Born Again Christian Support

You're on Page 5 of 14
Go to
  • Week 1: Day 5
    Week 1 Day 5
    Nourished in the Words of Faith
    Day ___________________________ Date ___________________________

On day two, we learned it does not profit us to be occupied by food. The reason we are over weight is that we have become too focused on the food and berating yourself when you can’t control how much you eat. Dieting has not made us less focused but more. We are infatuated with the latest diet fad, and this takes our focus off God the one who truly deserves our devotion.

Read I Timothy 4:1-8 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed. 7 But reject profane and old wives' fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness. 8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.

According to the passage, should we abstain from certain foods such as carbohydrates, meat, and fat? __________________________

God created all foods and we can eat with thanksgiving. God is the same yesterday today and always. I have heard Christians say you should be a vegetarian, because Daniel abstained from the Kings food and only ate grains and veggies. He did that because of Jewish laws, but we are under the new covenant and this passage proves it. The Bible says ALL creatures, which means ALL creatures!

According to I Timothy 4:3 above, how are we to receive the gift of food God has provided? __________________________________________________ _________________________

When you run to the food for comfort and you’re not hungry, you gain weight. What kind of spirits does the Bible say you are listening to when you abstain from certain foods God gave you to enjoy? (Verse 1) __________________________________________________ _____

Look at the line that says nourished in the words of faith. The word nourished is defined as; to promote the growth and development of... Has the circumstance of your being overweight made you feel nourished?

List some of the reasons you turn to food when you’re not hungry.

We run to food because it gives us a feeling of being nurtured and nourished. We think it gives us comfort and love. How do you feel after going on an eating binge? _______
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

Does it feel you have promoted the growth and development of your life in any way? _______ It depresses you and makes you feel ashamed, heartbroken and tired all the time. It makes you down on yourself and gives you a reason for self-abuse. You are going to learn, you’re not a slave to your sin. You have been listening to the greatest liar ever. Satan is the father of all lies.

Once your body stops growing its surprising how little food we need to sustain us. You’ve probably been eating at least twice as much as you need, maybe more.

As mentioned earlier, the dictionary defines nourished as; to promote the growth and development of... the dictionary leaves it blank, so you can fill it in. I always thought nourished had something to do with food. I associated food with comfort. I think we all do.

Review, I Timothy 4:1-8, the Bible says to promote and develop the growth of the spirit by the words of faith. Think about the previous diets you’ve been on; was the focal point what you look like? We have been trying to fix the wrong problem, being preoccupied with how we look. We’ve put the solution to our weight problem on the back burner. The answer is to develop our spirit before any thing else, then all else will right itself. Luke 11:9-13 says, Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.

Every time Jesus healed someone, He was always more concerned about their spiritual condition. Read the following passage.

Mark 2:1-12 And again He entered Capernaum after some days, and it was heard that He was in the house. 2 Immediately many gathered together, so that there was no longer room to receive them, not even near the door. And He preached the word to them. 3 Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. 4 And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying.
    5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven you."
    6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 "Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?"
    8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, "Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, "Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, "Arise, take up your bed and walk'? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"--He said to the paralytic, 11 "I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house." 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, "We never saw anything like this!”

Jesus took care of the paralyzed man’s spiritual need before healing the physical by saying “your sins are forgiven.” Physical healing is important to Jesus but it was secondary to spiritual healing.

Mark 5:34 And He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction.”

When we think of the word peace, we think of peace of mind. The word Shalom, is the Hebrew word for Peace, but it means much more. It means completeness, it means salvation. It means a restored relationship.

Remember we can only nourish our spirit by things of the Spirit. Nourishing our spirit is critical. When our spirit is well nourished, we won’t need to try to fill it with food that doesn’t satisfy.

I Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things.

The Dictionary defines godliness as being devoted to God. God will be taking the pounds off while the spirit’s being filled. The weight will naturally decrease.

If you don’t exercise you will still lose weight, although you may come to a point were you want to, because it will make you feel better but remember it only profits a little so don’t put exercise over your daily devotion.

According to the Word of God what is more profitable physical exercise or spiritual exercise? __________________________________________________ ________________

Write I Timothy 4:8 __________________________________________________ _

The first day of this diet, we're reminded Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. In the same scripture it says do not be occupied with foods. Today we found spiritual well-being is more important than our physical well-being. Do you think you have the confidence in God, the creator and ruler of the universe to know what our bodies need? If you believe, you need to stop doing weird diets, which make you count calories, or have only certain foods in certain combinations at certain times of the day. Trust Jesus He declared all foods clean.

Read the following scriptures, use your own Bible to fill in the blanks.
    Mark 7: 14-20 when He had called all the multitude to Himself, He said to them, “Hear Me, everyone, and understand: 15 There is nothing that enters a man from outside which can defile him; but the things which come out of him, those are the things that defile a man. 16 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear!” 17 When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. 18 “Are you thus without understanding also? 19&20 __________________________________________________ ____
    _______________ 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts. Adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, and evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
    The need or desire is not generated from the food. We don’t need to overeat; it’s the desire form within. The problem with being so preoccupied with how we look, and being obsessed with the physical is, it creates the obsession for dieting and food.

