is there a better alfredo sauce?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I reall like alfredo sauces and cheese saauces. is there a recipe or product that is better?
  • i know there is a light sauce (Bertolli I think but I'm not sure) in the refrigerated section. I've never bought it but my mom uses it.
  • Fettucine alfredo is probably my favorite food, but I have not had the incredibly rich butter/cheese laden stuff in many years. When the craving hits I usually get a Lean Cuisine FettAlf and add lots of steamed spinach or brocholi. It hits the spot. Hungry Girl uses the Laughing Cow wedges to get the creamy effect.
  • I've not tried it but I've talked to many people that swear by Nutritional Yeast to make cheese sauces instead of actual cheese. I'm told that it specifically has to be nutritional yeast (definitely not bread yeast and Brewers Yeast is too bitter) and it has a nutty cheesy flavor like parmesan cheese. I've also heard of people using it to make any type of cheese sauce, mac and cheese, sprinkling it on food like they would cheese (like veggies) etc.

My vegan friend swears by it and its deliciousness.
  • I totally go to Lean Cuisine's fettucine alfredo for my cravings. I'd LOVE to know that recipe since it satisfies my craving so well.
  • I always thought the lean cuisine sauce was kind of thin. I like the SmartOnes better (only for this dish, otherwise I prefer LC). I like to cook my own chicken with garlic and throw it on top for fresher flavor.
  • Quote: I've not tried it but I've talked to many people that swear by Nutritional Yeast to make cheese sauces instead of actual cheese. I'm told that it specifically has to be nutritional yeast (definitely not bread yeast and Brewers Yeast is too bitter) and it has a nutty cheesy flavor like parmesan cheese. I've also heard of people using it to make any type of cheese sauce, mac and cheese, sprinkling it on food like they would cheese (like veggies) etc.

My vegan friend swears by it and its deliciousness.
    I have nutrional yeast at home and yes it does taste cheesy. I tasted it by itself when I first bought it and I thought YUCK. Sprinkled on poocorn though and it was YUM. I've tried it on bread, in a sauce and on popcorn. All three uses get a thumbs up. I got mine at the Vitamin Shoppe
  • I have to say, I just enjoyed some grilled chicken with Lean Cuisine's fettucine alfredo...it was so GOOD.
  • as im trying to stay away from processes foods, i'll give nutritional yeast a try
  • A lot of the lighter alfredo sauce recipes I've found use some sort of processed stuff (low-fat cream cheese, fat-free half & half, etc).

I've tried making my own and it turned out OK but not great... basically by making a bechamel sauce with skim milk and adding parmesan cheese, similar to this recipe:
    http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/...edo-sauce.html
    ...except I never tried adding sour cream, maybe that would be better.
  • I make a creamy sauce for pasta by combining non-fat cream cheese with goat cheese and enough milk to make it sauce-like (I use 1/2 tbsp of each cheese per serving and then I just eyeball the milk--you don't need very much). I use Trader Joe's creamy goat cheese, but you could use just regular goat cheese, it would just be a little higher in calories and you might need to add more milk. You can toss in a little lemon rind to add a lemony flavor if you want.

If you don't want to use cream cheese, you could use fromage blanc, which is similar in calories, but not as firm or processed. (BTW, you can freeze the fromage blanc if you aren't able to use it fast enough.)
  • Cook's Illustrated has a recipe for lighter alfredo sauce in their Light & Easy cookbook. I haven't tried it for myself yet, so I can't attest to how it tastes.
  • I'm a fan of the Hungry Girl recipe for alfredo sauce... tho I've tweaked it a bit to give it some more flavor. It's easy too! Her single serving recipe calls for a wedge of laughing cow cheese, a teaspoon of fat free sour cream, and 2 teaspoons of reduced fat parmesan cheese. I use low fat sour cream to give it a little more creaminess (doesnt add much fat or calories for such a little amount) and season it with salt, pepper, dried basil, and garlic powder. yum!
  • hey i just wanted to say that im from louisiana and my mother in law is chef paul prudhommes sister. She had a restaurant down here forever and has a low cal cookbook she came out with many years ago....there is an alternative to alfredo sauce that she uses for many recipes....she mixes low fat cottage cheese with fat free evaporated milk in a blender makes the best sauce ever over any pasta!!!!
  • Quote: A lot of the lighter alfredo sauce recipes I've found use some sort of processed stuff (low-fat cream cheese, fat-free half & half, etc).

I've tried making my own and it turned out OK but not great... basically by making a bechamel sauce with skim milk and adding parmesan cheese, similar to this recipe:
    http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/...edo-sauce.html
    ...except I never tried adding sour cream, maybe that would be better.
    Thanks for sharing! I too love Alfredo Sauce and lately I as making one similar to that one but using FF cream cheese, since I'm not a fan of FF products that one is a better idea.