Advice on Paying for Surgery Desperately Needed

• Hi All,

I am currently scheduled to do a self-pay on the sleeve on Dec 2nd. However, now I am reading on some of the WLS boards that the sleeve surgery will be covered by Medicare in January. My problem is that I can't get any confirmation of this. I've called Medicare and the representatives only know about what is currently approved. My surgeon's office doesn't know either.

Does anyone know how to find out more info about what Medicare is going to approve soon? I would hate to have the operation in December only to see it get approved in January. If you were me, would you postpone a month just in case all this is true?
    Thanks so much for your advice.

Pennie
  • I guess if you can I would just postpone for one month- I tried looking it up online and couldn't find anything that was saying yes or no for sure.
  • I would postpone. Especially with the health care reform vote coming this week. Medicare will pay for a lot more than it does now.
  • I would postpone.
  • i would postpone...
  • another vote for postponing!
  • The health care reform bill will limit the number of WLS done each year. Medicare will have limits on joint replacements, heart surgery, etc. done each year. Read the bill. It's really sad.