30 Somethings December Chat

You're on Page 8 of 9
Go to
  • Hello ladies (and one gent)!

sorry I've been MIA for a whole week. I had a crazy Christmas. We were traveling to my grandma's (supposed to be on Wed), but my nephews flight was cancelled, so we had to go pick them up on our way to my grandma's because they could only get a flight to Memphis (luckily on our route) to get anywhere near us by Christmas, so we had to leave a day early. So I had one less day to shop for all the food for 13 people for 3 days and then pack it all. My husband and I weren't speaking to each other come bed time the day before we left.

Then my grandma kept forgetting when we were doing things and kept changing meals around. We were staying in condos near her house and she was cooking the ham and we were doing all the sides and bringing them over. We discovered 3 hours before dinner that she forgot to cook the ham! I was a basket case before we ate that night. I was in tears at one point. Then on the way home, a major family squabble broke out between my brother and nephews. We got home Saturday and then my in-laws got to our house for Christmas, phase II.

I had to work today and will work Thursday...it was kind of a break...

The scale...still gaining/losing the same 2 pounds...lost 0.4 over Christmas and gained it right back on my anniversary...so still hovering at 191... Over Christmas, we had nothing but cold rain, so outside workouts were a bust...and I had no gym available at my grandma's....

Oh well, back at the gym this week. Ran at home yesterday...

Hope everyone has an awesome new year!
  • Sending the prayers on up for you Samantha. Been there, done that - it's tough! One thing at a time, girl - you can do it!!

AFChick - I missed you! Sounds like you have done well to hover and not plunge headlong into a bag of chips and dip! I hear ya about going to work being a kind of break...your family sounds like mine! We were all snowed in here for several days...sigh...never been so glad to see them all leave.

• Hello everyone! I am a newbie. I turned 30 this year so here I am on the 30 board. It still seems odd to me. Although in many ways, I indentify with other women in thier 30s so much more than those in thier 20s. I have two little girls, 8 and 9 and am living the suburban dream. House, full-time career, youth cheerleading, basketball, the whole 9 yards. We had our girls so young, that my 20s were full of diapers and my college textbooks. I am excited for the new decade now that I have finished school and the girls are more independent. I am ready to make this decade about getting healthy and enjoying life outside of the solitude of infants and school!

Samantha ~ I fully recognize the irony of what I am going to say. I am on a forum discussing weight loss and the lifestyle changes and commitments it takes for success while offering advice for college. It's the same thing, hun. You have to decide that you are worth it, that it is your priority even above time with your family and friends, that it's an investment that everyone will benefit from and don't let other things stop you. Set yourself up for success. I worked as a receptionist for a while at a job where they understood and would let me read and study as long as I could answer the phone. I spent many evenings on the computer until wee hours of the morning doing homework. I am still catching up on TV shows from the mid 2000's that I missed. I didn't get to participate in all of the things I wanted to with my friends and even my girls. But now, we have more financial independence and I can buy them the things they want for Christmas. I have the time now to jump into thier activites with two feet. I made the choice to have children (not really, but you know what I mean) before I graduated and so this comes with it. I have so much more confidence in my abilities now with an accomplishment under my belt. Please decide to go to school and stay with it - it's soooo worth it!!
  • Good morning all!

BeachBreeze: I'm actually 29...I'll be 30 in May, but like you said, I feel like I have much more in common with the ladies in their 30s vs. the ladies in their 20s. Good luck to you!!

Samantha: You can do it! It's tough but manageable and having a good support system helps. I decided earlier this year to make a career change which meant me going back to school. Currently, I am in the corporate world and am no longer enjoying it. I have always wanted to be in the medical field, so I've decided to become a nurse! Big change for me! I work full-time, have an 18 month old, and went back to school last semester. I took 9 hrs. I took 6 hours online which helped a lot! For some reason though, it's easier this time around for me. My focus and drive are sooo different than when I was 18, 19, 20, 21...Good luck to you!!!
  • Thanks for the motivation BB & sockmonkey.
    I know that it is going to be a HUGE change. I just don't want to take away from my kids. I feel so guilty even going to the gym (leaving them at the childcare). What I'm really nervous about is juggling softball (all 3 will play) in with all this mess.

Oh well...time to put on my big girl panties and deal with it!

• 30! I dunno.......it's nothing special, right?
    Yet.....why do I feel weird about it at times? Especially when I see most women around me having kids, being pregnant or having been mothers for a while.
    I'm 30 and I don't have kids, I would love to have them, but I was single till 22 months ago. Hopefully the BF and I will move into a bigger house in 2010 and we can finally start a family, but still. I feel I'm missing out.

That combined with the fact that I'm rather overweight......I want to loose quite some weight before I get pregnant. I want to get healthier and fitter before I get pregnant. So I really should step up now and get my butt into gear again. I've got a goal to reach!
  • Quote: 30! I dunno.......it's nothing special, right?
    Yet.....why do I feel weird about it at times? Especially when I see most women around me having kids, being pregnant or having been mothers for a while.
    I'm 30 and I don't have kids, I would love to have them, but I was single till 22 months ago. Hopefully the BF and I will move into a bigger house in 2010 and we can finally start a family, but still. I feel I'm missing out.