READ: Psalm 1 and 118:8-9

In light of today’s study, what was the scripture or statement in today’s lesson that most spoke to your heart? __________________________________________________ ________

What steps of faith does God want you to take towards Him today? ____________________

Rephrase the scripture or statement into an expression of faith_________________________

Isaiah 55:9 __________________________________________________ _______________
  • The part of the lesson for me today, was one of the Scriptures in the daily reading,

Psalm 1: 3 He shall be like a tree
    Planted by the rivers of water,
    That brings forth its fruit in its season,
    Whose leaf also shall not wither;
    And whatever he does shall prosper.

I was going along great for the longest time, and suddenly when I started to post the study, I started feeling I was becoming out of control again... I realize now it's because I could see God working and using the study so I felt I had to be in control again, so I would resist eating instead of giving it to God, and then it started to scare me, then I started trying to manipulate my weightloss... anyway, I need to remember confusion is not from God, all things in His time. I will fall into His arms and relax. It's weird evertime I ask God what's going on all of a sudden a scripture pops in my head.

Luke 22:30-3231 And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

While I have been writing this that song came on the radio. "God's not finished with me yet" the chorus goes like this.

There is hope for me yet
    Because God won’t forget
    All the plans he’s made for me
    I have to wait and see
    He’s not finished with me yet

Still wondering why I’m here
    Still wrestling with my fear
    But oh, He’s up to something
    And the farther on I go
    I’ve seen enough to know
    That I’m, not here for nothing
    He’s up to something.

HE IS SO GOOD!

Trish, and Ryann, I don't know if it will help, but I would sometimes get that weak feeling, and I prayed about it and Jesus told me it was my body having to work harder to use the fat storage because it was out of calories...

Of course you need to do what God and your doctor tell you. But ask Him, He will give you wisdom. I don't have those feelings anymore, but I know when our bodies are addicted to stuff the flesh fights for it. But please don't think I am saying don't go to your doctor. Yours may be a totally different feeling. I know when my thin daughter doesn't always get the hunger pains, what she gets when she is hungry is really hot and weak feeling. maybe you are like I was and hadn't felt hunger for so long I forgot what it felt like???

Well I have to run, running late for work ~again

Love, Kelli
  • Eating with Thanksgiving:
    I pray before I eat, and well, I just got to thinking, most time it's just "lip service". We have been really telling God lately that we are thankful. Sometimes it's easy for me to tell Him that I am thankful for clothes and money, but I get embarrassed to really get excited and thank Him for the food that He has given us for the nourishment of our bodies. I have had such a LUST/HATE relationship with food for soooo long. Like the woman in the Bible who had been afflicted by the devil for 18 years, and she had a curvature of the spine and couldn't even stand up straight, I am ready to give up things that have afflicted me for years. I let go of what lies behind and press forward to what lies ahead. The flesh was lusting after food, but I am a new creation and I no longer do that. I am well balanced in every area of my life. I don't hate the food, God made food for us to use as our daily nourishment for our bodies.
    I am not going to despise what God has given me.
    Last week we were down to just a little food left in the cupboards, it could have lasted us a week or two, but we were down to rice and beans, peanut butter and jelly, stirfry and shrimp, (which we had already eaten so much of that it was getting redundant), and some potatoes and oranges. I was lusting after food that wasn't in the house. Then I realized I wasn't being content with whatever state I was in, and was despising what food God had provided for us. I apologized to Him and settled myself to be content with what was in the house, just thanking God that we did have food.
    We forget sometimes that He is our Provider and He does provide well for us.
    I decide today, that when I eat, I will be thankful, whether I am abounding or abased. Therefore whatever state I am in I decide to be content.
  • I have been thinking about the fact that Jesus said all food is clean. Several years ago, I was told that I couldn't eat gluten, but not much was known about it and it seemed like too much trouble so I forgot about it. Oh it would cross my mind from time to time, but not seriously considered it. Recently I've seen and heard a lot about it so I looked it up. I definitely have a gluten intolerance. I share this to share an experience I had recently when grocery shopping.

I was in the grocery store and looking for bread. I suddenly I saw gluten free bread. It impressed me so that I picked it up and looked at the calorie and fiber count, but it was more calories and less fiber than the bread I usually buy which is whole wheat 40 calorie 5g fiber per slice. I kept thinking that I needed to go back and buy the gluten free bread instead of what I bought. Now after some research I've done, I am confident that God was leading me to switch to gluten free foods. He has been leading me to eat a certain way and I have to admit that I have not been following Him. I'm sorry to say that I did not obey Him. I never went back and got it. Even saw gluten free foods in other places and passed them up. While I don't overeat or have cravings any more, I'm not eating the right foods for my body.

I was really searching for Tony because of how he has been feeling and the doctors cannot find what is wrong with him. When I read the symptoms of Gluten Intolerance, I found that the Health Practitioner that I went to years ago was right. Since I have prayed for God to teach me how to eat, I now realize that He was trying to show me what is wrong and that my body cannot handle certain grains which includes wheat are damaging my body. Which is why God was telling me not to eat it.

