should i get a food scale

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have recently started logging my food intake...do i need to get a food scale in order to accuratly log my food? would i just record the data in grams/ounces? how is this different from dry/wet measuring?
  • I couldn't function without my food scale. It is so easy to go over a serving when you are dry/wet measuring. Look for one that is digital and measures in at least grams as that is what most labels list serving sizes in. And one that lets you put your bowl on the scale then "zero" out so you can add the food to the bowl and just measure the food weight is fabulous.
  • I never had one throughout my weight loss journey, and I did OK. I just bought one, and my portion sizes aren't changing (perceptibly) from their measured sizes, so I don't think the difference is all that great, except maybe on really calorie dense foods.

Still, it's nice not to have to dirty measuring cups.
  • I was wondering about food scales, too. Sometimes I feel I go way over especially with meats, chicken and fish.
  • I love my scale. It just makes sure that I am on track, if I have an up day due to water or such I know that it isn't because my 1 cup measure is different than another 1 cup measure because 56 grams is 56 grams, there ain't no heaping teaspoon measure to deal with (what is a heap?)

I don't use it all the time, just most, and it makes things feel easier for me.

My scale is easily converted to grams or ounces and zeros out easily. It is tupperware brand and I love it.
  • I would get a scale. I love my scale and use it all the time. I have one that does both the grams/ounces measure.
  • I love my scale! I find it especially helpful with meats and cheeses, basically anything you could possibly measure in ounces.
  • Do you need one?

Absolutely not.

But, I have to say I absolutely love mine. Not having to dirty extra measuring cups and measuring spoons is a big plus (especially since measuring spoons always seem to be disappearing in our house faster than single socks).
  • After going back and forth a year or so ago, I never did buy one. So no, you don't need one. I measure my items and count my nuts. I use so many whole foods that I don't have dirty things lying around much.
  • Also wanted to add--once you start counting things and meausuring things, you begin to relearn what proper portions look like. Every now and again I will actually pour my serving (I have already put into my plate) into a measuring cup to double check to make sure I am not going over when I do the "eyeball" rather than the actual measuring.
  • I always manage to break food scales because I move fairly often and they tend to get shaken and not function properly after a bumpy car journey. Because of this I have a pet hate for recipes that define the quantity of ingredients by weight.

I try to follow portion size advice like a portion of cheese should be the size of a matchbox and a portion of protein the size of a deck of cards. Here's a pretty interesting link http://www.prlog.org/10376002-dallas...be-simple.html

It states that:
    "A fist or cupped hand = 1 cup
    For example:
    1 serving = 1/2 cup cereal, cooked pasta, or rice
    OR 1 cup of raw, leafy green vegetables
    OR 1/2 cup of chopped fruits or vegetables
    A thumb = 1 ounce of cheese
    Handful = 1-2 ounces of snack food
    Remember, 1 handful = 1 ounce of nuts and small candies. For chips and pretzels, 2 handfuls = 1 ounce
    Palm = 3 ounces of meat
    Thumb Tip = 1 teaspoon

Keep high fat foods like mayonnaise to a minimum by measuring the serving with your thumb. One teaspoon is equal to the end of your thumb, from the knuckle up. Three teaspoons equals one tablespoon.
    1 tennis ball = 1 serving of fruit
    Healthy diets should include 2-4 servings of fruit each day. "

So I'd say it's not necessary to own a food scale to lose weight if you are aware of portion control. If I find out what I'm doing is not working, then I'd buy a food scale (again...) but for now I don't see a need.
  • You can get along without one but yes I think you should get one ! I went over a year without one and now that I have one I use it more than I thought I would. Its really nice and I normally just have a small plate close by at all times and use it to measure everything.I do however use my measuring cups quite a bit though! Like if I want 1/8 cup of cheese i use the measuring cup instead of the scale! They are worth the money. I got mine at walmart for about 19 bucks
  • I find having a scale really helps me see portions. Mine is digital, does grams/ounces and has the zero/tare function. It was about 20 dollars at the grocery store and started out life weighing rescued baby kittens. XD

What killed me was seeing that what nutrition labels say is a serving (one slice, one scoop, one package) but then the scale would say that the "serving" was heavier than the weight the label said I was eating! I notice that especially with "scoop" measurements since one scoop is often packed down more than the label is allowing for (but I have seen this in bread and other single-serving foods).

For wet measurements isn't going to be able to give you fluid ounces or mL (measures of volume), obviously but still very useful! Don't feel like you are going to fail without a scale but I do think they are something good to have in the kitchen (FYI, I have my scale inside a ziploc so it doesn't get anything icky inside the works and die on me).
  • I really love my kitchen scale and I've only been using it a week now. I definitely lied to myself about serving sizes before I got the scale. Plus, it is awesome for cooking meals and knowing exactly how many calories end up in the finished product.
  • Howdy,
    I use mine almost every day. When the good suggestion was made about 1 oz of cheese being size of one's thumb, I wondered about if this was the entire thumb all the way to the hand or just to the fisrt digit. With a scale, 100 gm is 100 gm.

But even more important than a scale, is writing everything down that I eat.