That combined with the fact that I'm rather overweight......I want to loose quite some weight before I get pregnant. I want to get healthier and fitter before I get pregnant. So I really should step up now and get my butt into gear again. I've got a goal to reach!
    I'm with you on that Marjolein! I'm 30 with no kids but want kids; hubby's nearly 40 and doesn't want kids so late in life. I want to lose the weight before I think about getting up the duff.

I'm getting a bit jealous of all my mates, sisters and colleagues who are 30 and have had kids for a little while now. It's my turn, dammit!
  • Quote: I'm with you on that Marjolein! I'm 30 with no kids but want kids; hubby's nearly 40 and doesn't want kids so late in life. I want to lose the weight before I think about getting up the duff.

I'm getting a bit jealous of all my mates, sisters and colleagues who are 30 and have had kids for a little while now. It's my turn, dammit!
    Indeed! I feel the same way!
    Such a shame your hubby doesn't want kids. My Bf is 35 and he finally admitted that he does want kids. But no more than 2! I'm ok with that, even though I would have loved to have 4! But that was when I was 25 and sill thought I would be a mother at 26/27.
    I'm jealous too. I get so broody whenever friends or people at work bring their cute babies!
    Then again....we're properly grown up now, we can be really good mothers!

Marjolein
  • I had my kids at 27 and 29, so you guys aren't "old" by any stretch. Have the kids when you are ready. I would recommend getting to a good weight where you feel happy with yourself first though. I was at the top end of healthy weight when I got pregnant and gained 65 lbs with kid 1, had just lost it and then got pregnant with kid 2 and gained 67 pounds. It's tough to take off post kids, so get to a good starting point and never believe that you are "eating for 2".
  • Quote: Indeed! I feel the same way!
    Such a shame your hubby doesn't want kids. My Bf is 35 and he finally admitted that he does want kids. But no more than 2! I'm ok with that, even though I would have loved to have 4! But that was when I was 25 and sill thought I would be a mother at 26/27.
    I'm jealous too. I get so broody whenever friends or people at work bring their cute babies!
    Then again....we're properly grown up now, we can be really good mothers!

Marjolein
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. I haven't grown up yet, though there are times for "mature, serious" me, but those are few and far between!

What DH won't know won't hurt him and when I'm finished losing my weight this year, I'm going to get myself pregnant I mean, I'll get pregnant with his help, but won't let him know my nefarious plan. I'll visit the ob/gyn on my own, get all my pills together (I don't have cycles on my own, I need help) and then get up the duff.

Disclaimer: We've discussed kids in the past, which he said he wants them, but he just wishes he did it earlier.
  • All this talk about making babies is making me wanna...hear about your guys' babies!!

Four is enough for me, and having these last two 23 months apart was NUTS! I'm on the mini-pill while BF'ing and I don't have cycles. I'm constantly afraid that I'm actually preggers again and don't know it. Having #4 was so difficult that I would cry for a week if I found out we were having another...ahem...surprise!
  • I'm 32 and I have 1... he's 16 already and about to graduate high school in 2.5 years.

I did it wayyy early and envy those who are old enough to realize what you might be missing if you're not careful... he is the love of my life and I kind of chuckle at the fact that at 32 I could have another, when I'm almost done raising the one I had so many years ago.... so strange to really think about.
  • Quote: What DH won't know won't hurt him and when I'm finished losing my weight this year, I'm going to get myself pregnant I mean, I'll get pregnant with his help, but won't let him know my nefarious plan. I'll visit the ob/gyn on my own, get all my pills together (I don't have cycles on my own, I need help) and then get up the duff.

Disclaimer: We've discussed kids in the past, which he said he wants them, but he just wishes he did it earlier.
    Naughty you!
    I do understand where he's coming from, though, my Bf said the same thing. A couple of years back he was really into them, but now he isn't as much, but because I want to have them, he'll 'join in' the fun! LOL

@bensempress, wow! 16 already! I teach 16 year old kids and I'm 30....*imagining me being their mother.....shudder* Respect to you. Really. 16 year olds can be vile! LOL Not all of them are of course...

I've wanted kids since I was 19, so I'm pretty desperate by now. Yet I have also embraced the fact tat it will happen in it's own good time. It just wasn't a good time before now. Hopefully in a year time it will be the right time.

Any other 'problems' now that we are in our 30-ies?

Marjolein
  • Wow...I'm 32 now and my DH and I are just planning to start a family soon. I'm the oldest of four kids so I sorta know what the madness can be like, so kudos to those of you who are currently raising small children! My plan: two kids MAX!
  • Two is definitely enough for me...I wanted 2 girls originally, had boy #1...said "OK, a boy and girl"....had boy #2 and said "Two boys is great! We're done!". Six weeks after he was born I called and made an appointment for DH to get "snipped". The person on the appointment line LOL'd that I called. I leave nothing to chance....

My boys are now 7 and 9, are way out of diapers, don't need constant (close) supervision, and we have a lot of fun with them. I can honestly say they are the best part of my life and I think I had them at the right time for me. I had just finished my master's degree when I got pregnant the first time.

I've heard of people who got snipped suddenly having a surprise several years later...I think I would faint, then slap my DH silly if that happened....