There are certain foods that I have not wanted to give up. But I'm beginning to see how those foods which I thought gave me comfort are the very foods that could steal my health and even my life from me.

I am so thankful to God for loving me so much that He did not give up on me. I read that when I start eating right the body even heals itself. Sure proves what Paul said in 1Co 6:12 CEV translation to be true. He said "Some of you say, 'We can do anything we want to.' But I tell you that not everything is good for us". In fact, it may be lawful for me to eat what ever I want of those foods with Gluten, but it is also harmful to my body.

I have been praying for God to show me how to eat "healthy" for my body. I felt He was the only One who knows exactly what I need to be healthy since He is the One who created my body. So I will eat the way the Lord has been trying to show me that I need to eat so I can be healthy. And as you said Ryanne, I will do it with Thanksgiving. I am going to do my best NOT to complain about what I cannot have and seek to Thankfully Rejoice for what I CAN have remembering that God has shown me how to eat so I can be happy because I will feel good, be clear minded and healthy.
    Thank God He did not leave me to die in my sin.

Ryanne I guess I am making the same decision as you today, that when I eat, I will be thankful, whether I am abounding or abased. Therefore whatever state I am in I decide to be content. It is my choice, I will pick foods I like from what is allowed and enjoy it and be thankful for it.

Quote:
    maybe you are like I was and hadn't felt hunger for so long I forgot what it felt like???
    Kellie Psalm 1:3 is one of my favorite scriptures and love the word to the song. Yes I agree with you. When I started eating IE way of eating, I had a hard time recognizing the difference in "true" hunger and "mouth" hunger... did just think I wanted something to eat or just wanted the taste of a certain food. I found times that I would stand at the fridge or panty wanting something, but didn't know what. Finally decided that I wanted something but couldn't put a name of food to it that I wasn't really hungry.

GOD IS SO GOOD!!! And I appreciate each one of you.

Have a good evening. Catch you later.
  • I am pondering this today...
    Quote: Trish, and Ryann, I don't know if it will help, but I would sometimes get that weak feeling, and I prayed about it and Jesus told me it was my body having to work harder to use the fat storage because it was out of calories...

Of course you need to do what God and your doctor tell you. But ask Him, He will give you wisdom. I don't have those feelings anymore, but I know when our bodies are addicted to stuff the flesh fights for it. But please don't think I am saying don't go to your doctor. Yours may be a totally different feeling. I know when my thin daughter doesn't always get the hunger pains, what she gets when she is hungry is really hot and weak feeling. maybe you are like I was and hadn't felt hunger for so long I forgot what it felt like???

Love, Kelli
    You know, Kelli, I know what hunger is, and you may be right about this being the body's usage of stored fat. If it is, I will stop fearing it. Usually when this happens I try to get food in me as fast as I can because I feel like I may faint. I'm going to pray about this. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring what you were saying...I have been pondering it since I read it...just something that needs some prayer.
    Thank you, Kelli.
    Trish, I think a person could do well on a gluten free diet, there are many products available that don't have gluten. I have kind of looked into it, but not much. I'm sorry that when you talk about Tony, I don't know who that is, but does that person have Celiac disease? Anyway, I'd be interested to know the benefits you get from eating this way. I have some gut problems, but God is not leading me to eat that way, even though I have looked into it.
    But let me know how your symptoms change and if you feel healthier.
    Right now, I feel I need to seek God in prayer, so I will talk to you all later. Have a good evening.
    It is raining so much here. I'll bet Bootsie is getting some of this down in Texas...I know that OKC had this storm earlier.
    Anyway, have a good evening. I'll be on later.
  • I'm back to post...
    I just got in some "confusion" about what to eat and how to eat and needed to pray about it. Like I said, I have so much knowledge about nutrition that sometimes it can be confusing when you are living in liberty. I feel that the basic concept of the way we eat is right. Basically here is what the plan is for "Me and My Family". I have already shared some of the health things I have going on, and my daughter also has some health problems and we are believing God for the manifestation of our healing, since "by His stripes we WERE and are healed."
    Anyway, I do watch sat. fats, too much salt and too much sugar. I eat when I am hungry for breakfast and lunch, sometimes skipping one or both, I have decided I am doing a permanent fast of snacking between meals and not eating when I am not hungry, except for supper, which we sit down as a family and eat together, and feast days (Birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years and Easter, Anniversary and maybe a special occasion here or there). I will drink enough liquids to stay hydrated. We eat desserts 2x per week. I exercise (whatever I choose) at least 30 minutes at least 6 days per week.
    I have decided that if I do go through what we talked about, the dizziness, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. If I eat, I eat...I will be led by the Holy Spirit.
    I believe that educating myself about nutrition has been good because I think that we should have basic nutritional knowledge, especially if we do have growing children or health issues.
    I'm sorry for rambling, it's just I got into some confusion and had to get it straightened out, because I refuse to be obsessed with this and want to keep my mind stayed on the Lord and not about what I should or shouldn't be eating.
    I know that I know that there are certain foods I KNOW that I should abstain from just for my body's sake. Just as there are certain things I avoid for the glory of God, like alcohol.
    This post is mainly for me, as I sought God and my husband's advice so I am not constantly second guessing myself.
  • I think this study is one you need to pray and ask God if it applies to you. It is what I prayed about and it applied to Mylissa and I. I think what is cool is we are all asking God to be our Diet guide, and look what He is teaching you about your own bodies!!

