Quilters, Crafters, and Chatters for Weight Loss

You're on Page 3 of 9
Go to
  • Just wanted to pop on and say Hi! Hope you all have had a great weekend. Not too much productive happening around here, I need to do laundry as usual, but today we had to work on cars.. ended up having to rip all the carpet out of the Jeep before it mildewed (the top leaked and ended up with 3 inches of water INSIDE).. and then we had to change a tire on my explorer because I apparently ran over a staple last night.. ugh... hopefully I can sew some this week, have a John Deere quilt that is supposed to be finished by Thanksgiving and it's not looking good, lol. Here's to a productive, peaceful and happy week for us all!!!!

Dee
  • Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I shared this with the IE thread and thought I would share with y'all what is suddenly working for me. I know I have to watch my carbs because of my blood sugar. Don't want to be diabetic ever again. I lost almost 70 lbs almost 7 years ago doing CAD and like that way of eating, but I also like the IE way of eating. I suddenly realized last week that I can very easily combine the 2. I always have what they call the Reward Meal everyday about the same time so that I only get an insulin surge once a day so that I am controlling my insulin myself. Don't really care for eating breakfast and would never eat at as a child and teenager except on very special occasions. So I just have my coffee. Then I eat a CM meal or snack which are just low carb meals as needed Intuitively. This is working great because food isn't on my mind all the time and I know I can eat if I get hungry.

I kind of got the idea from the fact when I read the Heller's story in the first book. Rachel first learned that she could eat only one meal a day when she had unexpectedly had to wait all day for an x-ray to be done that she had originally planned to have early morning. She panicked thinking she had to go all day without any food till later because she had never been able to do it. She learned she not only could do it, but she dropped weight and started experimenting with the idea and learned that she could eat only one meal a day and eat what she liked and as much as she needed and lose the weight and continued doing it for quite some time. And then I read that Richard never eats breakfast just drinks coffee. I don't remember if she did the one meal a day till she got to goal or not, but she did it in the beginning and she always had something on hand to eat if she got hungry. I know I cannot decide that I'm going to just eat one meal a day. If I did that, I would be eating all day and if I allow myself to do IE with no guidelines I go wild, but I can eat one good meal each day with the idea that I can eat something else if and when I need it. I started doing this last week and I am amazed at how long I can go a long time without getting hungry. In fact I suddenly realized that when I lost almost 70 lbs about 7 years ago this is pretty much the way that I ate. I am getting the benefit of both controlling my insulin with CAD and IE by doing it this way. Just thought I would share my experience.
    We just can never give up looking for what works for us individually as one diet doesn't fit all. Sometimes we might even have to take some good things from several and put them together.

Jane I started reading my cards again like we learned with Beck Solutions. It really makes a difference. How is your recordings you did helping you?

Y'all have a great Monday.
  • Hi everyone, just a quick check in! Our weather has finally turned delightfully cooler after an unseasonably-warm fall. I ran my half marathon on Sunday morning and posted a much better time than I expected. (race report under the November runners thread). I think the cooler weather was a major factor.

I've got some vacation days to burn (my company has a use it or lose it policy) so I'm taking Friday off. I'm hoping to get my Christmas shopping plan together. My family keeps the gifts small, and I collect things through the year, so I start to lose track of what I've already got! Once I get my list together, actually doing the shopping is easy. It's figuring out what to get that's tough!

Weight-wise, I'm staying in my maintenance window. It's really hard to balance athletic performance with diet. Conventional wisdom states that you are supposed to "taper" (work out less) before a big race, fuel up (the "carbo-load"), run the race, then eat carbs and protein to recover. I did that last year and gained several pounds through race season! Yeah, because you work out less and eat more! Duh. So, I worked hard to get back to my maintenance window BEFORE my first race and am making a very conscious effort not to over-fuel. It's hard, eat too little and you poop out, eat too much and you gain. It's never easy, is it? But I'll take this "hard" over being 40 pounds heavier and unable to run at all ...
  • Hi all,

Dee - my youngest grandson would love a John Deere quilt. Let us know if you get it done for T'giving. If not, it would make a great Christmas present. Wow, what a project you had, getting the Jeep carpet out! Hopefully your insurance will cover the cost of replacing it.

Trish - sounds like you found just the right combination of programs for yourself. Something that suits your lifestyle, yet not too strict, or lenient. How did today go?

MBN - good luck with the Christmas shopping. I like to buy things all year long, too. It's the men in the family that are a challenge when it comes to finding the right present, imho. I agree with the "hard" you've chosen. Yay for you, placing at a better time than you thought you would in the race.

