WLS Patient Personal Info

You're on Page 2 of 10
Go to
    Geographical location: Iowa

Marital Status: divorced

Children/Ages: 14 yearold son, 24 year old daughter, one son-in-law and two granddaughters and another ont he way.

Pets: 2 Cats, calico and 2 dogs, one older and one a puppy and a pooping machine...

Hobbies/Interests: My family, working on my house, quilting, reading

Height: 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Blonde

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: Just started
    Starting Weight: 375

Present Weight: 375
    Goal Weight: 150 (or even a size 14)

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: food, stress
    Following any specific plan: ADkins with trying to convince my doctor that WLS is an option.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I just want to be one of the 'normal sized' people. Not too thin, a size 14 would be nice.

Marital Status: Married 9 years 9/10/03

Children/Ages: 5 1/2 yr old son (Alex), 4 yr old son (Jack), and 1 1/2 yr old daughter (Grace)

Pets: 13 yr old mini doxie (Molly), 8 yr old pomeranian (Abby), and 2 yr old guinnea pig (Brownie)

Interests: Rubber stamping, scrapbooking, reading

Height: 5'2" or 5'3"

Eye/Hair Color: Gray eyes, brown hair

Start date of Weightloss Journey: pretty much since I was born

Surgery Date: I don't have a date yet, but I do have an appointment with my PCP to get the referral to see the surgeon

Start Weight: 288

Current Weight: 288

Goal Weight: 125-130

Biggest Hurdle to overcome in weightloss: We are always on the go, so I don't exercise good eating habits

Following specific Plan: Nothing yet, but I hope to go the route of WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I've been exercising regularly for the last three months; that was never really something I did before. Also, I'm looking into take more permanent measures, such as WLS.
  • Hi to all I am glad that I found this sight. I am schudled for laproscopic ruex ny gastric by pass on Aug 29 and am very excited. Would like to hear from all how have had the lap as opposed to the open. How long is the recovery? I know that the eating of liquids and soft foods has to last about 6 weeks and that all insides need tender loving care but was wondering how I am going to feel about 2 1/2 weeks after the procedure. I have a trip planned but am willing to forgo this trip depending on how I feel.

First Name Marsha
    age 52
    height 5'1"
    happily married 33 years
    2 children both married daughter and a son
    5 grand children who are my life
    surgery date 8-29-03 can't wait
    highest weight 267
    present weight 205
    goal weight 115

Geographical location: Michigan

Marital Status: Married

Children/Ages: none

Pets: Tia, Tony, Punkin...supremely spoiled cats.

Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, Travel, Reading, Foreign films, celebrity gossip (guilty pleasure)

Height: 5'6"

Eye/Hair Color: Varies/Green

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: age 5? off and on since kindergarten, at least

Starting Weight: 325 (size 26/28)

Present Weight: 325

Goal Weight: 150-170

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Overcoming 'food-as-love'

Following any specific plan: WLS (lap RNY date: Oct 16th 2003)

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This method is far more serious than any other I have tried, but my hope is that I can at last be free from all this extra weight.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I'd really like to be a more active participant in this forum since I've been a lurker for years...

• Surgery November 4,2003
    I have decided that regular diets do not work for me.
    I have decided to go with gastric bypass laproscopic surgery.
    I was glad to see this on the message board.
    I have done all of the diets and they work at first, then I gain what I lost plus
    Name: Sharon
    Marital Status: Married with two children. One daughter will be 11 in November and one son who will be 16 in January
    Pets: One Cat, Emily
    Hobbies/Interest: love to scrapbook, sew, want to desperately be healthy
    Hair Color/Eyes: Varies/blue/grey
    Starting date of journey: November 4th
    Present Weight: 314
    Goal Weight: 130-140
    Biggest Hurdle to oversome in weightloss: Holidays with all of the fancy food. Bread-Pizza-cheese
    Following any specific plan: Nov 4 2003 laproscopic gastric bypass

Geographical location: Southern Illinois

Age: 48 (have two years to go then I can start going backwards 49-48-47 ect)

Marital Status: Married for over 28 years!

Children/Ages: 3 Children, 2 girls 27 and 25 and one son 23
    one Grandson who we raise, 3ys, 10 months going on 25 years!

Occupation: I Work full time as a Dietary Manager ! No, I do not cook the food, but supervise the cooks

Pets: 1 Shitzu, who refuses to be house broke!

Hobbies/Interests: I like to sit back and watch the home remodeling shows, gamble, and play cards, Euchre ect. and reading romance novels

Height: 5'4"

Eye/Hair Color: strawberry blonde, /blue

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: I started exploring surgery options back in April of 2003, It's now close to November and I am waiting for approval and a date!