The only thing I feel real strong about is, we shouldn't get caught up in the whole "dieting" scenario and spend too much time and energy on the content of the food and become legalistic.

Ryann, I think you deciding to fast snacking between meals forever... hum... I just hope if you don't follow this perfectly, you don't get discouraged with it and feel like you have failed. Those snacks my become a forbidden fruit for you. But of course you have to do what God tells you to do.

You guys have a wonderful evening.

Love, Kelli
  • I think that we have been under attack as far as what to eat is concerned...
    Quote: I think what is cool is we are all asking God to be our Diet guide, and look what He is teaching you about your own bodies!!

The only thing I feel real strong about is, we shouldn't get caught up in the whole "dieting" scenario and spend too much time and energy on the content of the food and become legalistic.

Ryann, I think you deciding to fast snacking between meals forever... hum... I just hope if you don't follow this perfectly, you don't get discouraged with it and feel like you have failed. Those snacks my become a forbidden fruit for you. But of course you have to do what God tells you to do.
    It seems that Bootsie, Trish and I have all been attacked in the area of "what to eat"...but it is good, because I realized that I am doing what I believe is what God would have me to do for me and my family. I had some other things going on today that just seemed too much to carry, and thank God that we can give Him all of our concerns and know He is in control! So, anyway, I think I had a weak point that Satan just kind of honed in on.
    I agree, it's not about that Kelli, but it was just something that I got caught up with today.
    Yes, Kelli, I do believe that we should not be snacking, financially and because of a problem my daughter has health wise, she is not able to, and we have been fasting that, and now I don't really care about snacking...but ya, I agree to not be legalistic about it.
    The whole family has agreed we will all eat the same way, and if one cannot have then we will all be supportive and eat the same way so one does not have to go it alone.
    We are united and we will all eat the same way.
    Today has been a trying day and I am not feeling very well today, so I am gonna call it a night.
    Until tomorrow, God Bless You All.
  • Ryanne Tony is my husband. No I don't think he has Celiac Disease, but I'm thinking that he is probably gluten intolerant as I am. We both have a lot of the symptoms. I don't know if he will try to be tested for it or we will just avoid the foods that have gluten in it. I have thought for a long time that I might not should eat wheat, but I wanted to get my grains. Now I'm thinking that this may be the reason I haven't been able to lose weight. I read someone's writing somewhere else on 3fc who said that when she quit eating wheat that she lost 4 lbs almost immediately.

Kellie Although I feel there are foods I do need to avoid due to gluten, I agree with you about being caught up in diets. Besides there are many things that the diet does allow that I know that I just cannot handle. I think I mentioned before that Tony like to munch on chips. He keeps a bag on hand and he doesn't have any problem eating a few and then putting away the bag. I don't like regular chips, but they are his favorite. I have to admit that love Ruffles and could eat the whole bag full in one setting. Therefore, I no longer bring Ruffles in the house. I never get tempted to eat the regular ones because I don't like the texture. That said I know what I can buy and what I cannot.

I hope Bootsie is able to get to us soon.

Night ladies.
  • Kelli you are so right, I have noticed Jesus leading each one of us in the direction he wants us to follow. Is that not Amazing! He knows us better than we know ourselves. That just proves to me, he is there guiding us on our road to victory we need to listen to what our bodies are telling us because he made each one of us different and unique and do what is best for our body and our soul. You know i don't want to look like no Beauty Queen, HA! I am 56 years old fixing to be 57 ,all this dear old Texan wants is to be healthy and to have a beautiful heart for Jesus. Does that make sense?

It is suppose to rain in the morning, hope our back tank fills up this time.

• Quote: Kelli you are so right, I have noticed Jesus leading each one of us in the direction he wants us to follow. Is that not Amazing! He knows us better than we know ourselves. That just proves to me, he is there guiding us on our road to victory we need to listen to what our bodies are telling us because he made each one of us different and unique and do what is best for our body and our soul. You know i don't want to look like no Beauty Queen, HA! I am 56 years old fixing to be 57 ,all this dear old Texan wants is to be healthy and to have a beautiful heart for Jesus. Does that make sense?

It is suppose to rain in the morning, hope our back tank fills up this time.
    Bootsie Decided to check one more time before I go to bed. So glad you made it here. Thought of you all day. Beautifully said. That is my desire as well. To be healthy and have a beautiful heart for Jesus and to fulfill the plan He has planned for my life. When is your sweetie taking you to see the Grandbaby?
  • Week 2: Day 1
    Week 2 Day 1
    A Change of Heart, a New Creation
    Day ___________________________ Date ___________________________

Even though I had been a Christian a long time, and reading my Bible almost everyday. I never thought to go to the Bible to resolve my weight problem. I didn’t consider it a diet guide. I would pray, asking God to help me with a particular diet, but I never thought of the Bible as the starting place. However, the more I read the Bible the more I realized it is a rich source of knowledge and insight for every known problem. The word is our guide for living every aspect or our life. This ancient document is just as practical today as it was six thousand years ago, Solomon wrote:

Ecclesiastes 1:9, 10 That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun. 10 Is there anything of which it may be said, "See, this is new"? It has already been in ancient times before us.

