Binge-free challenge ~ Nov. 2 - 8

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Good Monday morning, chickies! Let's make this a binge-free week. All are welcome!
  • I'm here! I was good last week! Which is amazing. It was the first week in a that I can remember where I didn't down a whole bag of chips at some point throughout the week. I'm gonna do my best to do it again this week. Thanks for all the support from this board!
  • Okay, starting day 1 for me! I did pretty poorly last week, so I'm going to work for an improvement (note my choice of words: "work for" and not "hope for"...it's all me!)
  • Count me in!!! Wardhog like the pic btw!! :-)

~D~
  • Count me in! Today is my day 3!
  • Hi, My name is Tammy and I would like to join in with you chickies. Today is my first day (of being binge free).

I have been reading a book called "Take it off and keep it off". It has some great points in it that I am hoping to incorporate.

Can everyone here tell me what eating "plan" you are on? I am on WW right now..... but this book (which does not mention it by name) states that counting things so strictly can lead to bingeing. Do you all find this true? Maybe I am going about this the wrong way...... ?
  • Welcome ladyrider!

I know that some people find that being really strict leads them to binge, while others find that if they aren't strict, they binge. So I think it depends on the person. I'm in the too strict=binge category. So my "plan" is nothing official. I call it my "eat less sh$#" plan. I eat when I'm hungry. I stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore. And during this hungry time, I eat healthy foods that will keep me full (veggies, lean protiens). When I go out to eat with others, I allow myself to indugle a little. I did this a few years ago, and lost 30 lbs over one summer. (then gained it all back!) My logic was based on my naturally thin former roommate. She would indulge in ice cream and greasy food somethings--just not every night!

So I think it depends on you, try it one way, if that doesn't work, try it the other way. I think the most important part is to be honest with yourself about what you're eating, regardless of your plan.
  • Count me in, too! I'm brand new to the forum, but not to the weight-loss rollercoaster. I'm not sure yet whether I'm a strict diet=binge or the opposite, but I do know that I just get sick and tired of keeping track of every morsel that passes my lips. I'm going for a total, permanent lifestyle change, and I just don't think that keeping track of calories or points for the rest of my life is a very reasonable expectation.

I've been thinking about big goals and small goals, and I think that my first small goal will be a binge-free week.
  • Hi Tammy and NoDak, welcome! Happy Monday to the returning chicks as well!

I'm working on developing a better eating plan for myself at the moment. I have been counting calories, but it's not always helpful (sometimes that just feeds my food obsession).

I'm starting today at day 1 again. Here we go...
  • Quote: I know that some people find that being really strict leads them to binge, while others find that if they aren't strict, they binge.
    I waver between the 2.
    I basically blew it Sat night, then continued to stress eat/graze Sunday.
    At least I got some exercise in.
    I am disappointed in myself that I will be leaving on vacation in not-great shape = won't like how bathing suit fits, won't want pictures.

(and who knows what I will weigh when I return: I refuse to 'diet' on vacation)
  • Hi everyone! I was looking through posts today and came across this one - which inspired me to have a salad while my coworkers shared a free pizza! Woohoo- thanks!!!!!
  • counting
    I think it is helpful to count for a little while so you have some awareness of your calorie consumption.

For bingers like me, I do think it is helpful to not focus on ANY number: not the scale or the calories or anything. I get too obsessed or focused on it. It is like my self-worth gets all wrapped up in it. If my scale goes down; I am having a good day. If my sclae goes up; I am having a bad day. If I reach my calorie limit and I am still hungry I start to panic.

My "plan" is just that: a plan for eating. My binging is so much about unconscious consumption. I go into the kitchen hungry and before I know it I have eaten a ton of junk. Or I sit down in front of the TV with a whole bag of chips. It really doesn't matter what I eat, as long as I planned it. As long as I take the time to think about it, I usually pick healthy choices.

I don't "count" any of my calories, but I have dieted enough before to know what to avoid. I just stop and THINK before I grab something. I think: how many servings of veggies have I had today? How much protein? What would be the healthiest choice for me?

I eat when I am hungry. I just try to eat small amounts of healthy food. This way I don't feel like I am "dieting" and I think it will help me in the long run.

Good luck everyone!

Day Two for me!
  • This is my second day binge free. I blew it on Halloween. ( 3 lb. gain!) I count every calorie and fat gram. I've been doing it since Sept. of 2008. I think that is why I binge. I am strict and only eat about 1100 cal a day. But it seems like enough for me because I never feel starved and it's all fruit, veggies and whole foods. Sometimes I just want one day that I don't have to think about it, so I sit down with my natural peanut butter and chocolate marshmellow frozen yogurt and eat til I am sick and gain 3 lbs. No more! I'm sick of feeling guilty and trying so hard to lose the weight I gain from it. I always lose it again but it takes alot of willpower and strict dieting to get it off. I refuse to buy these items anymore!
  • UGH! It's official. My halloween binge resulted in a 3lb gain. I just changed my stats. I was down to 143 on Friday, but today I was 146.

I am on day two, but feeling discouraged.
  • Karen -- you are OK. I know how devastatingly disappointing scale numbers can be, but remember, what matters is NOT what you did on Halloween but what you are going to do today -- right now, in fact. I'm here for you.

Fruitlady -- 1100 calories is pretty low -- I agree that that's probably partially why you binge. I've read in a few places that you should always eat at LEAST 1200 calories a day to keep your body from feeling like it's in starvation mode. I'm not sure what your daily caloric needs are or anything, but I've generally heard that 1500 calories a day is a good number to lose weight with -- maybe if you upped your daily calorie intake just a little you'd be less likely to binge while still being able to lose weight?

ETA: Not such a good start for my week... I binged on unexpected Halloween candy my coworker brought in. I had 5 Reese's, so it could have been a lot worse, but I felt that icky "I don't care, I can't stop" feeling, so I'm starting again tomorrow on day 1.

I need to think of some kind of reward I could give myself if I get through the whole rest of the week without binging... 6 days would be my highest number so far and it might be motivating. Hmm...