~~November Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 11 of 15
Go to
  • Hi, I've been outside working all day. Our sweet chickens are gone. In the fall they always molt, lose lots of feathers and they stop laying eggs for 6 weeks. Wellllllllllll...two months went by and no eggs. They were getting very old and it doesn't pay to keep feeding them and keeping the hen house warm all winter if they don't put out. Hubby did the dirty deed before he left for hunting. We both loved those chicken, he said he couldn't eat them. I said NUTS TO THAT!
    We've been feeding them and I'm not going to let some coyotes eat them. He said o.k. but I'd have to cut the meat up in small pieces and put it in chow mein or something. He didn't want to look at a leg or breast. I don't know what the difference is, he can shoot a beautiful graceful deer and eat that! So today I took the fence down and pulled out all the post holding up the fence. Gosh, it took me most of the day. I used a jack to lift the post out, got everything done except for the two post and the gate. I'll tackle that tomorrow. Oh the calories I burned!
    Institches...I checked out your recipes, can I use regular milk instead of the evaporated milk? I use skim milk in my pumpkin pudding and it would be a lot less calories. On the second recipe you typed in PC syrup. What's that? I've made crust with Fiber One before. You asked how I got so much fiber in? FIBER ONE. I eat a serving for breakfast with a banana or pear and homemade yogurt. One serving has only 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber. I always have a SF pudding after supper with FF Cool Whip, topped with 1/2 serving of Fiber One. It makes the pudding taste like upside down pie. DH even loves pudding with Fiber One on top. I'm a huge fruits and vegetables fan. I love all kinds of veggies and always load my plate up with them. You have to be careful when you eat that much fiber, drink lots of water with it. I've never had problems with all that fiber but Karen from Florida tried adding fiber to her diet and got into trouble with it. I can't remember if she didn't drink enough water or what the problem was.
    Lynn...I agree with you, no calorie counting on Thanksgiving. I'm going to change my challenge, I just can't stand on one foot a whole minute. It hurts my ankles and calves. I purchased a stepper and will use that as my challenge. It was just delivered today so I'm not sure how I'll use it. I tried it for a couple of minutes. It took me 4 minutes to do 200 steps. I think I'll work on it daily, record the minutes at the end of the day and keep trying to increase my time.
    The Yoga Tree Pose sucks!
    Time to eat, take care everyone.
  • Quote: Hi Institches,

Didn't you know? Nothing has calories on Thanksgiving . I'll take the one with the crust.

Lynn
    Love It!! so be it, calorie free

jess1, love your way of thinking, no calories, away from home!

Bobbolink- when you mentioned skim milk, which honestly I've never tried in my pumkin pie, I had to look at the back of the can of evap. milk- Yikes!! 300 calories for the can. I might just have to try the skim milk, I guess I would need to use alot less, since the skim milk is not as thick as evap. The PC is pancake syrup. I've only made the crustless one the last couple of years, but I was planning on making the crusted pie, instead this year, and of course the full fat recipe, My DD would dis-own me, if there wasn't two pies for her, one to share with family on Thanksgiving and one for her to bring home.

Wow sounds like you had one heck of a day

thank you for the fiber help, and yes lots of extra water, when I do have Fiber One. I have this recipe for haystacks using Fiber One, if anyone would like me to post, just let me know.
  • Good Morning Everyone,

Meeting my DF today. Not sure what we will do, but we will start out with our 90 min walk on the canal.

Check back later,

Lynn
  • Good Saturday Morning!
    I have a migraine headache this morning, too much lifting yesterday I think. It's going to be 53 degrees today, might try to hang out one last load of laundry and finish up the fence gate and poles.
    I checked my pantry yesterday for fat free evaporated milk and didn't find any, I wasn't going to use it but wanted to see how many calories were in it. If I made this for company I'd put the real thing in but I wanted to try it just for myself using skim milk. I did find two cans of fat free sweetened condensed milk, talk about calories! 2 Tablespoons have 110 calories. Anyway, I googled recipes using it up because both cans expired 2006. I found two yummy sounding recipes, Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Fudge and Chocolate Coconut Balls. I'll make these and freeze for Christmas, talk about fat and cholesteral city. I won't touch them I promise.
    Off I go!
    Lynn...wish I could join you on your 90 minute walk.
    Institches...do you have a shorter name we can call you? Fiber One has recipes on their web site, I think that's where I saw the Haystack recipe. Let us know how they turn out, like are they worth the calories?
    Rosey...A deep voice would be sexy, a beard? Ommmmmm, not!
    Quote:
    yikes hope i dont get a deep voice and a beard and other unwanted things
  • Good Morning, All!
    Pulled out the hated scale and, eureka!!, 2# down. Onward and downward! Yea!!