Read Psalm 118:8-9
    It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man, 9It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in princes.

Who should you put your confidence about losing weight in? ______ Read Colossians 2: 20-23 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

This scripture nails it; it’s exactly what we have been doing with our frantic dieting. Why are we living as if we don’t have all this knowledge and wisdom at our fingertips?

It’s not a food issue; it’s a head and heart problem. If there weren’t a consequence for overeating, we wouldn’t have difficulty in resisting it. It wouldn’t be forbidden. An addict is someone who can’t get enough; they want more, and more. How many people do you know who are addicted to water? We are rebellious. I don’t have a problem with praying to God for help finding my keys, yet somehow I always conveniently forget to pray for help in resisting the temptation to eat the last of my Mucho Grande Over Stuffed Big Fat Burrito.

In a recent study done in Switzerland. The participants were blindfolded while eating. They ate less and felt just as full. It was determined; when they couldn’t see what they were eating, they paid more attention to their inner cues.

The desire for forbidden fruit is our real problem. I read a story in my little daily devotional, “Our Daily Bread.” The title was forbidden fruit. It was about a resort hotel in Texas, they had a sign in each room saying “No fishing off the balcony.” Yet every day the hotel guests would throw their line into the water. When the management decided to just give up and remove the signs, the fishing stopped. We are a defiant people and need to have a heart transformation, if we are ever going to be successful at losing weight and the only way to have a heart or thought transformation is through the power of the most High God.
    Let me ask you a question. Have you felt any of the diets you’ve tried before with all their rules and regulation worked on changing your heart?

Do you think your problem could be you have been trying to change the food and not your mind/heart? _________________

In other words none of these diets did anything to help you battle against the indulgences of the flesh.

The way to change your mind is easy. You are in the habit of thinking negatively and you need to break that habit. You have to get up every morning and say I am a beautiful creation of the almighty God. Look at yourself in the mirror and say I'm beautiful, thank you God for giving me such a fine-looking body. Every part of my body works so well.

If you are going to be successful with this or any other part of your life, you have to be nice to yourself. Even if you don’t feel like you are beautiful, DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO THINK THAT! You must, must get rid of all negative thoughts, start getting in the habit of complimenting yourself. You take yourself everywhere you go; you might as well enjoy it. Read Philemon 1:6 That the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

Rewrite the previous scripture in your own words. __________________________________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

The verse says, "Every good thing in you is in Christ". God does not want you walking around thinking negatively about yourself. You can’t share your faith effectively, unless you acknowledge God has created you for good things, that you are good in Christ. You can’t be effective in sharing your faith if you have not acknowledged how wonderful God has made you!

Read, II Corinthians: 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

When you turned your heart over to Jesus and gave him lordship of your heart, you died to your will and the world’s rules and became a new creation in Christ.

Read Galatians 5:22,23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I used to read this scripture and think, I have joy, peace, longsuffering… but when I came to the self-control fruit, I would think, Someday God would give me that gift. I believed a deception, and one day it dawned on me. I already have all the fruits of the Spirit. I received them when I asked God into my heart. We automatically get the fruits when we get saved, it’s part of the package. I realized I had been listening to that bully Satan. You have to understand that Satan is a liar. He is the accuser of the brethren

Read Revelation 12:10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down.

Read about what Jesus said about Satan when the Pharisees were trying to trip Him up with lies. John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

Satan lies to you and tries to make you feel condemned, don’t receive the accusations. Say, a scripture like “I am the righteousness of God” You will make mistakes, allow yourself that.

Read Romans 7 *Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man.

God opened my eyes to this passage one day, I had read it many times in the past and even heard it used in sermons, and they were all about condemning the sinful divorcé, but that is not what this scripture is telling us. It is using the adulteress and widow as an illustration of our death to the law. The Law no longer binds us; in fact, the law is what creates the desire to sin.

I am telling you completely give up dieting. Completely give up condemning your self for overeating. I know this is a scary concept, just to give it up and not be in control, but trying so hard to stop dieting has created the addiction. The more people try to diet, the fatter they get. Being overweight doesn't mean you are weaker than thin folks are, it just means you have tried harder to lose weight. Don’t believe me? Continue reading Romans 7 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, THE SINFUL PASSIONS WHICH WERE AROUSED BY THE LAW were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am!

Even Paul struggled with sin, we tend to think of him as “Saint Paul”, but he was a sinner saved by grace just like you and me. He goes through his list of sins in frustration with himself, then just as it seems he will be lost to hopelessness of ever recovering he ask in the last part of verse 24, Who will deliver me from this body of death? Ah… then he remembers, 25I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

It’s a little hard to understand these verses in the New King James version; I like how the Message interprets it. The Message version was translated from the original ancient Greek in today’s English rhythms and idioms.

