yucca root

• Does anyone know where to buy it? Or more information about it?

I heard they can be a good substitute for fries.
  • Jicama is also a good sub. I find it has a bit of a sweet flavor, but if you let them dry out a bit and balance it with other flavors, yum.

I would assume the Yucca would be around where the Jicama is kept in the supermarkets. Also asian markets usually have them as well. I would look toward the other root type veggies. That is where I find them anyhow.

You can bake, dehydrate, or eat them raw I believe at least for the Jicama. If you look on Google there are a lot of ways to prepare either. They look so good haha. I love fries.
  • OOOHhhh I adore this stuff. Yes, it is like a "thick" textured potato. Excellent flavor with many more health benefits.

You can get it fresh. By far, I have had much more luck using frozen yucca. I buy it in 5 lb. packages at Fiesta--which is a supermarket largely geared towards the hispanic culture. It's super easy--you just boil it.

Butternut Squash is also an EXCELLENT sub for potatoes. I doctor mine with diced ham, onion, salt and pepper and fat-free sour cream. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference except for color.
  • Oh I love squash. I should try that. I think the farm stand I go to is now producing tons of squash.

I do my Jicama fries with a bit of vinegar or lime juice, a pinch of sea salt, pepper, and sometimes some chili powder. hehe.
  • Jacquie--do you cook them?

Funny you mention the jicama. There is a south american rest. near me with a fantastic lunch. Last time I went I "dumped" the entire bowl of jicama onto my plate off the salad bar. LOL. They cut them like fries and I eat a ton of the stuff before I start getting into all the other things there.
  • You don't cook Jicama, or at least I never have.

I see Yucca all the time at the store.
  • Quote: Funny you mention the jicama. There is a south american rest. near me with a fantastic lunch. Last time I went I "dumped" the entire bowl of jicama onto my plate off the salad bar. LOL.
    You made me laugh this morning I can so see that.
  • ROFL. I should also mention there was a buffet guy there waiting to refill a bunch of things. His eyebrows went up when I dumped it out. LOL.
  • Quote: You don't cook Jicama, or at least I never have.

I see Yucca all the time at the store.
    I've never cooked it either. You can dehydrate it though, some raw foodist do that, but I just cut it thin, let it dry out a bit, then toss it around with some seasoning and etc.

Quote:
    Funny you mention the jicama. There is a south american rest. near me with a fantastic lunch. Last time I went I "dumped" the entire bowl of jicama onto my plate off the salad bar. LOL. They cut them like fries and I eat a ton of the stuff before I start getting into all the other things there.
    Haha... I do love it when I try something new and I get all into it lol. I recently discovered I loved plums...I had like plums for two weeks lol.

I do like jicama, but gotta try the yucca too.