Bobbi, you make me very tired, just reading about all your hard physical labor.

Lynn, you make me very tired, just reading about your 90 minute walk.

Piddly, annoying, errand-y things to do today. Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

• Bobbi, this is for you!

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcar...ode=HY27482779

NO Calories!!!!
  • Hello people. I've not had the energy to post the last few days. Baby has me working overtime. I'm used to lounging around about supper time and that's my busy time with him.

Zoe, yes, lifting Baby is as good as a workout. I can't imagine having two of him. You must be beat out tired by the time you hit the bed. So happy to hear your DD is getting some movement back in her arms/hands.

I didn't lose anything this week but I was on plan so I'm ok with the 0 results. Next week is soon enough for another pound. I've lost 14 pounds since September 8 when we started the Halloween Challenge so if I do as good as that in this new Winter Challenge I'll not complain.

Lynn sorry I can't give you a pumpkin pie recipes. All my recipes are home on my computer or in my paper files. But if it's got sugar, full milk/cream, spices and a crust it should be wonderful.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Catch you all later.
  • Just catching up...I know I,ve been MIA....down 2 pounds so far this fall. Did a 5K walk/run this am and did a respectable 41 minutes. (My DH did 29...he's lost 30 pounds so far this year!)...Off to NC for Thanksgiving with my DD and son-in-law.

Zoe - glad your DD is doing better.

Freda - hope the cast is not too uncomfortable,

Hi to Bobbi, Lynn, Karen, Glynne, Donna, AK Rosie and everyone else. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lyn
  • Hello everybody,

Sure hope everyone is having a good weekend. It seems like we have been busy all week but haven't got much done. Guess it is some of that stuff that you do that doesn't show!

My sister called me this afternoon. Her son and his family are moving back in with them for awhile. Probably until the Spring anyway. They have one little girl about 3 year and another on the way. He has been accepted at MSSU and wants to get his teaching degree. Anyway, the reason she called is she is making room for them and wanted to know if I wanted her treadmill and incumbent bike... I have a treadmill but hers is much nicer and I've been watching for a incumbent bike for some time. So they brought those over this evening. I told her I would just keep them here for her now and when things get back to normal and she wants them back she can have them. BUT in the meantime since I now will have 2 treadmills in my "woman cave" she could come over and we could workout together. I imagine after having the house to themselves for awhile there will be times that she may want to just get away for awhile... I've been there too.

I haven't started Christmas yet---but will after Thanksgiving is over. Although I did buy the new tree--just haven't put it up yet. I'm getting anxious though.

I'm sure next week will be busy for all of us. Last week we went to the VA hospital in Fayetville, Arkansas for Tim to be checked out. He has adhesive capsulitis in both shoulders (frozen shoulders) They are going to start out with physical therapy and see if that helps before trying anything else. Now he has to wait for an appointment to go back down there. Monday he has to go to the VA hospital in Mt. Vernon for more lab tests. Tuesday he goes in for his colonoscopy here in town. Wednesday will be a busy day cooking for Thursday.
    So once this week is done I have made a promise to myself that I am going to take one hour everyday for ME and spend it in my Woman cave! It seems like I can find time to do everything but that so I'm just going to do it!! My goodness I have so much stuff down there now that I could almost open up my own gym!!!

I hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend. Take care of yourselves!!
  • Hi Everyone,

It's time to revise my Winter Challenge goal. I have gained 3 lbs since I began. I think that the additional good carbs is triggering me to eat bad carbs. Instead of just piling up on the fruit and veggies during the day, I am going to try replacing one meal/day with the fruit and veggies.

This is a BAD week to be up 3 lbs. I am going to do my best to lose what I can before Thursday. Even though the food has no calories on holidays, I somehow always seem to gain weight the day after