1-3 You shouldn't have any trouble understanding this, friends, for you know all the ins and outs of the law—how it works and how its power touches only the living. For instance, a wife is legally tied to her husband while he lives, but if he dies, she's free. If she lives with another man while her husband is living, she's obviously an adulteress. But if he dies, she is quite free to marry another man in good conscience, with no one's disapproval.

4-6 So, my friends, this is something like what has taken place with you. When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to "marry" a resurrection life and bear "offspring" of faith for God. For as long as we lived that old way of life, doing whatever we felt we could get away with, sin was calling most of the shots as the old law code hemmed us in. And this made us all the more rebellious. In the end, all we had to show for it was miscarriages and stillbirths. But now that we're no longer shackled to that domineering mate of sin, and out from under all those oppressive regulations and fine print, we're free to live a new life in the freedom of God.
    7 But I can hear you say, "If the law code was as bad as all that, it's no better than sin itself." That's certainly not true. The law code had a perfectly legitimate function. Without its clear guidelines for right and wrong, moral behavior would be mostly guesswork. Apart from the succinct, surgical command, "You shall not covet," I could have dressed covetousness up to look like a virtue and ruined my life with it.
    8-12 Don't you remember how it was? I do, perfectly well. The law code started out as an excellent piece of work. What happened, though, was that sin found a way to pervert the command into a temptation, making a piece of "forbidden fruit" out of it. The law code, instead of being used to guide me, was used to seduce me. Without all the paraphernalia of the law code, sin looked pretty dull and lifeless, and I went along without paying much attention to it. But once sin got its hands on the law code and decked itself out in all that finery, I was fooled, and fell for it. The very command that was supposed to guide me into life was cleverly used to trip me up, throwing me headlong. So sin was plenty alive, and I was stone dead. But the law code itself is God's good and common sense, each command sane and holy counsel.
    13 I can already hear your next question: "Does that mean I can't even trust what is good [that is, the law]? Is good just as dangerous as evil?" No again! Sin simply did what sin is so famous for doing: using the good as a cover to tempt me to do what would finally destroy me. By hiding within God's good commandment, sin did far more mischief than it could ever have accomplished on its own.

14-16 I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.
    17-20 But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.
    21-23 It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.
    24 I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
    25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.

The real mistake comes when you let Satan condemn you and keep you down there. Get back up, praise Jesus for this freedom, ask Him for forgiveness, and He will forgive you. Jesus never condemns you. He may show you where you are sinning so you can cry out to Him and ask for help, he doesn’t condemn. The dictionary defines the word condemn as, "To pronounce unfit for use".

Read how the King James Version interprets it.
    Romans 7:8 (KJV) * *8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. ([from dictionary.com]desire, (R.V., "coveting"); Col. 3:5 (R.V., "desire"). The "lust of concupiscence" denotes evil desire, indwelling sin.) For without the law sin was dead. **11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
    So what causes the compulsion to overeat? ************______________________________________ _
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

The sin is not just overeating; it’s also worrying about overeating or about being thin. Its sin to overeat and it’s also a sin to worry so much about your overeating. When we obsess about looking or being a certain way and don’t trust God and His timing we become obsessed with the thing that takes up so much of our thought life. God wants you to be thin, but He also wants you to learn from being overweight.

We need to let it go, and here is how you do that. Every time you eat and even when you are thinking about eating, you need to pray. Ask God to help you to stop eating when you are full. Ask Him to help you recognize fullness, and ask Him to help you stop when you are satisfied, then, and this is the hard part, die to your will.

Romans 8:36-39 As it is written: “ For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

What does the phrase “die to your will” mean to you? ________________________________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

I Corinthians 6:12, 13 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.
    And
    I Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.

Read John 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Read Colossians 2: 20-22 again, Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men?
    How many diets have you been on that didn’t parish with use? When you first start a diet, you are filled with hope. You have faith knowing this is the one. Then about three weeks into it or so, you give up. You need to keep up the positive thoughts going. Keep saying to yourself, I am a new creation, that old person is dead. I am strong in Christ Jesus. When you were born again you received the fruits of the Spirit, one of those fruits are, self-control. You need to have faith that you received it. Say I have self-control and say it to yourself often. Put up little sticky notes to remind you to say it. Instead of being occupied with the diet and what you eat, be occupied with the goodness God has placed in you.

Philemon 1:6 That the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

It is so sad that in the United States, people are more occupied with diets and thinness than ever before and we have never been fatter. As I mentioned earlier, one diet says eat carbohydrates (sugar) and very little fat and another diet declares, eat only Protein (fat) and very little sugar. Another diet says, only eat fat and carbohydrates in certain combinations and certain times a day (Talk about being occupied) all of these diets have Doctors and experts who can, and will substantiate their claims with an appearance of wisdom. God is not the author of confusion!

I Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

Jesus doesn’t want us to be burdened by all these rules. That’s why Jesus died so we don’t need to live by laws and regulations. In reality, all these laws do is make us more engrossed on the forbidden like the people at the resort who fished off the balcony.

