Busy Moms - How Do You Do It?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey everyone - I am a working mom with a 14 month old very active daughter. How do you find the time/energy/motivation to exercise? My husband and I were very active prior to me getting PG...my husband is still active, but I have had a very hard time getting back into the swing of things. By the time I get home from work, spend time with my daughter, clean around the house, I am pooped! I know exercising will help with my energy levels and I want to work out in the mornings, but I just can't drag myself out of bed early enough. Any suggestions on how you do it would be appreciated!!!
  • You can start with taking your daughter outside to the park. Walking there and back. I also have a young son and we do something almost every day when Iget off work. Running around with him and I also go to the gym they have a nursery there so it all works out.

I know the feeling I use to feel that way but you can fit it in you have to make time. Its possible, good luck
  • I invested in a great jogging stroller.I actually exercised more when my kids were small than I do not that they are teenagers.I didnt feel guilty because they were always with me!!
  • I get my work out in early, very early. If your husband can stay home with the baby in the morning, is it an option to go at like 5 a.m.? I know..I know...thats REALLY early but, thats what I have to do. I have an 8 year old and am a single mom. I work full time and do all the cooking, cleaning, taking care of 2 dogs, homework, lawn work and soccer practice for my daughter. Somehow...someway, I manage to do the gym 5 days a week and walk/run 7 days a week. If you cant go to a gym...maybe do a workout DVD? I am usually zapped by 930 at night and am sleeping, but hey...it works and it doesnt take away time from my daughter or other household duties.
  • Unfortunately, my jogging stroller has collected dust in my garage. My husband's boss bought us a BOB stroller because I used to run a lot before getting PG, but maybe if I use it to take my daughter to the park (instead of driving there) I could get exercise that way.

That will be my goal for the day - use the jogging stroller to take my daughter to the park this evening.
  • Luckylindy: That's another option that I tried this morning. It didn't work too well...LOL, I guess just hearing that y'all make it work for you, I can make it work for me too!

THANKS!!
  • I get up at 5:30 to run most mornings. Some mornings I am just too tired and that's okay. But I do it most mornings. And when I don't want to, I think about my sil who gets up at 4:30 most mornings to run. That makes me feel downright lazy.
  • I have a 13 month old and a 27 month old I stay home with and care for - life's busy, but never too busy to exercise, but I believe you must schedule it in and MAKE it a priority, like any other chore or responsibility, or it will never get done. I just told myself that for the sake OF my girls I had to take care of myself and improve my health, so I do. I work out here, at home, with my recumbent exercise bike or exercise videos, while the girls sleep. Some mornings they wake earlier than normal, and I can't exercise because I am caring for them (I live in Alaska, so the weather is often too inclement to make going outside practical) so I wait until their nap, instead. But all I do is make a half hour of exercise a priority in my day, and almost every weekday it gets done.

Heck, sometimes the schedule is so wonky I can only move when my husband is bathing them and putting them to bed, so I do it then. But even with all my responsibilities, which will soon include homeschooling as well, there is always time for small amounts of exercise if I set my mind to it. I just tell myself it is too important to not do, and buckle down and do it. I'm committed, so I make it work

Some days are tough, definitely, but maybe look at your typical day and see where a 30 minte block of time can be carved out for movement - maybe even just marching in place during the commercial segments of your favorite show? It adds up, with just a little extra effort put in.
  • Although I'm a sahm I did have trouble finding a schedule that worked for me.

I have twin 3 yr olds and two older boys I need to get ready for school in the mornings. Since my girls don't like to occupy themselves during my cardio workouts (that I do daily) and I'm nervous about using the treadmill with them around (especially since it's in the messy basement ), I have started doing my workouts before everyone wakes up. Usually around 5:15-5:30'ish. I can get my workout in before hubby leaves for work, get lunches made, backpacks packed, etc. usually before anyone wakes up.

On the days that I need to do strength training, I end up doing that while the girls are eating breakfast and playing. I do get interrupted a lot (like today) and sometimes it takes a lot longer than it should, but in the end I do get it done so I'm a happy camper.

I used to do my cardio at night, but it started keeping me up later than I wanted to be--especially after a shower and a little down time.

Figuring out an exercise schedule takes a little trial and error, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you!
  • I have 4 kids! 8,6,2, and 17 months! I am also a full time student! I have a ridiculous schedule and I get exhausted! I workout after the kids go to bed....I dont have much time before then..My 17 month old is a brat and he doesnt let go of my leg for most of the day..He just started walking a month ago....hes not slow he just wouldnt he would say "NO! NO! NO!....".....SO workout after dinner after the kids are in bed....Unles your work schedule conflicts that too! Try it....
  • Quote: Although I'm a sahm I did have trouble finding a schedule that worked for me.

I have twin 3 yr olds and two older boys I need to get ready for school in the mornings. Since my girls don't like to occupy themselves during my cardio workouts (that I do daily) and I'm nervous about using the treadmill with them around (especially since it's in the messy basement :blush, I have started doing my workouts before everyone wakes up. Usually around 5:15-5:30'ish. I can get my workout in before hubby leaves for work, get lunches made, backpacks packed, etc. usually before anyone wakes up.

On the days that I need to do strength training, I end up doing that while the girls are eating breakfast and playing. I do get interrupted a lot (like today) and sometimes it takes a lot longer than it should, but in the end I do get it done so I'm a happy camper.

I used to do my cardio at night, but it started keeping me up later than I wanted to be--especially after a shower and a little down time.

Figuring out an exercise schedule takes a little trial and error, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you!
    My son burned his fingers on a treadmill...learned my lesson...he was like 4 but he wasn't that good at listening....He is now! lol....It burned the bottoms of his fingers very bad....No blood just pain and 2 weeks to heal....NO treadmills....but I wish I could have one now....I would walk and watch TV....
  • Quote: My son burned his fingers on a treadmill...learned my lesson...he was like 4 but he wasn't that good at listening....He is now! lol....It burned the bottoms of his fingers very bad....No blood just pain and 2 weeks to heal....NO treadmills....but I wish I could have one now....I would walk and watch TV....
    See, that's exactly the kind of thing that would happen. Either that or they'd try to get up onto the darn thing while I was running and go flying across the room as a result! So yeah, needless to say, I do my cardio alone!
  • I just wanted to add that the house can stay dirty while you go work out- it's just going to get dirty the next day anyways, maybe hubby can help more with house cleaning so you have more time to work out?

I used to make excuses to do everything else BUT workout- now I make working out my priority
  • At one point I got up at 5am, but I'm just not a morning person. I can't do it. So for a long while I'd walk during my lunch hour. Now I've incorporated in evening activities too. I come home, play with the kids, get dinner on, get them in bed & then workout.
  • Oh, I also wanted to add that I get off work at 4pm so I do have a little more evening time. I love that I switched my work day an hour earlier!