Lynn
  • Good Sunday Morning!
    I'm skipping church today, still have a migraine headache. I have a couple of comments.
    Institches, do you have a shorter name? Did you try the skim milk yet in the pumpkin recipe?
    Karen...why don't you get all your friends/family to come in a couple days a week to exercise with you. You could have a tape playing, when the upbeat song ends, everyone get off their machines and switch. Just like they do at curves, I loved going there but it got to be too many miles traveling every day.
    Quote:
    My goodness I have so much stuff down there now that I could almost open up my own gym!!!
    Jess...I loved the clip on the pumpkin pie, really cute! I wish it was that easy, It made me very hungry. Congrats on the two pound loss!
    Isabella...You've done a fantastic job losing, we're all so very proud of you.
    Quote:
    I've lost 14 pounds since September 8 when we started the Halloween Challenge so if I do as good as that in this new Winter Challenge I'll not complain.
    Lynard...don't ya just hate how men lose quicker than women? But they don't carry and keep fat like woman do, we're fluffy!
    Quote:
    Just catching up...I know I,ve been MIA....down 2 pounds so far this fall. Did a 5K walk/run this am and did a respectable 41 minutes. (My DH did 29...he's lost 30 pounds so far this year!)...
    Lynn...Sorry to hear of your gain, how frustrating. I had to revise my Winter challenge goal too. The stepper is boring but then I find all exercising equipment boring.
    Quote:
    It's time to revise my Winter Challenge goal
    I wonder how the other Karen is doing, anybody hear from you lately? Hi anyone I missed, have a great Sunday.
  • Bobbi,

I am thinking about trying to match your stepping. I have a couple of questions. Are you doing all your steps at the same time or spreading them out over several sessions?

Are you using some kind of a counter, or are you actually counting each step? Are you stepping with a video or just on your own?

Lynn
  • Good Morning all,

Hope you all have a blessed Sunday. I wish I could say i'm getting used to this cast, but i'm not. I hear where you're coming from Lynn, if I had a saw i would have cut this thing off like you did. I'm calling the Dr. Monday and see if he can change it. One bad thing with it too. I can't weigh in, or even use my regular clothes to tell if I'm gaining or losing.

Lynn, Sorry to hear about the weight gain. I know that's the last thing we want to see, but sometimes we have to find out what works and what doesn't. I know you will make the needed changes.

Bobbi, Sorry to hear about you Chickies. First thing we learned on the farm, you don't get attached. Animals are food. It was hard at times though. Are you getting more in the spring? Hope your headache is better. I used to get migraines too, horrible things.

Karen, No excuses girl. That "woman cave" is too well stocked not to take advantage. You have to get into the habbit of exercising. Pick a time and just go. After awhile you will just know that it's (2 oclock, time to exercise). if you can get your sister to exercise with you it makes it so much more enjoyable, but you really can't depend on someone else.

Hi Lyn, good to see you again. And it is so unfair how men lose so much quicker than we do!

Isabella, I totally agree, running after babies is so exercise! And you're right not to get upset about not losing every week. We just have to do what we need to do and our body will follow in it's own time. I know at one point I was truly thinking about taking Alli because I thought the needle on the scale would never move. But I didn't., and it did.

Donna, Congratulations on the 2 lb. Way to go girl!!

Everyone, make it a good day

Freda
  • Migraines and Food
    Pain-Safe Foods
    Pain-safe foods virtually never contribute to headaches or other painful conditions. These include:
     Rice, especially brown rice
     Cooked green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard, or collards
     Cooked orange vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes
     Cooked yellow vegetables, such as summer squash
     Cooked or dried non-citrus fruits: cherries, cranberries, pears, prunes (but not citrus fruits, apples, bananas, peaches, or tomatoes)
     Water: Plain water or carbonated forms, such as Perrier, are fine. Other beverages—even herbal teas—can be triggers.
     Condiments: Modest amounts of salt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract are usually well-tolerated.

Common Triggers
    Common triggers often cause headaches in susceptible people. Just as some food sensitivities manifest as a rash on your skin, migraine sufferers have a reaction in the blood vessels and nerves. Here are the common food triggers, also known as the "Dirty Dozen," in order of importance:
     dairy products*
     chocolate
     eggs
     citrus fruits
     meat**
     wheat (bread, pasta, etc.)
     nuts and peanuts
     tomatoes
     onions
     corn
     apples
     bananas

* Includes skim or whole cow’s milk, goat’s milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
    ** Includes beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, etc.
    Certain beverages and additives are also among the worst triggers, including alcoholic beverages (especially red wine), caffeinated drinks (coffee, tea, and colas), monosodium glutamate, aspartame (NutraSweet), and nitrites.
  • A Thanksgiving Prayer:
    Dear Our Lady of Thanksgiving
    May I overstuff the turkey, rather than myself;
    But, should I succumb, overindulge, carbo load, or drift into a burnt marshmallow sweet potato sugar induced coma,
    I pray, Dear Lady, that I return to my senses, first thing Friday morn
    and NOT set sail on a decade long fat detour. Amen!---Janice Taylor

Have a lovely rest of the weekend!!