Naturally thin people just don't get it!

• I was talking to this girl last night about my weight loss and she was asking me all kinds of questions. She is 17 and naturally thin, doesn't exercise and eats fast food all the time. When I told her I had lost 12 pounds in two months she said 'You need to hit the gym more. You should be losing 12 pounds a month!" I tried to explain to her that you're only supposed to lose about 2 pounds per week and even so it's not an exact science (you don't lose weight EVERY week, and I AM human, I do make mistakes).

Anyone else get "advice" from people who don't know what they're talking about?
  • oh...all the time! And people's ignorance slays me. I love the..."you should try this..." or "so-and-so lost weight doing this..."
    I also love the..."I lost 8lbs doing the x diet for 2 weeks"
    RAWR! lol

Don't let it get you down though....that's why a place like this is so precious...we are all here for each other and for the most part are incredibly knowledgeable and want the best for ourselves and each other.
    Keep your chin up...you're doing great!
  • This is why I don't discuss my diet and exercise with outside people. My husband tried to tell me "just eat two meals a day, you can eat whatever you want as long as it's only two meals a day."

I was like babe eating how you eat is EXACTLY what made me gain 45 pounds after we got married... I can't eat like him and sometimes he doesn't understand that
  • Advice from the spouses is even worse to me. Today my husband said that I need to "push myself more" when I do weights because I'm not sore the next day. I told him that when I do weights it already kicks my butt and if I push myself too hard I will give up. He doesn't get it.
  • 17 year olds are so cute.
  • Literally all of my friends are naturally thin and they definitely don't get it. I've gotten into it with them quite a few times and they didn't understand for a long while. I still think they don't full understand.

One thing that bothered me was that they couldn't understand that certain things are harder for me than it is for them. I walk 4 miles per day. For my weight, I think that's pretty good! But they've always told me to push harder and do more. They couldn't understand why it was harder for me to do more or push harder than I already was.

I told them to imagine having two of eachother on their backs for a full day. Going up a hill, walking, sitting down, bending, picking things up, etc. Not so easy, right? That seemed to make it "click" for them.

I think unless someone has been overweight themselves, they won't ever truly "get it".

Congrats on your loss!
  • Hello ladies, my daughter says hello also. Speaking of thin people, my daughter has watched me struggle with weight all her life. It was when I was pregnant that I gained 2 people...my daughter and another me....hehehe...My daughter, D, realizes how difficult and life consuming healthy eathing is for me....She's 13 and not fat, although has always been in the 90th percentile on growth charts. This summer she has done well, almost looks like she gained an inch in height and not gained weight. Anywho......yes, thin people have no clue unless they have been there, done that, and maintaining now.....I almost think being thin is a disadvantage, that person never learns about themselves....I'm not sure what I'm learning....still in the process....One of my nurse coworkers, about 5 feet tall and petite, and cute, and young.....stated to me "you look so good, did you have a major life change or something.....? hummmm, something all right,,, I didn't even go into the details.......so yes, it is why I so dearly love this site, from ww blogs to OA blogs, this place has helped me in my moments of need. THANK YOU EVERYONE.....
  • Luckily my boyfriend's pretty smart about how weight loss works and is fully supportive of how I'm handling my plan; he doesn't offer any weird, senseless advice to me, nor does he try to talk me into eating the same way he does.

Not that other people in my life haven't. It must be the naturally thin people that eat whatever they want and do next to nothing that think of us as lazy slobs.
  • Well. I don't understand thin people. the ones that eat half a sandwich or one bite of pie, half an apple is a lot to them,. this is just the natural way they eat.I never say, " is that all your going to eat ?".What they eat or what I eat is no ones business but ours.