'm doing my first 5k in April!
  • Welcome to the C25K converts! I'm doing the conservative version because of my ancient knees (but I'm finding it too conservative). Also, I realize that running might never be possible for me because of my knees, but race walking is a definitely possibility!
  • I just finished my first 5k this morning. I didn't do any specific program, just tried to have a faster time everytime i went on the treadmill. I finished in 48:14. My next one is March 13th. I think I am going to try the couch to 5k program for it and see if I can improve my time to 40mins or below. So yeah, I would go with some kind of program if I were you. It was really hard, but once I saw the finish line and sprinted to it, I felt AMAZING and so accomplished. Good luck to you.
  • I just signed up for a 5K in mid-April as well! I'm hoping that having a specific goal in sight will keep my butt in gear. (I"m going to do a modified C25K.)