tell me about it

• Am trying to decide what kind of eating plan I want to go with.
    I'd like to hear from people who are using this plan, what it is, how it works for you etc.
    thanks in advance
  • MRC is awesome~ It's very strict, easy to follow. I love it!
  • Quote:
    Am trying to decide what kind of eating plan I want to go with.
    I'd like to hear from people who are using this plan, what it is, how it works for you etc.
    thanks in advance
    fatmad
    As I don't believe there are MRC centers in Canada, this is a program that you could possibly do by mail order, although I understand anything shipped to Canada is probably quite expensive.

It is high protein and low-carb. Restrictive in that you don't eat processed foods, no alcohol, no caffeine, no dairy. There are dietary supplements that are optional, but you do need to purchase HNS or high nutrient supplements/protein drinks--that is where the high protein component comes from.

Those of us close to a center weigh in twice a week for accountability-counselors review our food journals, take blood pressure and check ketones. The centers also offer classes such as behavior modification, addictions, and cooking. Then there is a stabilization and maintenance component to reintroduce foods and maintain weight loss.

Those that do mail order could tell you the specifics if you are really interested.
  • Quote:
    Am trying to decide what kind of eating plan I want to go with.
    thanks in advance
    fatmad, I just came across a canadian site called Ideal Protein that makes products similar to what MRC uses. You maybe able to do MRC as a distance client but buy your High Nutrient Supplements locally. Here is their website http://labidealprotein.ca/

As Msim was saying, we are given a menu guideline sheet depending on how much we weigh to start, what kind of medical concerns we have, what kind of lifestyle we lead, what our dietary preferences are, how much weight we want to lose, etc. For example, breakfast may be 2 oz protein from hard cheese, 4 oz lowfat cottage cheese or 2 med eggs, combined with 40 cal of starch from wheat bread, Melba toast, or oatmeal. With this we would have one HNS which has 15 grams of protein and possibly a Fiber supplement with 5 grams fiber. We are to eat within 1 hour of waking up, next meal should be no later than 5 hours later with dinner 5 hours after that. We are to eat our meal within an hours time. We may have an HNS 'snack' mid-morning or mid-afternoon. We eat our own foods, selected from lists recommended for each meal, weigh the amounts after cooking so we get the correct proportions of protein, carbs and fat at each meal. We are to drink minimum 64 oz water plus 8 oz for each (10 or 20 lbs, can't remember which) over weight, plus 8 oz extra when exercising. I just drink about 120 oz every day.

Jaimesgettinskinny is right, it is strict, it is restrictive also but the closer you follow it, the better your results. It is designed to protect your lean muscle mass so you only burn your own fat. You should not feel hungry or tired if everything is working as it should. This is a wonderful program and I am very happy I found it. I have lost 27 pounds in 3 months with about 8 pounds to go before I begin Stabilization and Maintenance. MRC does work to help us learn how to keep the pound off once we have lost them. This should be the last 'diet' we every do. We don't usually call it a 'diet' - it is a program to relearn how to eat properly and healthfully.

Best of luck to you. jeanette
  • My center doesn't offer classes - at least not yet. I would LOVE to go to a behavior modification and addiction class!