I had fun today in town with friends, celebrating one of their birthdays. We got a little rowdy, lol. I had a sandwich, but did not eat the fries that came with it. I don't know why, but I wasn't even tempted by them. Probably too full after having a pina colada, lol. After that was a stop for produce and milk. Tomorrow my carpet cleaner guy is coming bright and early to do the heavy traffic areas in my living room. I wish I had a darker colored carpet, with 2 dogs and a hubby that drips coffee, lol.

Have a good Wednesday!
  • Quickie check-in from me to say "Hi!" to you all! My cold is finally gone and I'm getting my energy back, just in time, it seems. Life is pretty crazy right now, but should slow down by the end of the week.

I'll try to stop in later this evening to catch up with you all.
  • Cottagebythesea Glad you are feeling better.

MBN You are doing a great job. Enjoy your days off.

Jane, Penguin and Dee Hi there.

I got my Callanetics dvd yesterday and did it for the first time today. I can see why she recommends doing only 2 or 3 days a week. I know I will only get 2 days in this week and may do only 2 days until January. Depends on how I do. It is usually hard for me to get up and down from the floor, but I was surprised and pleased at how well I did. Of course, you modify each exercise according to when you start to feel the stretch and as time goes only you should be able to do more and more. I believe it will be good for my back and knees.

Getting tired as I've been up a long time today. Think I'll finish up checking emails and threads and then go to bed early. Catch y'all tomorrow.
  • Hi all,

Linda - I'm so glad you're feeling better, and that things will be slowing down for you a bit.

Trish - I remember doing callenetics in high school gym class! Wait... that was calisthenics... wonder what the difference is? If you have trouble getting up from the floor, you might want to do the exercises on the bed, if you have a dvd player close by.

No crafting for me today - too much going on. DD Mary will be here to visit in a bit, then DS Terry is bringing out lunch. No clue what. This evening, we're having friends in for dinner, and will be playing with the Wii after. So at least I'll be getting some exercise!

Have a crafty day.
  • Sorry to me MIA. My computer has gone crazy and won't let me log in at Chicks. I'm at a friend's . Hope to get the prolbem fixed and back soon!
  • Hello gals!
    How is everyone doing? Keeping those hands busy and out of the food?

We've had a horrible hot/humid weather pattern the last couple days so it's been quite miserable. Certainly not the kind of weather to get much done.

I did start a new project. A few years back I had purchased a few little girl patterns with the thought of making some clothes for my cousin's little girl. Well, they never got started and now Ani is too big for the patterns. BUT, I figure, that doesn't prevent me from sewing some clothes for the next little girl to come into the family. So, I cut out 2 little pairs of trouser and 2 sundresses. I'll post pictures when I get them finished. Anything to keep me busy and my craft ADHD at bay!

Did a 90 minute aqua aerobic class this morning. I thought the instructor was going to kill us. For whatever reason, this particular instructor is so good at motivating me. If anyone thinks that an aqua class is easy, they should take a class from this gal. Good grief. I was going to do weights and boxing after the aqua class but there was simply no puff left in this little red engine. Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here much. Just staying busy. Got to get house ready for company to come for a few hours Thanksgiving Day. This will probably be our last T'Day with them as they are moving. So will be nice to visit with them.

The Callanetics has gotten me motivated. The fact that I can get up and down from the floor (with a little bit of a struggle) made me feel good about myself and to realize that this 66 yr old gal can make a come back. I didn't know how to work the dvd in living room, but decided to learn how. You know these men and their electronic toys. DH has more buttons you have to push to get things going. Decided that when Bill was living that I had to learn how to do all that stuff cause he was a cop and gone all the time. So I can do it now. We are the ones who decide we cannot do certain things. I think we have to tell the body what it is going to do not the other way around. Remember the last thing Tony's Mother told us before she died was, "Kids, don't ever get to the place that you think of yourself as being old". I think that is good advice. Any way, I got up this morning got the living room dvd working and did my 30 minute "Sweatin' to the Oldies" exercise. I kept thinking I don't have to do the whole thing. I can quit if I need to. I ended up doing the whole thing. Actually was able to do the floor part and got up without holding on to a chair. I am so excited about this. There was a time years ago when I had the tape that I did that tape 6 days a week. I think I can do it 4 days for now or at least 3.

KrisR I always wished I could get into aqua arobics. I thought it would be easier for me. Maybe not. Hope your heat spell is over.

