Ideal Protein Diet Chat - Week of January 22 to ??

You're on Page 6 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: I'm a bit confused.... regarding the amounts of meat and veggies. Is it pre-cooked weight or cooked weight that we are supposed to follow?

Pre-cooked weight always!
  • @ Simplymar! Hey there! So good to see you and your results! You are really having some great success!

@ wagnomore: I love the board too. I mostly love learning and sharing with others who are going through the same experiences as I am. It keeps me excited and focused! I was on a different board, different program, several years ago, the board and people were great, the diet wasn’t what I hoped for! LOL… we use to do little daily motivational things and challenges. Nothing too difficult but things to make each of us stay focused on a daily basis and to learn about the program more thoroughly. I LOVED that. We weighed/measured/ reported to each other, offered support and advice, shared recipes and encouragement. It was a great thing and I am so grateful to have found a great group of people here who are doing that already!

@ swilk: My supplements run the same as yours but my food is more. HMM? I am so glad things are working well for you and you BF! It is amazing to me how much men can lose! I keep trying to get my honey to do this with me but he says “oh NO” LOL.. maybe one day! Special education!! What a rewarding career. I imagine there are some days you get home and just collapse onto the couch. I bet you also have great stories of your kids. I am like you if I am busy I can forget to eat. Being in the heart of this program, with all its benefits, only increases that feeling. I just don’t get hungry the way I did sometimes. YOU are so RIGHT! I started this program and would have been thrilled to lose just 1 pound a week, every week! It was moving in the right direction and that is what I love about this program. Every week does move in the right direction whether you are very strict or just following the plan. I like that the coaches can create alternate plans and modifications to help anyone utilize this. Please keep up the informative and fun posts, no matter how long! It makes you more than a statistic of weights and measures! LOL

@ wagnomore: check with your coach about the jello. I texted my coach and he says no.
    @ Jtvan: I can certainly understand managing your cash and expenses in this economy! I think it is great you are doing what you are however you are able!! Some wouldn’t even be looking for solutions they would just accept defeat. I drink coffee every other day now. When I do it is a large mug with 1oz milk (measured in a shot glass lol) and stevia. I do use the vanilla premade drink and a sugarfree flavored syrup as sweetener too on occasion. I tried the stool softeners and the exlax at one point, they did nothing for me. I only got results when I increased my magnesium.
    I have my PM snack before I go to bed. Sometimes IMMEDIATELY before and that might occur between 11pm and 1am. I haven’t noticed an impact.
  • @ committed1: LOL.. yes that “sweet spot, the pocket” He gets so excited each week I weigh in and haven’t cheated. He also told me somewhere around week 14 the body makes another HUGE shift and you start “peeing calories”. LOL.. He says your body really kicks it up and starts eliminating fat calories. At one point in his progress he was losing almost a size a week because of the way the inches started dropping off! NO!!! DON”T DO THE ALTOIDS! The maltodextrin causes an insulin reaction in the body!! The corn starch is a HI glycemic index item again it uses insulin. Sorry but, I wouldn’t try it! Regarding the vegenaise, I LOVE THAT!! Did you see that it has BROWN RICE SYRUP? I know it is also in the bars and a few of the restricted foods so it doesn’t concern me or my coach very much. According to my coach oil is not a problem for the ketosis. It is a calorie concern and acidity concern if we take in more fat. Probably a little once in awhile would work. But, in his opinion it should be a 1 or 2x a week restricted Item. Think of it like milk and use very sparingly. (Milk has sugar but we can have a little. )
    I think, like you, that I am seeing savings in other areas of how I spent my food budget. I know it is a much greater concern when you have little ones and a family to factor into that budget. It is great how your kids are supporting your efforts! I am sure they are proud of you!

@ Jordanna: It is is nice that our birthdays are so close and that we are needing to lose approximately the same amounts in that time period. It will make it fun to see how we can keep each other going! My coach charges 50.00 for the 3 supplements at the same time! I guess you are getting a small break! LUCKY GIRL!
    @ Mystical Mamma: I have been told like Jordanna that the measurements are all precooked. You can confirm that at the website trantiendiet.com

