I.Can.Not.Lose.Weight!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • OK, so my trainer weighed me about two weeks ago and I weighed 162.5 with clothes on. This was at the end of the day.

My food and exercise have been *on*! 1-hr of hard cardio 2-3x a week. 45 mins of weight training 2x a week. Good eating. (Though I have been somewhat constipated -- sorry if TMI. I'm taking probiotics now and hopefully that will help to regulate me some.)

And, yet, here I am. Two weeks later and weighed in at 161.5 naked at home this morning. Arrgggh!

My *** feels tighter, but why the heck can't I even drop one pound?

Maybe I need Jillian's Quick Start pills...
  • Hah..don't go into the light, Carol Ann...

How many calories are you eating each day? Are you eating enough to fuel your body? Are you eating more than your body needs?
  • I am eating approx 1600 calories a day. 100g from carbs (oats, whole grain bread, veggies -- none after 2pm), 30-50g fat (mostly unsaturated), 160g from protein (mostly chicken, lean ground beef, ff cottage cheese, egg beaters).

I think I may be a little low on fat, but it's hard to find ways to get it in.
  • The key thing that I noticed in this post is that you weighed in at your gym on one scale at one time of the day and then weighed in at home on another. My gym scale and home scale vary as much as 5 pounds almost everytime, Ill even weigh myself before going to the gym, then weigh myself once I get to the gym (within 30 minutes of each other) and there will be a 5 pound difference. So...that being said...I wouldnt stress too much about it unless the scale gym (where you started) states the same thing.

Is it possible that you are consuming too few calories? Thats what happened with me, I was doing an hour at the gym, hard cardio 3 days and weights 2 days, and running 2 miles a day AND doing Jillians 30DS and I still didnt lose anything because I was consuming too few calories.

Keep it up girly...you'll get there.
  • Well, I'm doing 1-hr of cardio, 3 days a week (Tues, Friday, Sunday) and weight training pretty hard 2 days a week (Monday, Thursday). I take Weds and Saturday off. I'm not running (because I'm always hungry and eat like a horse when I'm training for a race and get fatter - LOL) and not doing the 30DS.

I think I'm eating enough. Like I said, maybe need to work in more fat, because sometimes I get crazy cravings in the evenings. I'll talk to my trainer... when she wants to know why I haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks! She's a bit Jillian-like. I'm scared!

There's no difference between my gym scale and home scale. I calibrated them. Yes, I'm a little OCD.
  • First, let me just say that it sounds like you're doing GREAT with eating well and exercising, so congrats!!

If you're just starting out, sometimes weight loss is really unpredictable the first few weeks.. some people lose a ton immediately, some don't lose at all for a month. You just need to trust that you're doing the right thing and stick with it.

The constipation is probably part of the issue... you could easily be holding a pound of waste that you didn't have last time you were weighed.

Is it possible you were a little dehydrated the first day?

Could it be hormonal? A lot of women gain weight before or during their TOM.

Do you track your sodium? Were the past 2 days any higher than usual?

Have you slept less? More? Caught a cold? Been especially stressed? Spent more time in the heat than usual? There are sooo many things that can impact your weight (usually just due to water retention). Two weeks isn't really enough to know whether your plan is working for you or not.
  • Before having kids I lost about 45 pounds. At first my start was SUPER slow. It just didn't seem like I was making any progress. Then low & behold that 45 pounds dropped off me in 4 months!! Sometimes it just takes our bodies a moment or two to catch up. Don't give up, don't give in just keep on keepin on
  • I'm not just starting out. I've lost 25-30 pounds over the past few years. I'm really, really ready to drop the last 15-20 that have been lingering for far too long.

I have an IUD, so not TOM ever. I don't track sodium, but I eat mostly whole foods, so I would think it would be hard to overdo it.

Yes, I am not sleeping. Yes, I am stressed. Yes, I have been in the heat.

I suppose I'll just have to stick it out. I am mostly just whining, I guess.
  • Maybe it's possible you reached a plateau. I stayed the same weight for almost a month. Every time I went to weigh the scale would go up or down a pound but eventually come down to the same weight. It was VERY frustrating and disappointing. Finally, last week I dropped 2lbs. My suggestion is keep doing what you are doing (eating well and exercise) and you WILL see the change. Be patient . I know it's probably not what you want to hear .

Also, from what I hear and have read it's hardest to lose the last 10-15 lbs.
  • I would also say that you need to weigh on the same scale. Scales are different. And really 2 weeks is a short blip on the radar of weight loss. A month is more telling than 2 weeks. So I'd keep doing what you are doing and weigh yourself again on the same scale.
  • Heat, stress, no sleep can all affect the scale.
    When I hit a plateau I was eating perfectly within my range and exercising like crazy. Finally, I added 200 calories per day and cycled my calories. The weight started to come off again.
  • I'm really confused... if your butt is tighter, isn't that the point?!

Come on folks... this is about fat loss, not weight loss!
  • Ija: Of course I'm happy my butt is tighter! But I really do want to get to a healthy weight. So, I want to make any tweaks to my diet and exercise routine to accomplish that.
  • As has already been said, but it bears repeating. Weigh at the same time,, on the same scale under the same conditions. After potty break, before food or water and nude , Use this to record your weight. Weighing on a different scale, later in the day with clothing will be different. Also, you may be weighing too often. It is normal for your weight to fluctuate. If you weigh less often you won't see the fluctuations and will save yourself a lot of frustration.
  • HOORAY FOR A TIGHTER ***!!! I agree eat more, exercise less (don't pig out and don't stop exercising). See what your body does. you might be suprised.