The calm before the storm (NYE rush on 3FC)

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • For those of you who are new to 3FC, you may not know that the forum floods in January with new people and new energy and new commitment. It is a FANTASTIC time to join/rejoin 3FC and there are lots of new friends to be made and inspiration around every corner. It's tough to keep up with the posts but it's well worth it.

The newness of the New Year's resolutions starts to wear off in March and the boards tend to quiet down. For me, it's a time when I can easily give up on my weight loss commitments and give in to inertia.

As I have said before, promises aren't worth much without actions. Resolutions aren't worth much unless you have a plan to back them up.

For me, this means that I need to put in place some support systems so that I don't lose momentum!

Here's what I've done:
    1) Started a Sunday cycling group with my friends to take a long bike ride to a place for brunch. Adding friends and fun adventures with my weekend exercise means I am more likely to continue it once the "do more exercise" element wears off.

2) Signed up for a class with my university to track and improve my exercise throughout the quarter. This will allow me to establish myself with a program that forces me to continue into March.

3) Recommitted to WeightWatchers so I can track my progress.

What are YOU going to do to make sure your momentum carries you into 2010?
  • I've not been around in January but hopefully the wave of enthusiasm will have a positive impact on me.

What am I doing? I'm springing for a wii fit to add in some exercise.
  • What a great post! I'm going to have to think about it.

1. The best thing I've done (I think) is to have made a one year commitment to myself. To keep it...maybe I need to get a special calendar and some special stickers for each day. I bet I can print out a calendar from somewhere online so that it's all one page. Maybe I can add those tiny little star stickers teachers love.

2. Maybe I'll call up my best friend and make her my "commitment buddy". She wants to get more active also. Maybe I'll get some ideas from this thread as to how to keep each other accountable.
  • Wow, thanks for this! I've only been here since July so I didn't know until I read this that there'd be an influx in January - although of course it stands to reason
  • I will spend the New Year's Week SCOURING ads for sales on "get fit in 2010" promos. I'm REALLY hoping for some "buy one, get one" for dumbbells, kettlebells and anything else I use regularly.

I also signed up for the 21 day vegan challenge with my cousin. Even though I almost passed when I saw the provider was obviously affiliated with PETA. I'm not interested in becoming vegan (I'm veggie-based now) but I think that it will be a fun and interesting thing to do - not to mention shake things up.
  • I am starting the Wendy Chant lifestyle plan and I am joining the Spring Biggest Loser Challenge here! Also, I am doing the Walk Away the Pounds DVD on very cold days and other days....walking outside. I am hoping that by Jan of 2011 I wont have to make a resolution to lose weight. I am hoping 2010 will take care of that and I can maintain it forever .....those are my goals....Thanks for this post!
  • I'm just returning to the site after having baby number 2 in as many years. My weight has not suffered (I weigh about 30 lbs less than I did when I got pregnant with my first), but I have not made much progress. I'm still pondering what greater changes, but I'm definitely working on it. I'm not quite 3 weeks post-partum and haven't gotten the ok for heavy exercise, but I defintely have to figure out something to get moving regularly. Having two small children should make things more interesting, but nothing is impossible.
  • I'm going to sign up for my Y's weight loss challenge the top prize is one year free memberships! I actually think the New Year will revive. The holidays and temptation will be gone for me and I can focus 100% again on my weightloss. I started here after the rush so I look forward to all the new posts and sharing my newfound wisdom! Here's to a great year!
  • I wondered what happened after the 1st of the year with all the Holiday gaining weight and new years resolutions. I plan to get more dedicated to exercise and to continue my weight loss.
  • lol yes indeed it gets busy here with all of the new people

My biggest thing for next year is running my first 10k on the Saturday before Easter. So I've been training for that!
  • I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing! My resolution this year is to be more social and put the fact that I'm feeling better about myself to good use.

The new years resolutioners who vanish break my heart. So many people who are so gung ho about this being THE year, how they have no more excuses, how they can't live like this anymore - story after story that sounds JUST like you have felt more times than you care to remember.

And then they start disappearing after a few months (as I have from 3FC a couple of times before this) and you wonder how they are doing, will they ever tackle this, will YOU ever tackle this, and how is it possible that we can feel so desperate and still give up on ourselves time and time again despite being smart, competent, determined individuals.

The bright spot is that there are always a few who go the distance. And if we can help each other to be yet another one of those people who makes it, then it's all worth it.
  • Haha go figure! I STARTED losing weight this March.
    Well I'm almost at goal now, and not going anywhere soon. ^_^
    To make sure my momentum carries over, I'm going to keep reminding myself that this is a COMMITMENT, and I'm sticking to it whether I feel like it or not. I'll thank myself in the long run. Motivation is far too fickle to rely on.
  • I was thinking about how crazy it is going to get soon. I know that I'll be using the boards more in the wake of holiday madness, so I don't know what I'm surprised that other people will be doing the same. I'm kinda looking forward to it
    My plans:
    i set aside time in my daily schedule for working-out in my Winter/Spring schedule rather than just attempting to fit it in whenever. I do need to find a new work out buddy since mine is moving

I'm spending the post-holiday time to try and find more quick/easy recipes to start moving away from eating so many Smart Ones
  • I don't have special tactics, but don't think of my weight losing as a new year resolution, it's a whole year commitment instead. I bought the agenda and all.

I found that the key is not to weigh myself down with complicated systems and logging, so it becomes much more sustainable in the long run.
  • I've been around here for years...I first joined when I was actually gaining weight as sort of a desperation thing to try to stop myself.... That didn't work and I gained a lot of weight while I was in an unhealthy relationship for three years. I lurked for a while off and on. I got out of the unhealthy relationship and have s l o w l y been losing weight ever since. In 2009, I think I lost 16-20 pounds. My resolution was to at least get down to 199, but I failed and feel pretty bad about it. I guess I just need to be thankful that I have maintained. However, my other main goal for 2009 was to NOT GIVE UP, and I haven't. But, my goal for 2010 is to LOSE THE REST OF THE WEIGHT! I just want to be done already! I will do it by:

1. Exercising Regularly (using my treadmill, the new Wii Fit Plus I am getting for Christmas, and going for walks outside).
    2. Eating more fruits and veggies.
    3. Keeping track of my calories and adjusting my intake as I need to.

Thanks for this thread. I needed it.