Review Colossians 2:23, The last part of this passage holds the real key 23These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.
    In your own words, express what the preceding three passages mean to you. _____________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

All of these rules and regulations are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh. Consider the diets you have been on, have any of these "man-made" rules made you desire less food? __________________________________________________ ________________

They all have an appearance of wisdom; however, they do little to change the heart. All they do is cover up the problem they don’t heal the wound.

We have tried all the world has to offer; now it’s time to turn to Jesus. He is the only one who can transform you and heal your wounded heart.

Read Matthew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." We are heavy laden by all the rules and regulation of dieting. In Jesus, we can have rest from the burden.
    Notice Jesus doesn’t say learn about me, He says learn from me. That suggests a relationship. In your own words, write what the phrase, “learn from me” means to you. ____ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

How has your being overweight made you feel Punished? ____________________________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Let’s see what Bible has to say about this old sinful nature.

Read Romans 6:1-23 1What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord

Do you feel like a slave to overeating and your weight? ______
    When I was overweight I didn’t want to go any were or do anything, nothing fit right, I felt like people were thinking bad things about me.

Being a slave to sin brings death, and always leads to bad things Being a slave to God always leads to good things, Sin equals: fat, self hate, fights, by contrast Righteousness equals: being thin, healthy, self love, love of others, etc. When sin has control over you, it affects your life and the life of your family, you want to stop but you can’t. You are a spiritual slave to it. Those who are without Christ are slaves to sin, but we who are believers in Christ are free from this bondage. Because Jesus has set us free. When you are following Christ and doing His will, you feel full of vitality. Everything feels light and clean and the whole world seems so much better. You have to receive this in faith.

Fill in the following blanks with the words me and I. Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over _____, for ____ am not under law but under grace.
    You are free from sin it does not have power over you. The Bible says you are in control you can make a decision. I am sorry to say I use “I Can’t” and I have the power and authority to say, “I will”. Say the preceding scripture to yourself and Satan, whenever you feel helpless to resist his lies.

John 8:36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
    This scripture says we are free, yet we still hold on to the chains that used to bind us. The lock is broken but we are holding the chains together because Satan has us convinced we are still bound by them. He is a liar, but, we are not blameless, we allow him to convince us with a lie, because it gives us great excuses. Jesus makes it clear, we are without an excuse, He has set us free. Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

When you seek to gratify your own desire we become a spiritual two year old, you want what you want, when you want it! You are being prideful you don’t want to submit to Gods plan for your life.

We fight against this nature all the time but there is a right and a wrong way to fight. It’s only through faith we can be set free from this bondage and become a new creation in Christ, its not rules its power.

Luke 9:23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

When baptized unto Christ, it symbolizes the old man dieing to self and arising as a new creation. There are many scripture references on the new man, read the ones I have listed pray, spend time in quiet meditation with God ask what He wants to show you.
    READ: Romans 8, II Corinthians 5:17 and Colossians 3:10-17

In light of today’s study, what was the scripture or statement in today’s lesson that most spoke to your heart? __________________________________________________ ________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

What steps of faith does God want you to take towards Him today? ____________________

Rephrase the scripture or statement into an expression of faith_________________________

I Corinthians 10: 31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
  • There is so much wisdom in the study today...
    ...that so many things are speaking to me. I will be coming back to this lesson today, God willing, and will ponder it throughout the day.
    I read something by Joyce Meyer today, in her daily devotional, and I would like to paste it here. I hope it will bless you all as it did me.

Worship Is Wisdom
    October 9

The reverent fear and worship of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.
    — Psalm 111:10

If you will read the book of Proverbs and look at all the radical promises that are made to the person who walks in wisdom, and then realize that reverence and worship are the beginning of wisdom, you will quickly see why reverence and worship are so important.

The Bible says that those who walk in wisdom will be wealthy. They will live a long life. They will be exceedingly happy. They will be blessed, so blessed that they will be envied (See Proverbs 3:1-18). But there is no such thing as wisdom without worship.

Many people today are seeking knowledge, and knowledge is good, but wisdom is better. Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. Knowledge without wisdom can cause one to be puffed up, or filled with pride, which will ultimately ruin his life. A wise person will always be knowledgeable, but not all knowledgeable people are wise. I believe that in our society today, we exalt knowledge more than we should. Education seems to be most people's main goal, and yet our world today is rapidly declining morally.

Education is good, but it is not better than wisdom. God's Word tells us to cry out for wisdom; seek it as we would silver and gold; make it a vital necessity in life. There is nothing more important than wisdom, and the beginning of it is reverence and worship. The worshiper will be taught wisdom by God.

From the book New Day, New You: 365 Devotions for Enjoying Everyday Life by Joyce Meyer. Copyright © 2007 by Joyce Meyer. Published by FaithWords. All rights reserved.

• Good Morning,

Ryann, I love Joyce Meyer, I have some of her books too. Every time I watch her on TV, I laugh out loud. She not only has so much wisdom, but her delivery makes her so fun to listen to her. Last time I watched her on TV, she was at a conference and doing an alter call. Thousands of people walked down the isle to receive Christ. I was so overcome with gratitude for all those God was bringing into the family, I just bawled. Thank you for posting that .