Penguin Hope you get your computer problems fixed. A few days ago I had the problem of everytime I would write a message on here that I would lose it when I hit the submit button. So I quit trying for a while.

Jane, MBN, Dee and anyone else I missed

Y'all have a great weekend!!!
  • Hello all,

Penguin - hope you get your computer fixed soon. I go crazy when mine is acting up! But my house gets cleaner, haha.

Kris - I'd love to see the photos of the clothes you're making when they are finished. Good for you, doing 90 minutes of aqua class!

Trish - I have to admit I love electronic gadgets, and am the one here that buys them. Neal would still be using 8-tracks if I left it up to him, lol. A big YAY to you for doing the video, and I love your attitude about not thinking we're too old to do certain things. How true!

Hi also to Dee, MBN, Linda, Institches, and anyone else reading this.

My cell phone needed replaced, so I got one of those new Motorola Droids yesterday and am loving it! (told ya I love electronics, lol) Anyway, today I've been spending a lot of time learning to use the features on it. Also doing laundry and getting some paperwork done. Tomorrow the girls will be here, and I'll be busy with church and them most of the day.

I hope you're having a good weekend.
  • Trish,

You GO girl! I loved reading your post. I think you are right....it is all a matter of our state of mind - or mostly anyway.

Cheers all-
  • Hi all,

I spent yesterday in Terre Haute with DD Mary. She has a rheumatoid arthritis arthritis doctor there, and gets infusions.

Today my good friend Marquita is coming over for lunch. It's been awhile since she's been here, and we're due for a good chat.

No crafting for me this week, unless you count the cooking craft of making Thanksgiving dinner!

How is your week going?
  • Just a quick one to say hello. Going to wally world today hoping I can get my last minute shopping done for T'day before the everybody goes tomorrow. Planning store trip to spend the rest of today and tomorrow getting ready for company coming Thursday for dinner.

Everything is going great diet wise. I am still doing my Intuitive Eating, but counting calories at the same time just to see how I'm doing that way. I'm so thankful that IE is working for me so well right now. I've been reading all over 3fc and came across a diet called Clean Eating. I'm not necessarily using the diet because I eat pretty much that way already, but since I don't like the word "diet" because it means restrictive and makes me think I'm going to get off when I reach goal... you know some of the traps we set for ourselves to mess up. So now I like to say that I am an Intuitive Clean Eater. I'm doing my exercises at least 3 days a week. I did the 30 min 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds yesterday and was too hard on my back and hip. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to do the 1 mile 20 miin tape instead. I'm trying to do different exercises to ward off boredom. I was able to do the Richard Simmon's 30 minute Sweatin' to the Oldies with no problem. So I think I can get 5 days of exercise done including my callanetic 2x a week. So that should help get the scales moving in my favor as well.

I have my plan for the big dinner Thursday. I read what someone else does, I think it was on Eat Clean site. I'll eat a little bit of all the things I like and want and if I want more I can go back. She said she usually doesn't want with the thought that I can back for more. Also remembering what I read somewhere else that after 2 or 3 bites that the food doesn't taste as good, I plan to eat enough bites to enjoy the taste of the foods I only eat at Thanksgiving. I plan only making enough not to have a lot of left overs (I'm not making the turkey and dressing) just the side dishes and desserts. I will send most of what is left home with the guests. So I have my plan and ready to go.

Jane Hope you have a great day with your friend. I had planned to call you today and yesterday but never had the time. I knew why when I saw your plans on FB.

KrisR, MBN, Penguin and everyone else

Took off from BSF tomorrow and guess what? No rain in the forecast. Rained really heavy the last 2 weeks and we might get rain next week. Wouldn't you know it?

I don't know if I'll post again before T'day so Y'all have a good one.
  • Hi all,

It's been hard to get connected here, with the "server too busy" thing going on! Glad that's fixed!

Trish - sounds like you had a very good plan in place for T'giving. I didn't do too bad, but did indulge somewhat.

I hope each of you had a good holiday. My electric power went out, so we packed up the food and went to my sister's. You know what they say, "We make plans, and God laughs." Haha, so true!!

I got in some crafting after all this week. Our church gave everyone a plain silver Christmas ball to decorate for the tree in Fellowship Hall, and I fixed mine up Tuesday night. I'm not talented for that kind of thing, so mine's kind of simple, but I'll take a picture of it to share with the crafters here.

Any Black Friday shoppers here? I used to be out there with the best of them, but not anymore.

Have a good day.