@ supersweet: HEY!! I am so glad to see your post! WOW, I love the info you just shared. I knew we needed to be low carb but my coach never put it into numbers! I think it is nice of your coach to help people do what they can to stick with the program. That is so important. I agree with you about the cheats extending the time and not resting the pancreas. For me that is key to doing the plan as written so I can get the fullest benefit.
    HMM??? Superbowl ideas. Well, you can do the spicy chicken nuggets that were posted yesterday on here with a homemade wing sauce, cut up veggies, salads, stuffed mushroom caps, mushroom sliders (I make mini hamburgers, grill the small Portobello mushroom caps and use 2 small mushroom caps to make a bun for the meat), romaine rollups with sliced ham and assorted veggies, stuffed chicken breast slices. ( I pound out chicken breast, sauté mushroom, garlic, spinach and mix with 1 or 2 crumbled pieces of bacon, then stuff the mixture into the chicken breast, roll up and bake. then chill, slice, and serve. It looks pretty and is easy to eat on top of salads or wherever. ) BARBECUE meats and veggies. You can do a homemade plan ok marinade or rub and make up barbecue. Are you doing root veggies? Try the turnip fries if you are. Serve some dill pickles. Mayoless deviled eggs (mayo if your coach oks it). Texas style homemade chilli (no tomatoes, not cooked onion, no beans just a spicy seasoned carne). teriyaki turkey meatballs in a homemade on plan teriyaki sauce. Ok. that is it for my ideas tonight! LOL
  • Here is a mayoless deviled egg recipe I found online:

http://gluten-dairy-sugarfree.com/?p=1330

who needs mayo? The two main ingredients in mayo are egg yolks and oil, and you’ve already got egg yolks in a deviled egg, why not just whip them up with some good extra-virgin olive oil and a few spices?

This recipe is not exact, as I don’t really measure the amount of olive oil I use, I kind of just go by texture and drizzle a bit more until I get it right. But here is a pretty close blueprint to follow to make some pretty tasty deviled eggs that even your non-foodie relative will enjoy.

Mayo-less Deviled Eggs With Capers

6 hard-boiled eggs

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp sea salt

a few generous cranks fresh-cracked pepper

3-4 T extra virgin olive oil

dash paprika

capers for garnish

Peel the hard-boiled eggs and cut them in half length-wise. Remove the yolks and set aside. In a food processor, combine the egg yolks, mustard, salt, and pepper. Process until crumbly. Start by adding 2 T olive oil, process to mix well, and add more olive oil until you get a smooth, creamy texture. Arrange the egg white halves on a platter and spoon the yolk mixture into the center holes. Sprinkle with paprika and garnish with capers.
  • here is a link for some texas style chili. find one that works for you! remember you can leave the onions out, substitute leeks or garlic, then top with raw onions when serving.

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html
  • Veggie measurements
    OK everyone. Here is a question for you. How are you measuring your veggies ? Do you put them in a cup and measure, or on a weigh scale and measure 8 oz? There is quite a difference between these measures. How do you suppose Fit Day and the like do their measures (8 oz vs 1c show different values on fit day)?
    I just think it is hard to measure stuff like broccoli and cauliflower in a measuring cup (one florette could be one cup). What do your coaches recommend?
    I, personally haven't been too concerned about my veggies and I have been eyeballing most of the time, but I think I might not be getting enough (I'm not hungry, and my weight is dropping).
    Curious to see what you all are doing!
  • Quote: I pay 28.00 a box of 7 or 4.00 per pack. $30.00/case of 6 readymade drinks.
    We can exchange anything we don't like. The vitamins are about 22.00 -24.00 per bottle. The potassium is a 3 month supply and the multi and cal mag last 1 month.

I was told the sugar free jello is ok if you need it to stay on track. Nothing other than the phase 1 protocol is Ideal Protein approved but my coach believes staying on the diet is more important to our well being than dumping the diet due to it being to strict. We are not allowed more than 20 -25 carbs per day!!!!

I also checked the other websites Lindora and New lifestyle diet and other than the readymade shakes(exactly the same) at NLD the products are not the same. They have much more carbs and a ton more artifical fillers. I understand that in order to stay in the "fat burning zone" you cannot exceed the 25 carb max intake. On Bootcamp you have little room to add in anything extra. The 3 IP packs give us between 6 and 14 grams of carbs(depending on the choice of pack) alone, than add in our vegetables and meat choice carbs and there is no room for error. If you cheat you are only extending your time on the diet and basically following a low calorie diet and not resting your pancreas. So in my eyes, I feel saving money on the food with higher carbs only increases the length of time I am on the diet and than ultimatly costing me more in the long run.

I am working on ideas to survive Superbowl weekend. We always host the game and now I need a varity of nosh foods that won't blow the diet....Can you all help with any ideas?

Thanks.....

We were talking about superbowl yesterday too! For me it's not as huge a deal, but my boyfriend is really upset that he can't have his wings and pizza (though he is strong and committed enough to stick to his guns and know that he WON'T eat them). I think we're going to make the chicken tender recipe that was recently posted for "boneless wings", but, not surprisingly, we can't come up with anything that's equivalent to pizza. If anyone has suggestions for party-ish foods, we'd love to know also!
  • In regards to measuring meat and veggies....