Quote:
    Being overweight doesn't mean you are weaker than thin folks are, it just means you have tried harder to lose weight. Don’t believe me? Continue reading Romans 7 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, THE SINFUL PASSIONS WHICH WERE AROUSED BY THE LAW were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
    When I first wrote today's lesson, the verse above (esp the bold) was a real revelation for me. I had the realization that my trying so hard to resist temptation was what was causing the obsession. My resisting the foods I loved is what was making me fat!!!

That I was free of condemnation, and guilt, amazed me. I grew up Mormon, and not saying this is how it is with all LDS folks, but my mom (I love her) controlled us nine kids with guilt. So most of my life my gasoline was guilt. This lesson is so long because God was really dealing with many issues (and still is).

Quote:
    8-12 Don't you remember how it was? I do, perfectly well. The law code started out as an excellent piece of work. What happened, though, was that sin found a way to pervert the command into a temptation, making a piece of "forbidden fruit" out of it. The law code, instead of being used to guide me, was used to seduce me. Without all the paraphernalia of the law code, sin looked pretty dull and lifeless, and I went along without paying much attention to it. But once sin got its hands on the law code and decked itself out in all that finery, I was fooled, and fell for it.
    Seriously when I don't resist and just the resist the temptation not to pray and ask for help, it is just no big deal to give it up.

Quote:
    my friends, this is something like what has taken place with you. When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to "marry" a resurrection life and bear "offspring" of faith for God. For as long as we lived that old way of life, doing whatever we felt we could get away with, sin was calling most of the shots as the old law code hemmed us in. And this made us all the more rebellious.
    I am still struggling with just giving it over to God and forgetting it!!! I want to think back on what I have eaten to make sure it wasn't too much or the right kind of stuff... AAARRRGGG!

Ryann, I know you are going through tough times, and I am amazed that you just keep seeking and seeing the good that God brings. You are an ispiration to me and God is not only using you now to help us and others, but I just know He will use your lifes story in a way that will inspire many.

AAARRRGGG! again, I don't have enough time to talk about Bootsies and Trish's posts, that they posted last night, but I will be back later, have a wonderful day ladies!

Love, Kelli
  • Hi Everyone,

I for one never thought about God wanting to be a part of my weight loss plan. For some reason, I saw dieting separate from that part of my life. However, many times when I would start a new diet, I would really pray that God would let this new diet work for me. I was always asking Him to lead me to a diet that would work, but I didn't ask Him to show me what to eat except for one time.

I had heard of a woman who lost weight because she asked the Lord to show what to eat. I decided to "try" this, but back at that time I don't think I thought He even told me anything. I don't think I was ready to even listen to the Lord.

Quote:
    Do you think your problem could be, you have been trying to change the food and not your mind/heart?
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I never thought of needing to change my heart/mind concerning food. When we were born again, we learned that we were to repent of our sins. We learned that repent means to change our mind or way of thinking to God's way of thinking about the way we live. I really have to wonder why we didn't know this applied to our way eating and thoughts about food as well?

It really is difficult to think that way when "every" function in church has food around it. Our church serves pastry food before breakfast with coffee. There is coffee and pastrys for everyone at Bible Study and it goes on and on. In the church I was in back in TX, we had a big dinner after church one Sunday every month to celebrate the birthdays of everyone that month. Our Friday morning Bible study always ended with a big meal. Why would anyone think God wanted to have anything to do with what we ate when we make it the center of our gatherings.

Even my neighborhood get togethers are based around food. Then you add all the commercials. Not only do they advertise what they want to sell you to eat, they turn around and advertise a diet you should start. I mean everywhere you go, it is food, food, and more food.

I am so grateful to learn that God really does care about what, when and how much I eat. He loves me that much. Who knew that when we became a New Creature in Christ and made Jesus Lord of our lives, that He wanted to be Lord of our food too.

I appreciate the scripture 2 Corinthians 5:17 "old things have passed away: behold all things have become new". We no longer had to do the old things we used to do; we are now free to do things in a "new" way which is God's Way. We received the all the Fruit of the Spirit when we were born again? I'm not sure I was aware of that. I remember thinking I need self-control. I wasn't aware that I had it.

Reading this lesson made me realize how unwise it is for a Christian to go to the world for answers for diets. Just think of how many diets there are and they are all so confusing. Everyone of them have the "secret" to losing weight. Stop and think about that. How can "everyone" have "the secret". Yes, I do believe there may be times when we should eat a certain way for health reasons, such when you are allergic to certain foods etc. But I don't think a book can tell everyone the "one" secret to losing weight. The fact that there are sooooo many diets out there is a good example of how deception works to keep us confused and searching for the next diet "secret".

I am so thankful that the Lord does care about my weight loss and my health and that He does know my body better than any one else, even me. So who better to lead guide and direct me when it comes to eating. I realize now that He has been telling me for a long time how I should eat, but I actually thought it was "my" idea. I think that is the hard part for me is knowing when it is really the Lord speaking to me. I think that is because of my low self esteem. I need to trust Him more when He speaks to me.

Sorry, I feel like I've roamed here. Perhaps it was me just thinking things out for myself.

Blessings to all.