processed SB-friendly foods without sugar alcohols

• Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions for mostly desserty type things that I can buy in a grocery store that are Splenda sweetened and do NOT contain xylitol, maltitol, sorbitol, etc. I'm one of those people who can't tolerate those sweeteners - I blow up like a hot air balloon after even just a stick of sugar free gum and am miserable the rest of the day.

I'm also not very inclined to cook most of the time. Mixing some stuff into ricotta cheese is about my limit of complexity, unless I get into a baking mood once or twice a month. This is mostly to be social. My normal-weight husband likes to drive out to the ice cream parlor and lately I've been packing my ricotta creme just to have something so we can eat together.

I'm not really craving right now and sometimes lately I don't even think about having something sweet, but eating together (and eating the same things) is such a nice family thing.

Are there any desserts you can think of that I can just throw into a grocery cart that don't have sugar alcohols in them? Most of the puddings, cookies, even sugar-free syrups I've seen contain them.

Thank you!!!
  • I'm not where I can look but alot of the SF fudgesicles are sweetened with Splenda. That's my favorite evening treat. Now on P2, I even take it off the stick, put it in a bowl and add a few berries or a whipped topping. It seems some of the whipped toppings use Splenda.
  • I like to put some frozen fruit (berries, peaches, cantalope, etc.) in a blender or Magic Bullet and whip it with a little agave nectar. It makes a great sorbet-type dessert. Another favorite dessert is nonfat Greek yogurt topped with toasted nuts of your choice and a drizzle of agave.
    A fresh, ripe piece of fruit in season is also a satisfying dessert.
  • The only sugar free fudgesicles with Splenda that I can find around here are the Healthy Choice variety. I"m also looking for asparatame free though and if that's not an issue you will have more choices. Like Cottage my favorite desserts all involve Greek yogurt with various add-ins - peanut butter, cocoa & agave on days I have the calories to spare (I count them, I know SB doesn't), just sweetener and orange extract some days, a spoonful of sf jam others, etc. It's absolutely my favorite dessert.
  • The sugar alcohols bother me too. My favorite quick desserts are the peanut butter cup, and the warm brownie - both recipes are posted. They just require a quick mixing, no cooking really - well, the brownie goes in the microwave. When it's cool out, I really enjoy a hot cocoa made with skim milk and splenda.
  • I like making tofu pudding....just throw some tofu in a blender add a little milk, vanilla extract, splenda, and cocoa powder or cinnamon and mix it up. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before eating or the tofu will be the dominant taste. Without the cocoa powder, it kind of reminds me of rice pudding a little bit minus the rice texture.
  • Honestly, you may have a very hard time finding premade sweets without sugar alcohols. It may require you to work to make your own desserts--but that's a decision you'll have to make. One item you might want to check out is CarbSmart chocolate chips (formerly Eat Well, Be Well). They are made without sugar alcohols. Here are the ingredients:
    Quote:
    Ingredients: Chocolate liquor, polydextrose (soluble fiber), cocoa butter, cocoa powder, soy lecithin, sodium bicarbonate, vanilla, acesulfame potassium, sucralose.
    I haven't had them since they changed their name, but I loved the Eat Well, Be Well products. They make great cookies and are delicious in other items, easy to melt and very yummy. You can find them here: http://www.carbsmart.com/minichips.html

You might also check health food stores or the health food section of your grocery store for products sweetened with agave. When you've been in P2 for a while, you can try messing with things sweetened with maple syrup or other sweeteners to see if you can handle small amounts of them.

As for other items, I love Organicville dressings--they are made with agave nectar and are delicious!

Try the Kashi frozen meals...they are often SBD-safe, but you have to read the ingredients, since some have sugar.

Try Erewhon's Raisin Bran cereal--it doesn't have any added sugar.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. Aspartame works for me too. I can't find the Healthy Choice fudgecicle bars, but I'll keep looking. And I'll try to track down those chocolate chips! It's okay if I make something and keep it on hand, but so hard to do any cooking with a 14 month old who has discovered how to pull down the oven door!
  • Laurie,

Thanks again for the carbsmart web site and your suggestions. They have a lot without sugar alcohols!

Deana