I was told to measure the meat raw or cooked....the difference isn't that much. And plain meat isn't your source of carbs and sugars, so an extra ounce or two isn't going to throw the entire plan off....extra carbs and sugars will. It may give you a few extra calories, but we are focusing on carbs/sugars, not calories.
    As for veggies....I chop, then measure by the cup. I also eyeball, but this was after 2 weeks of measuring, so I believe I am getting rather good at it. I know veggies have carbs and we are in control of what we consume, they ARE veggies. I am willing to take the hit on the scale if eating VEGGIES does it for me. They aren't something I have ever eaten in this quantity before and I am enjoying it. I still stay on only approved Phase 1 veggies, no restricted.

However, I have noticed that 5oz of COOKED meat is ALOT of meat...some nights I really want the extra, many nights I don't. As the weeks go on, and more in the last few days, eating the 5 oz feels like a requirement, not because of my hunger level.

I personally have measured before AND after, just because I get a little OCD like that and wanted to see the difference.
  • Quote: OK everyone. Here is a question for you. How are you measuring your veggies ? Do you put them in a cup and measure, or on a weigh scale and measure 8 oz? There is quite a difference between these measures. How do you suppose Fit Day and the like do their measures (8 oz vs 1c show different values on fit day)?
    I just think it is hard to measure stuff like broccoli and cauliflower in a measuring cup (one florette could be one cup). What do your coaches recommend?
    I, personally haven't been too concerned about my veggies and I have been eyeballing most of the time, but I think I might not be getting enough (I'm not hungry, and my weight is dropping).
    Curious to see what you all are doing!
    I measure our veggies in a measuring cup. Some of the veggies fit awkwardly, but for the most part it has worked well. When I eat broccoli or cauliflower, I cut them up into smaller pieces (which is how I prefer to eat them), so they actually fit pretty well in the measuring cup. Our veggies of choice lately have mostly been field greens and turnips, both of which measure pretty well in the cups. Hope this helps!
  • Quote: here is a link for some texas style chili. find one that works for you! remember you can leave the onions out, substitute leeks or garlic, then top with raw onions when serving.

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html
    This is actually a GREAT idea for superbowl! Thank you for posting!
  • Totally FELL OFF the plan last night. The first time in 12 weeks, I even made it through the holidays on plan. But the good news is, I don't feel BAD mentally. I am not beating myself up this. I will be honest and admit that I am having some depression issues & I have had these issues in the past. I thought the diet was helping with my issues but I get ANGRY at the drop of a hat.

I was sitting with a group of friends playing game last night & I just wasn't in the mood. They all commented that I was pale & just not me. I had not planned to cheat but with my mood & lack of energy, I caved. It felt SOOOOO GOOOOOD! Within minutes, I was me again, well sorta. I over did it & my tummy was sore by the end of it, but with in 5 minutes, I felt like myself. So my new plan is to stay off IP products for 2 weeks, till after my 30th bday, but to follow Phase 4 & then to get right back on for the last 20lbs.

BY NO MEANS DO I ENCOURAGE THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. I need it at this point to stay SAIN & be my happy self. My poor little son wasn't doing anything wrong & all I did was yell at him, I need to reign myself back in. So I just wanted to tell you, hope I only gain 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks as a result of my indulgence before I get back on plan. Thanks for listening.
  • Well, this is day four for me and I finally feel ok. Man, those first three days were rough! Headache, upset stomach, just plain yucky! knowing that I would feel like that again if I had to restart is enough to keep me on the program - at least for awhile

Everyone is making so much progress it's encouraging to know the program works if you stick with it.

MeghanO - if I had lost 40 pounds but felt like crap I would have done the same thing. My thought is that we have to listen to our bodies. That's why I decided I had to take the weight off - it was really beginning to affect my life. I could handle three days of feeling bad but if it gets to the point where I feel like that all the time I would go off the plan too. Hope you keep the promise to yourself and get back on after your birthday though.
  • Quote: here is a link for some texas style chili. find one that works for you! remember you can leave the onions out, substitute leeks or garlic, then top with raw onions when serving.
    Ohhh thanks for the chili recipes I ♥ Chili!! It's always nice to have different meal options so we don't get tired of the same old thing
  • A recipe for Taco Seasoning - to make "Lettuce Taco Cups" for Superbowl...

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 1/2 tbsp cumin
    1 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (mild) or
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (hotter)

Combine all ingredients, blending well - store in an airtight container. Use 2 tbsp per pound of ground beef, turkey or chicken

Yield: approx 4 batches
  • Funny story. I tried Baseballmoms turkey pepperoni recipe and well it didn't work out to well. I burnt the crap outta them. Good thing I bought 2 packages!! I thought the recipe said to broil and I did for the 10 mins!!!

Today I will bake them. I'm such an idiot sometimes. But it gave me something to giggle bout!