No Fat Chicks - Exercise tips for overweight beginners

You're on Page 2 of 5
Go to
  • I just joined 3FC forums and I'm happy to have found this thread! I enjoyed the article and I am starting to work with a trainer tomorrow (joined the gym today). I will keep the advice in the article in mind when I go! Thanks!

Gina
  • I just printed this ~ thanks!
  • Great link. I especially like the gradual increase shown in the 12-week 'program'.
  • Many Thanks for sharing this article/ website.
    I think I will find not only a lot of new ideas, but also how to implement more exercise gradually and safely.

Thanks!
  • that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?
  • Great Post thanks Nellie
  • thanks so much for this site I was really wondering where i would start from and think i'm gonna use this starter program and see how it works i think i can handle 2 or 3 days of working out and start off easy then work my way to longer workouts and more days..Thanks Again for this!!!
  • Great article thank you! I've been finding the cardio in my workouts really tough, but have been reluctant to do more weight training. Not anymore!
  • Thank you for sharing
  • Quote: that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?
    I know this is an old post but I'm responding for anyone thinking the same or for the OP if they are still around.

My motivation is the scales and seeing myself improve. I love food and would find it hard to have any weight loss if I didn't exercise. I also set mini targets that I'm enjoying beating. For instance when I started walking to the local supermarket instead of using the car, it took half an hour just to get there using the "easy" (flatter hills) route. 5 weeks later and I can get there and back in that time!
  • soo helpful!!!
  • Quote: Stumptuous.com is a great site with lots of info but there was an article posted titled "No Fat Chicks" on it.

The article basically says that most exercise isn't meant for overweight beginners. It has some advice and a beginning workout plan.

If you don't know where to start, it is a great place to start. Even if you aren't overweight, it has some really good tips and Stumptuous.com definitely deserves to be read by anyone interested in fitness.

I know I'm responding to an old post, but the information in the article is right on. I am 65 years old and overweight. When I started my exercise program in January I was walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes at 1.5 mph. I did this for a couple weeks, then added the elliptical for 4 minutes. I was sweating when I finished my "workout". As time went on, I found that I could go longer and longer, adding a minute each day or so, and also increasing my intensity. After reaching a total of 30 min each on the treadmill and elliptical, I decided to add weights. That was a laugh. I was using the weight station my son left at home when he moved out. I could hardly move the things! But every time a weight got "easy" I added more weight. I am still at it, 5 months later. I was told at cardiac rehab to exercise 300 minutes a week. Yesterday, I did 105 minutes of exercise. It is now exhilerating. I will never look like a 20 something body builder, but I am stronger and healthier. I am still struggling with my diet and weight loss is very slow, but I feel so much better. My blood pressure has dropped and my meds have been cut back, and I'm working on lowering my blood sugar. So it can be done no matter how old or fat you are. You just have to start out slow and keep at it. If you go to an aerobics class or do an aerobic tape, modify. Instead of kicking when everyone else is kicking, just slightly lift your foot. Because you are so out of shape, that will be aerobic FOR YOU. You won't get that terrible soreness that makes everyone quit and eventually, you will be kicking with the best of them. You can do it!

Carol
  • Awesome article! Thanks so much for posting : )
  • Thanks
    Thanks Neli for the post great information!
  • I just found this and it's awesome- thank you, Nelie!

I've been going to the gym for just over a week now and I'm meeting with a trainer tomorrow- I definitely plan on talking about this article and incorporating strength training into my new routine!