Starting Weight: 285

Present Weight: 285

Goal Weight: 130-160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: eating slower, and limiting intake

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This has been approved by my doctor and he has supported me in my quest
  • Real name - Karen

Location - California

Age - 47

Marital Status- Divorced for 11 wonderful years

Children- 29 daughter-22 daughter-15 son- 2 grandchildren

Occupation- Case Manager for mentally ill adults

Pets- African Grey Parrot - 2 cats-fish

Hobbies- gardening, fishing, camping.

Height- 5'7"

Brown hair/eyes

Highest Weight 307
    Current-289

I haven't had surgery yet, I have approval and orientation and the surgeon appointment are schedulled for Jan/04

MARITAL STATUS: Married 13 years
    CHILDREN/AGES: 1 Boy, 12 years old
    PETS: 1 dog & fish
    HEIGHT: 5'7
    EYE/HAIR COLOR: green/loreal 4r
    HOBBIES/INTERESTS: playing on internet, reading, crafts, cooking/baking, making jewlery, playing with my son.
    STARTING WEIGHT: 520
    PRESENT WEIGHT: hopefully less than that!

STARTING DATE OF WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY: After high school, I have dieted my way up the scales. Started this journey for wls this past July after a 2 week stay in the hospital. I finally realized how much trouble I was in, and that I needed help.

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE: I have just completed all my tests that my surgeon wanted done before scheduling surgery. I have a few follow-up appointments yet to go to, but my biggest hurdle I guess is losing the weight I need to lose before they can do the surgery, need to be way under 500. I am on Atkins, and I am having a hard time with sticking to it, although this seems to be one of the easier ones for me personally to follow, does that make any sense?

I am also glad Jiff told me about this website, it has been very helpful.
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARITAL STATUS: Married 2 ys, together 6
    CHILDREN/AGES: 2 Girls, 5ys and 7mos
    PETS: 1 cat and fish
    HEIGHT: 5'6
    EYE/HAIR COLOR: blue, "fortune cookie" (blondish)
    HOBBIES/INTERESTS: playing on internet, cooking/baking, playing with my kids
    STARTING WEIGHT: 348 (although I was 2 months preg, so probably closer to 400 by now)
    PRESENT WEIGHT: will guess 370

STARTING DATE OF WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY: I was in third grade, and realized I had a double chin, that started my Dad on making me go to weight watchers with my step mom, which then gave me an awful complex, I have dieted every which way but up and have it in my head that I am not as big as I am. I have put on roughly 50 lbs a year for the past 3 years or so , largly in part of moving to WA, I was born and raised in AZ. I miss it. I am a strong emotional eater
    ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE: I have finally taken the first of many steps to determining why I eat why I do, and am coming clean with my hubby about everything but the numbers on the scale. I hit rock bottom when during the delivery of my second daughter, my stomach had to be taped back so expose the area that needed to be cut (csection). That was the most horrible experience of my life. After my first daughter was born, I was on bedrest for several months, which caused my stomach to "fall" and being preg again with the extra weight just really made it a lot worse.

You know, it is really an eye opener when you have to write all this stuff, almost like saying it out loud for the first time
  • all about PMomma
    Geographical location: Houston
    Marital Status: married 8+ years
    Children/Ages: 3 yo boy, 2 yo girl. They are 13 months apart.
    Occupation: SAHM. I lay on the couch all day and the children feed me peeled grapes.
    Pets: No, thanks
    Hobbies/Interests: working on potty training right now. For the boy, not for me.
    Height: 5' 0"
    Eye/Hair Color: blue/ L'Oreal "Light Ash Blonde"
    Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: birth
    Starting Weight: 205-ish
    Present Weight: I don't like scales...
    Goal Weight: ...and I don't plan to look anymore. I'm all about the clothes, baby.
    Biggest hurdle to overcome since WLS: not eating and drinking at the same time
    Following any specific plan: Looking for suggestions. I have trouble getting enough protein and I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. Any ideas?
    What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Had lap band surgery 7/28/04
    Anything else you would like to share with us: Desperately seeking menu ideas, recipes, anything along those lines. Thanks to all for your trememdous support!
  • NAME: Monica

LOCATION: Washington State right now, but originally from Arkansas

MARITAL STATUS: Married 18 years

CHILDREN: I have 4... 17 year old boy, 13 year old girl, 6 year old boy, 2 1/2 year old girl who is way too sassy for her little self.

