Hello all

• Hello,
    My name is Kate and I though I would introduce myself. I am 25 and have always been on the heavy side, but the wight really picked up in high school and college when I no longer played organized sports.
    I have started a million diets a million times, each lasting about a week or two. Then it was right back to the unhealthy eating.
    Before I began this time I tried to figure out why I had failed so many times. The answer I came up with was I was to strict. I would go from eating thousands and thousands of calories a day to eating a strict 1200.
    This time I have decided to stick to a max of 2000 calories a day to start with. Depending on the day I sometimes eat less, but never less than 1500. The weight may not melt off but it will (and has) come off. I started on 12/5/2009 and weighed 272, I now 19 days later weigh 266.
    When I stumbled across this website I got really excited, you all seem to support and help each other out and I feel like this will be key to sucessfull weight loss and more importantly keeping it off.
    Thanks for reading, Kate
  • Welcome Kate! You came to the right place...these ladies rock, and are an incredible source of support and inspiration.

Happy holidays
  • Kate, it's nice to meet you! I too am new to the website and excited about all that I've seen so far! It seems you and I have a similar background in being on the heavy side and a history with sports. I noticed your weight loss and was wondering... is losing that much that fast a concern for you? I WISH that I could claim that much weight lost in 19 days, but my weight doctor gets very concerned if I report more than 5 lbs per week of weight loss. I was just wondering if I'm being over cautious because the doctor is, or if there is a real risk. Have you had any adverse affects?

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!
  • Welcome to you and to colelady2b! We're glad you're here!
  • Kate, congratulations on your weight loss and on finding this place! I've only been around a month, but it's been a very supportive and welcoming place. I think your calorie count sounds very reasonable and slow weight is the way to go for maintenance. In my opinion, the most important thing to do is pick something that doesn't feel like a diet but is something you can stick with for life; something that becomes the new "normal".

Colelady, of course you want to follow your doctor's advice. You may have some underlying health conditions the rest don't have to contend with. But generally speaking, the body tends to drop a lot of weight within the first week and then evens itself off to a slower loss. I lost about 12 pounds my first week and then 2 pounds every week thereafter.

Good luck to you both!
  • Welcome to the boards Kate. It sounds like you have a *great* plan for losing weight and keeping it off. Keep up the good work.
  • Hello and welcome! Sounds like you've learned from your previous experiences and you're using it to your benefit. I'm also taking a don't do it if there is high probability that it will prove too difficult to do for the rest of your life. I could never be successful in the long term on 1200 calories. Besides it doesn't give you much wiggle room if you need to mix things up due to a stall.
  • I just realized that I wrote I now weight 166, that is obviously wrong. I weight 266. I lost 6 pounds lol. sorry.
  • Quote: I just realized that I wrote I now weight 166, that is obviously wrong. I weight 266. I lost 6 pounds lol. sorry.
    I do this ALL the time! LOL! Wishful thinking? Freudian slip? I'm not sure, but I almost always have to go back and edit.
  • Welcome to 3FC. Sounds like you have a good plan in place.
  • Welcome!
  • Welcome ot the group Kate! Ya gotta figure out what works best for you and just stick with it!