0g of Sugar but lists sugar as an ingredient. Legal?

• I originally posted this in Frequently Asked Questions so I apologize for the repost. I'm assuming I posted in the wrong forum then since I'm still stumped.

If something contains 0g of sugar in a serving but lists sugar as an ingredient, is it Sugar Busters' legal? I picked up some dried seaweed and didn't notice the extra ingredients until I got home. Ingredients are: seaweed, soy sauce (water, soybeans, wheat, salt), sugar, salt, sweet sake, and chili peppers. And what about the Wheat in the soy sauce? Is that off limits?

And I have a new question. I've noticed a lot of forum talk about it being okay to eat things that have less than 3g of sugar in a serving. I don't remember this anywhere in the book, The New Sugar Busters. Did I miss something?

thx, new to all of this
  • I am not sure where the 3 gram rule came from, but it was pretty standard when the SB diet was popular. If something has 0 grams of sugar per serving, it is ok for Sugar Busters. In the ingredients listed, sugar is down far enough as to not be too much a percentage of the whole. Wheat in soy sauce is ok, unless you are gluten sensitive. It is fermented when brewed, and not a starch, which is what causes blood sugar to rise. I hope this helps.
  • Thanks so much! Very helpful indeed.

kira
  • I have a related question... Kind of the opposite. I have edemame at home in the freezer. It is a box of little pre-packaged frozen pouches. They are great to take on the road then add a little vinigar and olive oil. I just figured they were fine, but then I looked at the box and it says 5 grams of sugar.... there is no sauce... just straight edemame? This is very confusing to me?