how powerful of a role does your "mind" play in your weightloss journey?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have yo-yo dieting for many many years, always losing weight thinking I had found "the key" to keeping it off. I never found the right key. Now I believe, in this final weight loss journey (this time....it's the real deal...and I'll tell you why), I have found that key. I have never felt more powerful and in control in all the other weight loss journeys as I do this time around. This time, I actually "BELIEVE" in myself. I claimed my victory from day one and now it's just a matter of doing what I believe (in my mind) will happen to get those results. When I wake up, I tell myself "I will have a great day on plan." And I believe that I will make the right choices for my body, and I follow suit. It's like....I start my day off believing that I will do the things I set out to do and it creates great motivation and desire to acheive it. I accept ahead of time that things may not go according to plan all the time but I will make the best decisions possible in those given circumstances. I am noticing that the choices that I make on a daily basis to be healthier are following my mind's desire to be that healthy person. My mind keeps me in line. It helps keep me in control. It is my control. But I had to start with believing in myself. Truly believing that I could acheive my goal. My mind truly believes that I can, and even though I haven't reached goal yet, I KNOW that I will.

How powerful of a role has your mind/positive thinking played in your weight loss journey? I've always heard that "the mind is extremely powerful". I'm seeing that now.
  • Great post, ang! I would add that one of the most important "mind" things I'm learning is to dismiss all or nothing thinking. We don't have to be perfect to achieve weight loss, and one mistake doesn't mean we need to throw our efforts away!
  • I do know that when I started losing weight and being healthier, it was because I decided to, not because I was "hoping" it would work this time. I knew this was it. Now, how that moment happened, I do not know!
  • I agree 100% with you! I think the "magic key" to losing weight, is believing, knowing that you can do it. Every diet I have been on for the past approx 5 years has seriously not made it past about a week. Sad, I know. This time around I committed to it mentally. I decided it was going to work, I was going to do it. Well I'm over 2 weeks in, so I broke my own record already, LOL. There's a quote I like, something to the effect of "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right" Truth.
    Excellent job on your success, your ticker is rockin right along!!
  • i think mindset is really important. but so are behaviors. i do notice that when my mind isn't in the right place, i still force healthy behavior (eating OP and exercising) my mood and mindset will perk right up.

i've never felt worse for having stayed on plan and worked out. ever. but i always feel worse when i eat something crappy and skip working out. always.
  • A HUGE HUGE HUGE roll. I decided when I started losing weight that this was the LAST TIME. That I WOULD do this come **** or high water. That it might SUCK (but really it has not) but I would stick to it. And I did...

and that was 13 months ago. And I have lost 157 pounds... so yes I think your mind has a lot to do with it IF you connect your thoughts to your actions
  • The mind is all there is. Not being mindful is how I got fat. Being mindful is the only way to undo that.
  • Sooooooo true!!
    Quote: Great post, ang! I would add that one of the most important "mind" things I'm learning is to dismiss all or nothing thinking. We don't have to be perfect to achieve weight loss, and one mistake doesn't mean we need to throw our efforts away!
    I cannot express how true this is. This was my biggest downfall. When I had a bad day, I had a bad week or month because I let that one bad day rule. I had to accept that there will be not-so-good days throughout the journey but that I must pick myself up and contine on. I actually had to acknowledge this before I started and tell myself how I would handle it, so that if that day ever came, I would recognize it as such and move on. I've had slips along the way, but they have not lasted long and I kept moving. That's record breaking for me. I agree with you 1,000%!
  • Good point... The mind is very powerful.

I was just thinking about this earlier today... I realized not losing weight isn't even an option for me this time around. I will do it... it's just a matter of time.
  • I yoyo'd for at least the last dozen years, tried all the magic diet teas, and the pills, and the programs, and the shakes. All I lost was a heck of a lot of money. I signed up here a little over a year ago and lurked for almost four months before the lightbulb truly came on - this is my life, and I was going to own it. Real chicks had done it, were doing it, and I was out of excuses.
  • Quote: I agree 100% with you! I think the "magic key" to losing weight, is believing, knowing that you can do it. Every diet I have been on for the past approx 5 years has seriously not made it past about a week. Sad, I know. This time around I committed to it mentally. I decided it was going to work, I was going to do it. Well I'm over 2 weeks in, so I broke my own record already, LOL. There's a quote I like, something to the effect of "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right" Truth.
    Excellent job on your success, your ticker is rockin right along!!
    Another POWERFUL POWERFUL statement! That is the gospel!! LOL! That mental commitment makes all the difference in the world! And thanks for the acknowledgement! I am cruising and I WILL get there and STAY there! I BELIEVE it!
  • Definitely all about the mindset for me. This time I went into it not thinking "diet", but thinking "being healthy." Not just for a few weeks, but for the rest of my life. Eight months later I've lost close to 60 pounds, feel amazing, and have no regrets for saying "no" to the behaviors that got me fat. No going back. Once my mind went to that place, my body just followed.
  • I agree as well. My mind set this time around is completely different. I am thinking of this as a complete life change - not a diet not something new I am just giving it a try to see if it works. It is working and it's a part of my life now.
  • Quote: i think mindset is really important. but so are behaviors. i do notice that when my mind isn't in the right place, i still force healthy behavior (eating OP and exercising) my mood and mindset will perk right up.

i've never felt worse for having stayed on plan and worked out. ever. but i always feel worse when i eat something crappy and skip working out. always.
    I think this is very true also. Sometimes around TOM, I'll have a day scheduled to work out but I won't feel like doing it, but I'll do it anyways and feel better that I did.
  • Quote: A HUGE HUGE HUGE roll. I decided when I started losing weight that this was the LAST TIME. That I WOULD do this come **** or high water. That it might SUCK (but really it has not) but I would stick to it. And I did...

and that was 13 months ago. And I have lost 157 pounds... so yes I think your mind has a lot to do with it IF you connect your thoughts to your actions
    WOOOOOOW! Now THAT'S power! Congratulations on that AMAZING loss!!!