Any guesses on what breed mix Boyd is?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I got a couple pics of Boyd, don't have much cuz he doesn't sit still for long!

And I'm adding a pic of Clarence, he is a rotty/german shepard mix.

• Does he have some pit?
  • I'm gonna go American Pit Bull and lab. Or a mix of cutie and super cutie, with a side of cutie brother to go with it.
  • I work for a vet, I would guess, lab/pit or rottie/pit.

The brindle color gives away the pit, although it could be boxer, but has a pit head, tail, coat, ears and body type.

Looks like a sweetie!
  • Ya can't help but love a couch tater dog! I have several.
  • My first guess would be pit and lab, but on the couch, I'd almost guess there was some doberman or another slim breed such as one of the sighthounds (maybe some greyhound?)

His face so closely resembles a friend's harlequin Great Dane, that I wouldn't be surprised if he has some Dane in him.

What has your vet guessed?
  • Is that a big shar pei muzzle? Their noses are normally not that long though. Definately see pit in there.

Cute boy though! I love brindles!
  • He looks almost identical to my sisters dog which is a pit/lab mix! =)
  • Definantly has Pit in him-- there are pit bulls everywhere here. I also think there is Lab in there.
  • We like to say that our shelter mutt is a wonder dog.
    We wonder what kind of dog she is
  • Thanks for the replys! We are thinking he is a pit/lab mix too, but we weren't sure since we haven't seen many of that mix. And a pinch of something else too maybe!

Quote:
    Is that a big shar pei muzzle?
    He has crazy flappy, rubbery lips! That was something that kept throwing us off.

Quote:
    My first guess would be pit and lab, but on the couch, I'd almost guess there was some doberman or another slim breed such as one of the sighthounds (maybe some greyhound?)
    I am thinking I took that pic shortly after he was rescued, he was extremely emaciated. He has filled out since then. The close up was taken about 6 months later.

Boyd and Clarence are great! We are very blessed, they compliment each other very well and have both adjusted to farm life. And when the hubby is away, I like having them around. My gentle giants with some sass, no one messes with me.
  • He sure is a handsome boy (both are). I love brindled coats, especially the black and tan/orange mixes, with or without white.

It reminds me of the tortoise shell coat in cats (which I also love, especially the brindled rather than patched tortie coat).

I just love the "camo" impression of the brindle coat (it reminds me of a forest floor with just a bit of light coming through from above).
  • my guess would be pit/shar pei mix. The muzzle looks like pei to me.
  • There are places that you can submit a sample of your dogs DNA to and they'll tell you what breed it's supposed to be. They're not always that accurate.... but it's still fun. I paid $60 for each of my dogs and sent a sample of cheek cells to a Canadian company (I'm in Canada). I believe it's pretty accurate though my husband doesn't think so. It sure answered some questions for me though! Like why all Kelly wanted to do was run and hunt (dalmation and siberian husky) and why Chase tries to heard other dogs at the off leash area when he was supposed to be only 1/4 border collie (over half BC!) and his strength (bull terrier).

I agree he could be pit and shar pei, though boxers and pits have a lot of characteristics in common so it could be hard to tell. Tests on my dogs showed Kelly has 7 breeds in her and Chase has 4, there could easily be a lot going on in your dog.

Google doggy DNA testing maybe, if you're really curious. I don't regret that I had it done on my dogs.
  • Not good with mixes but I do see the Pit. Love the coloring.