PETS: I've got 4 of those too. Reba (a red pomeranian), Coco (a brown and black pomeranian), and Elvis and Priscilla are our Great dane puppies.

OCCUPATION: Registered Nurse specializing in Neonatal Intensive Care.

HEIGHT: 5' 1"

HAIR COLOR: Blonde

EYE COLOR: Blue

PREOP WEIGHT: 230

SURGERY DATE: 08/18/04

TYPE OF WLS: LRNY

PRESENT WEIGHT: 213

GOAL WEIGHT: Right now it's a small goal, to be under 200 before I have to go back to work. I really don't feel like I have much control over it. This is the first time in 3 years that my weight has budged, so I'm happy with my results so far.

Hobbies/Interests I love music. I'm a computer geek, I make meaningless things like signatures and avatars and junk. I do the backgrounds for a couple of disscussion boards. I'm really into photography.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: Well I like that I don't have any choice but to eat right or face the consequences, KWIM. I'm actually seeing results this time, and I'm loving it. I was afraid that I would be one of the unfortunate ones that I wouldn't work for.

Geographical Location: Bronx, NY

Marital Status: Married (4yrs)

Children/Ages: None

Pets: none

Hobbies/Interests: Family (my Husband and I)

Height: 5'2"

Eye/Hair Color: Dark Brown/ dyed auburn

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: 3/1/04

Starting Weight: 238 was my heaviest (before surgery)

Present Weight: 215.6

Goal Weight: 150 - 160

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Cooking something that isn't so bland and getting in those protein shakes (12oz a day)

Following any specific plan: WLS

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: This is a must do for me, not for everyone else.
  • Newbie!

Geographical location: San Diego, CA

Marital Status: Married 8 Long, but wonderful years

Children/Ages: 2 & 8 both boys

Degrees/Certs/Skills: Degree in Home Interior Design
    Cert. Medical Assistant
    Cert. Phlebotomist
    Candle Consultant-for fun!

Pets: a kitty named Charlie'

Hobbies/Interests: singing, scrapbooking, interior design, and my children

Height: 5'4"

Eye/Hair Color: blue/light brown/red

Date of Surgery: January 26, 2005

Type of Surgery: Roux en Y gastric bypass

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: all began in 1999

Starting Weight: highest weight ever recorded: 260 in October 1999

Weight at surgery: 247

Present Weight: 247

Goal Weight: 140, although realistically id love to be under 200

Biggest hurdle to overcome in managing after WLS: willpower and increasing water intake.

Geographical location: Saskatchewan

Marital Status: Happily Married

Children/Ages: Boy age 10 and a girl age 7

Pets: Cat - Simon (Himilayan/Siamese/Persian Mix)

Hobbies/Interests: Music, Paint Shop Pro, Movies, Reading, Camping, Swimming, Photography, travelling and computers.

Height: 5'4" and I thought I was 5'6" all along.

Eye/Hair Color: Blonde hair with Green eyes

Starting Date of Weightloss Journey: My first appointment was back in May 2004. I had been waiting for exactly 1 year to see somebody. Possibly this April will be my surgery.

Starting Weight: 330lbs

Present Weight: 323lbs

Goal Weight: 143lbs

Biggest hurdle to overcome in weightloss: Eating Breakfast - 3 Meals a day, Drinking some water, not eating at night and to try not think about eating.

Following any specific plan: WLS & on my own until the surgery Dr. Phil's 7 Keys to Weight Loss Surgery. Also help from a Dietitian.

What is different this time in your weight loss efforts than in the past: I finally got to a point where I am scared to death of dying obese.

Anything else you would like to share with us: I am so looking forward to my final appointment on March 7th where I will learn the date of the actual surgery and what type of surgery I will have. I am so ready to get out of this fat trap or shell. I want to be healthy and thin by next summer.
  • Hi all I am new.

Marital Status: Married

Children: 2 boys ages 16&13

Pets: 2American Bulldogs 1male and 1 female,1cat

Hieght:5'9"

Weight: Post-op 335, current 245, goal 165

Date of surgery: oct.1,2004

WLS has changed my life. I am a much happier person, people say I have a different glow and my self esteem is beginning to come back. It has been gone for a long time. I feel so much better and have so much more energy.All the back and leg pain is gone along with the swollen ankles.I am so thankful to websites like these where people have been where I have been abd know the affects of obesity first hand.Obesity negativaly affects all aspects of our lives whether it be physically,emotionally or psychological. I in a size 18 from a tight 26 and I and so greatful to my surgeon, his staff,my family and friends that have supported me through this ordeal.